Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 06:48   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Would the mineral oil put in by the ASC last for 10k?
Synthetic and premium synthetic are the words you’re looking for I think.

Both will last you though you may want to change by say 8-9k km for the cheaper oil.
Old 10th August 2021, 14:56   #2207
BHPian

What would be the best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for 2016 Innova Crysta (2.4 MT-Z)with 56k on the odo.

Based on the recommendation here, I had used shell helix ultra 5w40, and I was pretty much happy with it. Now, the car is due for next yearly service, so wanted a view whether to continue with same grade of oil or switch to something else. Any suggestions please?

Thank you!
Old 10th August 2021, 15:53   #2208
Senior - BHPian

That is still a good oil though the actual spec required is 5w30 in which case Shell HX8 should fit your spec. Go ahead with Ultra 5w40 as it has worked well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
What would be the best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for 2016 Innova Crysta (2.4 MT-Z)with 56k on the odo.

Based on the recommendation here, I had used shell helix ultra 5w40, and I was pretty much happy with it. Now, the car is due for next yearly service, so wanted a view whether to continue with same grade of oil or switch to something else. Any suggestions please?

Thank you!
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 16:10   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That is still a good oil though the actual spec required is 5w30 in which case Shell HX8 should fit your spec. Go ahead with Ultra 5w40 as it has worked well for you.
Thanks Suresh for your prompt reply and guidance, as always.

For some reason my mechanic is trying to push for Castrol 5w30 which I am skeptical about but Is it better than Shell?

Castrol Magnetic(?) is about 700 rupees costlier than shell of the same quantity.

Would you also suggest for oil filter and air filter too? How long after AC filter must be changed. Apologies to bombard you with questions. Thanks!
Old 10th August 2021, 16:21   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suresh for your prompt reply and guidance, as always.

For some reason my mechanic is trying to push for Castrol 5w30 which I am skeptical about but Is it better than Shell?

Castrol Magnetic(?) is about 700 rupees costlier than shell of the same quantity.

Would you also suggest for oil filter and air filter too? How long after AC filter must be changed. Apologies to bombard you with questions. Thanks!
Magnatec is also an excellent oil, and at 5w30 it fits your Innova's spec. If you get Shell Helix Ultra at cheaper then that's fine too.

Change air / ac filters whenever you change oil even if the recommendation is to clean them and reinstall them for a longer change interval. You have to change your oil filter anyway when you change oil. Check when your fuel filter was last changed, you need to change that every 30k km / 3 annual services or so.

Your car's manual will have what maintenance needs to be done at each service, do whatever is specified.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 00:23   #2211
BHPian

My Swift Dzire Diesel 2015 70K service is due. Last service was done by an ASS. I was not in India and the car was taken to service center by Dad. He obviously did not instruct anything. On checking the bill I found the price was ~900 hence predicting that it was one of the semi-synthetic one.

Prior all services the I was filling fully synthetic Shell Helix.

Now my dilemma is that shall I change the oil to fully synthetic again or shall I continue with the cheaper semi-synthetic one ? If synthetic one which one shall I opt ?

Also is there any need for using any engine flush ?
Old 11th August 2021, 03:29   #2212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why do you get your car serviced outside at first place? I don't think anyone can beat Toyota dealers when it comes to the costs, original and correct parts as well overall care they take of your car.

I tried Amsoil & some other premium brands but have now made peace with Toyota OEM as they change the oil in 6 months on my LC and mine hardly does 1000-2000 km in this period. If your usage is also less, can even stick with OEM oil.

But whatever you do, best will be to get it serviced at dealership. Will also help on resales as complete record is available. Sometimes, dealerships allow outside oil, they may mention the same on records though.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 07:45   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I tried Amsoil & some other premium brands but have now made peace with Toyota OEM as they change the oil in 6 months on my LC and mine hardly does 1000-2000 km in this period. If your usage is also less, can even stick with OEM oil.
Toyota engines tend to sound like a tractor, rough and unrefined, with the OEM oil, though they run smoothly and perform well. Substantial NVH reduction when you use a good 5w30 from a premium brand. (How did you find NVH reduction using Amsoil 5w30?)
Old 11th August 2021, 08:13   #2214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Toyota engines tend to sound like a tractor, rough and unrefined, with the OEM oil, though they run smoothly and perform well.
I will say, after an oil change as well car wash, you feel different. I haven’t taken Db ratings after Amsoil or Toyota OE so everything will be placebo. Besides the 8 cylinder engine is super silent.

Am not suggesting that there won’t be difference but if somebody’s usage is low like mine, it doesn’t make sense to get into additional hassles. In past, I tried different premium brands due to Black smoke that used to come from LC in hard acceleration. Topic for another thread but that has vanished after we have started getting Euro 6 Diesel.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 08:45   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you get your car serviced outside at first place? I don't think anyone can beat Toyota dealers when it comes to the costs, original and correct parts as well overall care they take of your car.
My experience with Pioneer Toyota is not that great from the very start. Back then I had moved from Petrol to Diesel engine. I was a total noob and when it came to taking care of Diesel engines and obviously Team-Bhp was the only golden source of information.

Over the warranty peroid of Innova, I realized that the dealership has fleeced me in many ways (took reference from official thread, ownership thread) like, when I was a victim of adulterated diesel they had made it mandatory to put fuel injectors to clean the headers (apology for the same I have it in written), not able to troubleshoot as to why certain lights on my dashboard flash up for no reason (outside mech was able to diagnose this as well), half heartily taking care of the things I had specifically as them to take care of and so on.

So it’s been 2.5 years, I go to my trusted mechanic who does more than what I ask of him at a fraction of the cost. Although I do miss the convenience of the showroom but I have had it with the dealership.
Old 11th August 2021, 09:07   #2216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Over the warranty peroid of Innova, I realized that the dealership has fleeced me in many ways. I was a victim of adulterated diesel they had made it mandatory to put fuel injectors to clean the headers
Usually they go by the book. This is not the right thread but you should post details in the Innovo thread.

Quote:
I go to my trusted mechanic who does more than what I ask of him at a fraction of the cost.
If you don’t allow unnecessary jobs that SA usually try to pitch, basic services and repairs will cost you same or even cheaper.

If you have a mechanic in chandigarh who assures you 100% genuine parts in open market, then you are completely wrong. Most things are spurious, Air filters, A/C filters, brake pads and what not. Did you went to Panchkula branch or Industrial Area -1. Of former, suggest go to later next time.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:22   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will say, after an oil change as well car wash, you feel different. I haven’t taken Db ratings after Amsoil or Toyota OE so everything will be placebo. Besides the 8 cylinder engine is super silent.

Am not suggesting that there won’t be difference.
Not right after an oil change but some 7-8k km after it, being almost all highway drive kilometers.

Damping in the LC is excellent to be sure.
Old 11th August 2021, 09:28   #2218
BHPian

On my fluidic verna which needs a 15w40 ch4 mineral have been using the delvac 1 5w40 synthetic for the past 4 yrs.

However it is now out of stock everywhere and I cannot delay the service anymore.

The only option which meets the ch4 spec is the amsoil turbotruck but it comes in a 3.7l can which means if I buy 2 will have more than 2l left over. I already have a 1 lt can of the delvac left too so don't want to keep stocking up.

Are there any other options? I see that the next Gen verna had a recommended spec of 5w30 a3/b4 and I find more options for that spec like Shell hx8 which are cheaper too. Would it be fine to use that in the older Verna although it is a cf4 oil? I dont think there is any difference in the engines.
Old 11th August 2021, 09:44   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
On my fluidic verna which needs a 15w40 ch4 mineral have been using the delvac 1 5w40 synthetic for the past 4 yrs.

However it is now out of stock everywhere and I cannot delay the service anymore.

The only option which meets the ch4 spec is the amsoil turbotruck.
Amsoil is ck4 the latest spec backward compatible with ch4. A lot of oils in the market are ci4 or ci4+

You see those mineral oils sold in 7.5 liter drums? Shell Rimula R4, Castrol GTX etc. Those all fit the spec that you need.

Or this Mobil comes in plastic cans.

Mobil Super 1000 Diesel 15W-40 API CH-4 Multigrade Engine Oil (5L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KMKPVF9/...JM4PR0Z1DPRR2R
Old 11th August 2021, 09:59   #2220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post

The only option which meets the ch4 spec is the amsoil turbotruck but it comes in a 3.7l can which means if I buy 2 will have more than 2l left over. I already have a 1 lt can of the delvac left too so don't want to keep stocking up.

Are there any other options? I see that the next Gen verna had a recommended spec of 5w30 a3/b4 and I find more options for that spec like Shell hx8 which are cheaper too. Would it be fine to use that in the older Verna although it is a cf4 oil? I dont think there is any difference in the engines.
I switched over to Shell Rimula R4 from Delvac 1 on my 2010 i20 CRDi which needs a API CH4 and above oil. Although a mineral oil, I find it to be pretty good. My running reduced from 15K a year to less than 7K a year. So it did not make financial sense to put in almost 4K rupees worth of Delvac 1. With 15K change interval on the delvac 1 it was a paisa vasool oil.

I find Rimula R4 to be 70% of Delvac 1 in terms of smoothness of the engine and other characteristics.

Although, Verna/i20 manual specifies 5.3L of oil, I find that 5L is enough to come up to the F mark on the dipstick. So 5L can of Rimula R4 is sufficient

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks