Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2022, 08:14   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post
Sourced Shell Helix HX5 CH4 15w-40 for my Verna CRDI 2014 model. For 5 Ltrs it costed me just Rs1400 although shopkeeper said that this is old print and new one has got costlier to Rs1600, still I find it very cheap.

Seek reviews if it's the right oil as I saw on this post that Hyundai ASC use same oil in drums.
It is fine - decent semi synthetic diesel spec oil. You can even pour regular 5w30 shell hx8 in your Verna it won’t hurt it and might make it run smoother for it being synthetic.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 04:49   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Sourced Shell Helix HX5 CH4 15w-40 for my Verna CRDI 2014 model. For 5 Ltrs it costed me just Rs1400 although shopkeeper said that this is old print and new one has got costlier to Rs1600, still I find it very cheap.

Seek reviews if it's the right oil as I saw on this post that Hyundai ASC use same oil in drums.
API CH-4 diesel engine oil specification was introduced to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards followed/succeeded by CI-4 that is designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards respectively accomodating Euro II fuels with 500 ppm sulphur content.

I'm of the opinion this CH4 oil should be replaced with a CI4 or CI4 plus engine oil (if available), assuming an Euro II diesel fuel is in use.

https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...l-c-categories
Old 16th October 2022, 07:12   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Sourced Shell Helix HX5 CH4 15w-40 for my Verna CRDI 2014 model.
The oil looks fine for use. If you are looking for pure mineral (cost efficient) CH4 oil my personal recommendation is Mobil Delvac Genuine TM oil. It is also CH4 oil but much better than Valvoline CI 4 oil that I used before it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It is fine - decent semi synthetic diesel spec oil.
It is X5 series which is pure mineral. Same is AX5 oil, which is motorcycle specific oil.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:24   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
The last several posts in this thread have quite a few that mention Creta Shell Helix Ultra is a good oil but the wrong oil for your car. Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 or Amsoil Turbo Truck / Max Duty 5w40 are what you need .....
Hello Hserus,

I would like to understand your PoV for tagging Shell Helix as the wrong Oil for Creta?
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:06   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
Hello Hserus,

I would like to understand your PoV for tagging Shell Helix as the wrong Oil for Creta?
At least from the perspective of following the spec mentioned in the manual. I agree that a5b5 5w30 will not hurt any light diesel engine like a Creta.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:24   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
At least from the perspective of following the spec mentioned in the manual. I agree that a5b5 5w30 will not hurt any light diesel engine like a Creta.
In that case, what do you think about Shell Helix HX8 5w-30 FS?
Old 27th October 2022, 18:02   #2452
BHPian

Hello all! I need your help. I have the Liva diesel. Has roughly done approx 43k kms across 8 years. Of late after my last oil change to the Amsoil 5w40 Heavy Duty FS oil the mileage has dropped to a shocking 8 kpl. What could be wrong? Before this one she was on the Motul Diesel engine oil but being unhappy with performance changed it to Amsoil. Should I stick to the 5w30 grade? All oils which I have used have consistently given 14-15 kpl in Mumbai city traffic. But this time the results are shocking me. Will appreciate your inputs. Cheers!
Old 27th October 2022, 21:58   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Hello all! I need your help. I have the Liva diesel. Has roughly done approx 43k kms across 8 years. Of late after my last oil change to the Amsoil 5w40 Heavy Duty FS oil the mileage has dropped to a shocking 8 kpl. What could be wrong? Before this one she was on the Motul Diesel engine oil but being unhappy with performance changed it to Amsoil. Should I stick to the 5w30 grade? All oils which I have used have consistently given 14-15 kpl in Mumbai city traffic. But this time the results are shocking me. Will appreciate your inputs. Cheers!
This much drop in mileage is not due to Engine oil quality change. You can expect a meagre difference of 2% between adjacently placed dynamic viscocities like w40 and w30 etc.
Either you were scammed at the fuel pump or there is some other reason like overfilling of the oil, too less oil or adulterated/snake oil etc.
By the way, how is the performance of the car with this oil?

Also check if you filled petrol in place of diesel. The root cause can be of this proportion!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 27th October 2022 at 22:05.
Old 27th October 2022, 23:02   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
This much drop in mileage is not due to Engine oil quality change. You can expect a meagre difference of 2% between adjacently placed dynamic viscocities like w40 and w30 etc.
Either you were scammed at the fuel pump or there is some other reason like overfilling of the oil, too less oil or adulterated/snake oil etc.
By the way, how is the performance of the car with this oil?

Also check if you filled petrol in place of diesel. The root cause can be of this proportion!
Bhai Saab, I always fill genuine oil purchased from authorised dealers. I've long term relations with these folks. And had I filled petrol instead of diesel, won't the car not start in the first place?!

It's a typical Amsoil. Smooth and awesome. Don't think it's the right fit for the Liva though.
Old 28th October 2022, 07:12   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Bhai Saab, I always fill genuine oil purchased from authorised dealers. I've long term relations with these folks. And had I filled petrol instead of diesel, won't the car not start in the first place?!

It's a typical Amsoil. Smooth and awesome. Don't think it's the right fit for the Liva though.
Good to know that you are sure about the quality of the oil. A dilution with other fuel is one of the possibility i can think of.
A 50 percent fall is not from oil.
Bhaisahab, your car didn't become a Ferrari after putting Amsoil
Old 28th October 2022, 17:20   #2456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Try Shell Rimula R4. It is an API - CI+ oil. Costs around 1900 rupees. I cannot comment on the improvement over HX5 since I have not used the HX5. However, in comparison with Mobil Delvac MX which is also an API-CH4 mineral oil, I find the Rimula R4 better. The oil container states it is a heavy-duty diesel engine oil meant for trucks and big diesels which apparently means it has better dispersants and detergents for the large amount of soot produced by the big diesels. It does its job very well on the puny 1.4 CRDI as well

Have been using the Rimula R4 on 2010 i20 which also needs an API CH4 oil, for the past 20,000 kms

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 28th October 2022 at 17:22.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 07:43   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that you are sure about the quality of the oil. A dilution with other fuel is one of the possibility i can think of.
A 50 percent fall is not from oil.
Bhaisahab, your car didn't become a Ferrari after putting Amsoil
I would just check injectors etc. Amsoil has enough detergent and other additives in it that it might have cleaned all the debris but ended up clogging your fuel system with some of it.

Try pouring something like stp diesel fuel cleaner and take it on a nice long and fast highway drive, see if that improves things. Else get the car scanned and professionally clean the injectors etc as needed.
Old 29th October 2022, 09:31   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
I would just check injectors etc. Amsoil has enough detergent and other additives in it that it might have cleaned all the debris but ended up clogging your fuel system with some of it.

Try pouring something like stp diesel fuel cleaner and take it on a nice long and fast highway drive, see if that improves things. Else get the car scanned and professionally clean the injectors etc as needed.
I doubt that change in engine oil can clog the injectors. It may remove debris along the piston to make the car lose compression, but as the car is performing well, i doubt that as well.

I will just relax and enjoy the vehicle without thinking about mileage. As engine oil change does not impact mileage to an extent that it can be calculated without error.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 09:36   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt that change in engine oil can clog the injectors. It may remove debris along the piston to make the car lose compression, but as the car is performing well, i doubt that as well.

I will just relax and enjoy the vehicle without thinking about mileage. As engine oil change does not impact mileage to an extent that it can be calculated without error.
So - physically check the car for any oil leaks. And then check compression and get the vehicle scanned. See what crops up.
Old 29th October 2022, 10:41   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So - physically check the car for any oil leaks. And then check compression and get the vehicle scanned. See what crops up.
mods please merge posted after half an hour

Get the inter cooler out of the car and see if cleaning it (immerse in diesel / spray wd40 if necessary) makes a difference. Over filled oil might clog it causing just this symptom as well as oil loss

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks