Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 21:22   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Jeep service personnel poured 'mopar 0w20 diesel engine oil' in my petrol Jeep compass during scheduled service, confidently telling me that it is ok to use this oil in all bs6 cars regardless of whether it's a diesel or petrol engine and that they've been using this oil in all the petrol cars lately..
They might not be entirely wrong if it is an ACEA C2/C3 engine oil. Do you have the spec for that oil?
Old 11th May 2023, 21:53   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The best answer would be "go to amazon and find whichever 5w30 or 0w30 ACEA C2 - or even C3 - you like best, that is fully synthetic and suits your pocket". Shell, Mobil, Castrol, Idemitsu, Valvoline .. take your pick. Or if you feel particularly rich, Amsoil, Addinol, Castrol Edge etc.
Alredy did that and found "Liqui Moly Molygen New Generation 5W-30 ACEA C2, ACEA C3, API SN Fully Synthetic Engine Oil (4 L)"

Many don't specify ACEA rating and the other search results are weird volumes. And I don't feel rich .
Old 11th May 2023, 21:56   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Alredy did that and found "Liqui Moly Molygen New Generation 5W-30 ACEA C2, ACEA C3, API SN Fully Synthetic Engine Oil (4 L)"

Many don't specify ACEA rating and the other search results are weird volumes. And I don't feel rich .
Just search for ACEA C2 and look around.

Eg

https://www.amazon.in/Idemitsu-IFD-5...dp/B0BFJFVH29/

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-Ul...dp/B0863WM7C2/
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 22:09   #2554
BHPian

Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 API SN, ACEA C2/C3 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil for Petrol, Diesel and Hybrid Cars (4 L) https://amzn.eu/d/3Ahx0ZG

Found this a good match to what ASS charges. I assume 0w30 will be better protection at lower temperatures. Any reason why this should not be used if specifications say 5w30?
Old 11th May 2023, 22:18   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 API SN, ACEA C2/C3 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil for Petrol, Diesel and Hybrid Cars (4 L) https://amzn.eu/d/3Ahx0ZG

Found this a good match to what ASS charges. I assume 0w30 will be better protection at lower temperatures. Any reason why this should not be used if specifications say 5w30?
0w 5w 15w are just not going to make a difference unless you're in Ladakh or Spiti.
Old 12th May 2023, 14:20   #2556

I used 5w30 instead of 15w40 engine oil in my Isuzu Vcross 2.5 and drove for around 8000 Kms by now. I feel the sound of the engine has become a little harsh but I am not sure as it might be my delusion too. Did I commit a mistake by changing from 15w40 to 5w30 or is it good for a diesel engine?
Also is there any expiry date of engine oils as I couldn't find any on the packing/bottle. Only the manufacturing date was mentioned on the bottle which was from 2018. Experts please advise...
Old 14th May 2023, 17:01   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jeep service personnel poured 'mopar 0w20 diesel engine oil' in my petrol Jeep compass during scheduled service, confidently telling me that it is ok to use this oil in all bs6 cars regardless of whether it's a diesel or petrol engine and that they've been using this oil in all the petrol cars lately.

As per the service manual they were supposed to put 'mopar 0w30 gasoline engine oil'. It was only after I escalated the matter and offered to put this on social media as well as inform FCA that the service center in Pune accepted the blunder and replaced with the correct gasoline grade oil as recommended in the Jeep manual.
Mahindra uses same bs6 oil in both diesel and petrol engines from Day 1. It is 0w-20 grade.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 18:09   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Mahindra uses same bs6 oil in both diesel and petrol engines from Day 1. It is 0w-20 grade.
Mahindra must have clearly mentioned that in the owners manual then. If so their engine has been designed to accept that grade.

Problem with Jeep is that on one hand they warn not to use any other oil than the one prescribed in the owners manual, that too only Mopar approved citing warranty, and at the same time put different grade which according to the manual is meant for the 2.0 turbo diesel along with ADBLUE inspite of having the recommended oil for the 1.4 petrol engine in stock.
argchoff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 21:19   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problem with Jeep is that on one hand they warn not to use any other oil than the one prescribed in the owners manual, that too only Mopar approved citing warranty, and at the same time put different grade which according to the manual is meant for the 2.0 turbo diesel along with ADBLUE inspite of having the recommended oil for the 1.4 petrol engine in stock.
You can hold their feet to the fire if they insist on doing that, assuming the 2.0 turbo diesel is a bs4 car and your petrol is a bs6 one. Else oils for one bs6 should mostly be compatible with other bs6 across petrol and diesel, given the typical spec most car manufacturers use (which are dual petrol diesel ones)
Old 15th May 2023, 03:15   #2560
BHPian

The car in question is a 2015 S-Cross (odo at 86k+) which has seen brands like Castrol Magnatec/Idemitsu/Mobil 3000 X1 all of the same spec between 43k to 86k kms and is due for a change. A friend has been recommending TotalEnergies as a better alternative and I've tried searching but couldn't find much info about the TotalEnergies 8000 NFC 5w30 oil which is ACEA A5/B5 spec.

The car runs 60% on highways, almost always in the 2.5-3k rpm turbo range and is frequently taken to the hills. Does it even matter which of all the 4 mentioned above is poured in?

If yes, would like to have a recommendation order as some oils are out of stock in the market. Thanks in advance
Old 15th May 2023, 03:31   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
Does it even matter which of all the 4 mentioned above is poured in?
In my personal experience, I didn't find any major difference between Mobil Super 3000 & Total 8000 NFC.

As you said your car usually drives at 2.5-3k rpm you should have a look at AMS XL 5w30 it is a good A5B5 engine oil and is more suitable for your needs.
Old 15th May 2023, 04:27   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-driver View Post
In my personal experience, I didn't find any major difference between Mobil Super 3000 & Total 8000 NFC.

As you said your car usually drives at 2.5-3k rpm you should have a look at AMS XL 5w30 it is a good A5B5 engine oil and is more suitable for your needs.
Medium priced synthetic oils will have medium to acceptable quality and Total (French MNC) might not be different from other MNC offerings from Shell, Mobil etc in the price range. If you want to try a premium full synthetic from Amsoil, Addinol, Castrol Edge in 5w30 acea c3 etc then feel free. It will make a difference in the perceived engine smoothness at least.
Old 19th May 2023, 00:07   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to stick to mineral there is also Mobil Delvac MX and the even more premium - for a mineral - Mobil 1 Delvac full synthetic.
Is Mobil Delvac 1 avaliable in online or offline stores anywhere in Bangalore?
Old 19th May 2023, 03:12   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Is Mobil Delvac 1 avaliable in online or offline stores anywhere in Bangalore?
Try with JK Automobiles, off JC Road.
Old 17th June 2023, 16:54   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
It is a much more recent formulation than the Amsoil formulations available in the Indian market (not that it matters for an older generation of engine like the d4d) and the base oils are of the highest grade. Amsoil has an excellent additive package so you can buy that too.

Note - Your Fortuner will be just as happy on standard Toyota oil if changed at the 5k mark or so.
Thoughts on running 15W40, the manual says its ok if the temps are in range but 5W30 is preferred?
Some options I found after being alarmed at the price of Castrol Edge LL:I can see why you suggested the Shell HX8, it seems to hit the sweet spot.
Got quoted Rs.6600 for 2.5 gal (9.5L) for Amsoil 5W40, kinda leaning towards this for no good reason

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks