Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 14:58   #2491
Team-BHP Support

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I think you will be surprised.
This is the bit.

I do rev my engine, go to post 4K (I know it's unnecessary, but Italian tune-up) but only when the engine has done over ~100 kilometers without any stops and has continuously seen ~2K on the tacho for past few kms. I will say, that hum /whistle of the M-Hawk is intoxicating at low revs, it simply purrs. So, with more kms on the odo, was thinking. Was speaking to the mech and he cited few examples of VLX's with 3L to 4L on the odo.

I may keep the SUV for ~2 years, so that should see max 1.5L on the odo, unsure if I will retain it while upgrading or replace.
Old 13th December 2022, 15:56   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I have seen the exhaust and EGR bits of a Scorpio that has run more than 1L kms on OEM oil, clean as a whistle. A thicker oil will reduce the clatter at cold start (hydraulic tappets as they say) but once the engine is warmed up, its no different..
Same thickness of oil as the Feo is standard 5w30. Just check the performance and smoothness of the engine past 7-8k km and if it continues to run smooth then fine, feo works well.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 16:01   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This is the bit.

I do rev my engine, go to post 4K (I know it's unnecessary, but Italian tune-up) but only when the engine has done over ~100 kilometers without any stops and has continuously seen ~2K on the tacho for past few kms. I will say, that hum /whistle of the M-Hawk is intoxicating at low revs, it simply purrs. So, with more kms on the odo, was thinking. Was speaking to the mech and he cited few examples of VLX's with 3L to 4L on the odo.

I may keep the SUV for ~2 years, so that should see max 1.5L on the odo, unsure if I will retain it while upgrading or replace.
Lucky you, I have to mandatorily go up to 3.5 K rpms every other day (or in a week) for at least 10 secs to clear the EGR, otherwise there is a prominent jerk (shortness of breath in the engine) at low rpm sometimes.

Tata prescribes going 80km/hr in 2nd gear for 500 meters but I do it based on situation. One doesn't have to do it after 100 kms etc, just when the engine gets sufficiently warm, we can do this. It is mentioned multiple times in Tata Safari Technical Problem thread.

Regarding engine oil, the major brands sell oils which are equally protective for the engine like the Mahindra one, which you are using. However, the smoothness vary. Experiment with various oils and see what suits your driving style best. With this long change interval (10k to 15k kms usually), I doubt one can experiment much before selling the vehicle.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 13th December 2022 at 16:05.
Old 19th December 2022, 13:35   #2494

Quote:
Same thickness of oil as the Feo is standard 5w30. Just check the performance and smoothness of the engine past 7-8k km and if it continues to run smooth then fine, feo works well.
My innova diesel is due for service. Toyota SA mentions now they are using Toyota Synthetic 5W30 across all innovas. Any thoughts on Toyota synthetic vs others (Magnatech, Shell Helix) etc
Want to try out a good quality one for engine noise reduction
Old 25th December 2022, 12:56   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Heard a Shell outlet telling that 5W40 is discontinued and suggesting 0W40 as a replacement. Is that true? Or they just does not have stock? Is that recommended by the way.
Old 4th January 2023, 20:40   #2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 View Post
My innova diesel is due for service. Toyota SA mentions now they are using Toyota Synthetic 5W30 across all innovas. Any thoughts on Toyota synthetic vs others (Magnatech, Shell Helix) etc
Want to try out a good quality one for engine noise reduction
Update : Ditched toyota oil used at ASC. Wanted to go for fully synthetic from Shell / Castrol, but on a trusted auto parts dealer's insistence, went for Bharat Petroleum MAK CLASSIC PLUS 5W-30 (was a bit hesitant as its from a PSU). And what a great decision has this been ! This is WAY better than any synthetic I have used on my Innova earlier. Engine has become quieter, smoother, improved pickup and in general a much better car to drive.

Highly recommended.
Old 4th January 2023, 21:05   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Heard a Shell outlet telling that 5W40 is discontinued and suggesting 0W40 as a replacement. Is that true? Or they just does not have stock? Is that recommended by the way.
Won't make a material difference - the oil is somewhat lower viscosity so you may find yourself having to change slightly more frequently.

Quote:
Bharat Petroleum MAK CLASSIC PLUS 5W-30 (was a bit hesitant as its from a PSU).
It is an excellent oil and value for money. Servo Futura G+ is also excellent in this range.
Old 11th January 2023, 17:17   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Update : Ditched toyota oil used at ASC. Wanted to go for fully synthetic from Shell / Castrol, but on a trusted auto parts dealer's insistence, went for Bharat Petroleum MAK CLASSIC PLUS 5W-30 (was a bit hesitant as its from a PSU).
But the product description says it's suitable for petrol cars. Could you clarify if you used the same engine oil for your diesel Innova?

All about diesel engine oils-mak.jpg

Quote:
It is an excellent oil and value for money. Servo Futura G+ is also excellent in this range.
My 1.4L diesel Ford Fiesta is at 90k mark and I'm planning to switch to a VFM synthetic for the first time. Kindly recommend a pocket friendly one for me as Ford recommends changing oil for the Fiesta every six months.
Old 11th January 2023, 21:45   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Hm. API SP ILSAC GF-6A, my mistake this is petrol only. They had a similarly named oil I confused this with.

As for the fiesta once a year or 10000 km whichever comes first with a good 5w30 a5b5 or a3b4 such as shell hx8 will be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
But the product description says it's suitable for petrol cars. Could you clarify if you used the same engine oil for your diesel Innova?

My 1.4L diesel Ford Fiesta is at 90k mark and I'm planning to switch to a VFM synthetic for the first time. Kindly recommend a pocket friendly one for me as Ford recommends changing oil for the Fiesta every six months.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 10:06   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
As for the fiesta once a year or 10000 km whichever comes first with a good 5w30 a5b5 or a3b4 such as shell hx8 will be fine
Thanks for the response. It would be great if you could shed some some light on the following queries too:

1. The Fiesta in question is 9 years and 90k kms old and running on mineral oil from day one. Would you recommending flushing the engine oil (with a flush and mineral oil) before going for a synthetic one?

2. Shell HX8 has great reviews. Still, would the Servo Futura G+ suffice for the Fiesta?
Old 12th January 2023, 10:08   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Servo Futura G+ is also a decent oil. Go ahead. No need to flush if you have changed your oil regularly and the engine doesn't have grease etc deposited around it, the dipstick oil doesn't have sludge sticking to it etc.

What mineral oil? If you service the Fiesta at Ford they usually give you Mobil Synthetic or Castrol Semi Synthetic oil.

Quote:
Thanks for the response. It would be great if you could shed some some light on the following queries too:

1. The Fiesta in question is 9 years and 90k kms old and running on mineral oil from day one. Would you recommending flushing the engine oil (with a flush and mineral oil) before going for a synthetic one?

2. Shell HX8 has great reviews. Still, would the Servo Futura G+ suffice for the Fiesta?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 10:16   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
No need to flush if you have changed your oil regularly and the engine doesn't have grease etc deposited around it, the dipstick oil doesn't have sludge sticking to it etc.
Have changed the oil every six months (hardly 5000kms) regularly till date. Have not noticed sludge on dipstick yet. Guess flushing won't be necessary in that case.

Quote:
What mineral oil? If you service the Fiesta at Ford they usually give you Mobil Synthetic or Castrol Semi Synthetic oil.
I've always got it changed from Ford ASS. The fact that they use semi synthetic oil is news to me. My bad that I thought they used mineral oil.

Thanks again for the help
Old 12th January 2023, 17:07   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have changed the oil every six months (hardly 5000kms) regularly till date. Have not noticed sludge on dipstick yet. Guess flushing won't be necessary in that case.
Who said to change every 6 months though? The ford service interval is 1 year and 10k kilometres
Old 12th January 2023, 19:24   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Who said to change every 6 months though? The ford service interval is 1 year and 10k kilometres
All about diesel engine oils-img_20230112_192221.jpg

The manual recommends to replace the oil every six months. I've been following the same since I bought the car. BTW my car is the old Fiesta Classic, not the global Fiesta
Old 12th January 2023, 19:34   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The manual recommends to replace the oil every six months. I've been following the same since I bought the car. BTW my car is the old Fiesta Classic, not the global Fiesta
With a full synthetic one year or 10k oil change interval should be a reasonable proposition

What oil are they filling for you in Ford, can you check that from your service bill?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks