Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2019, 10:46   #1891
BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Snake oil of dubious effectiveness in general. Most if not all manufacturers and even oil vendors will recommend you don't use them. Especially the friction modifier types like Ceratec etc.
Mmhmm. But having used STP, I actually trust the Amsoil stuff more now. Esp the Cetane Boost. Worth it.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:49   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Mmhmm. But having used STP, I actually trust the Amsoil stuff more now. Esp the Cetane Boost. Worth it.
This article might help, about cetane or octane boosters.

https://www.bellperformance.com/bell...-busting-myths
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 10:56   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
This article might help, about cetane or octane boosters.

https://www.bellperformance.com/bell...-busting-myths
I've read this earlier. Thanks again nonetheless.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:34   #1894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Sorry, not trying to sound rhetoric, but our XUV 2018 is fast approaching 10k odo mark. Our last 5k service got us Mahindra Maximile , but at 10k we feel it's time for some serious lubrication.

The feelers from this thread is that we are favoring Mobil1 Delvac, but i am not sure if it's Synth or extra drain period Mineral.

Kindly need help in this grey area.
While Mahindra service center will happily fill whatever oil you give them, none of their mechanics recommend spending extra on engine oil.

What we usually refer to as synthetic oils are semi synthetic - the rest is marketing. The base is still dinosaur oil.

Within the same nominal grade , these oils can be designed for more protection against wear of certain components, help the engine meet emissions regulations or remain functional for longer drain intervals and so on.

If they meet the grade , they will do the job. Just which job it does better than the other? Only the ones who have tested it will know.

If the XUV is not exited to come out for a drive with you after just 5K of oil change, please have it inspected. That oil is designed to last 20K under normal driving conditions.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 10:45   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If the XUV is not exited to come out for a drive with you after just 5K of oil change, please have it inspected. That oil is designed to last 20K under normal driving conditions.
The standard Mahindra oil change interval at least for Scorpio and XUV is a change at the first 5000 km mark, then at the 20K km mark, followed by every 20K then onwards. Many Mahindra SAs will recommend you change at the 10K mark itself if your car has extensive short haul city use.
Old 15th April 2019, 18:45   #1896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The standard Mahindra oil change interval at least for Scorpio and XUV is a change at the first 5000 km mark, then at the 20K km mark, followed by every 20K then onwards. Many Mahindra SAs will recommend you change at the 10K mark itself if your car has extensive short haul city use.
Yes that is correct, the SAs do recommend changing oil at 10K or once in 12 months. Which means a vehicle that runs around 1000kms a month needs oil change only once in a year.

My point being that the chances of this oil needing to be replaced at 5K is very slim.
Old 15th April 2019, 18:49   #1897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is correct, the SAs do recommend changing oil at 10K or once in 12 months. Which means a vehicle that runs around 1000kms a month needs oil change only once in a year.

My point being that the chances of this oil needing to be replaced at 5K is very slim.
The first 5k during the engine run in period - my guess is the engine internals will flake off little bits of steel, any interior coating applied during manufacture etc and all that will dissolve in the engine oil, which is then discarded.
Old 15th April 2019, 19:18   #1898
BHPian

So I am having trouble deciding on the oil change interval for my pre-worshipped Jetta 2.0 TDI.

The previous owner clocked 98000 km in just under - 5 years and maintained a 12,000 km oil change interval. All services done meticulously on schedule and at the showroom.

Since purchase, I have clocked about 5,000 km in 9 months and do not expect my usage to cross 10,000 km a year. The usage is mainly 50% city and traffic.

The Jetta has a Stage 1 Remap and the previous owner, would change the air filter every 6,000 km. I intend to retain the car for 5 more years and will continue to do all service and maintenance work at the showroom. At 1,04,000 km the car feels super smooth and I would like to keep it in the pink of health, even if there is some extra expense.

The car runs on regular IOC diesel and I have not added any additives.
In the coming months, I will switch to Shell and use regular and power fuels every alternate tank.

Need some advice for the points below.

Since there is reduction in usage from approx 18,000 - 20,000 km a year to 6,000 - 10,000 km annually, should I reduce the oil change interval ?

Keeping in mind the age of the car, I wanted to reduce the service interval to 1 year 10,000 km, instead of the 15,000 km recommended by VW and 12,000 km maintained by previous owner.

Should I just change the engine oil once a year, in this case?
I will give the car for service every 10,000 km and do a paid inspection service every 6 months.

Else, I can maintain a km based approach, where i change the oil every 6,000 or 7,500 km and service it at 12,000 km or 15,000 km mark.

Since the usage has come down now, car is used only a couple of days every week and on the weekend and long drives under 1,000 km per trip and 3 day duration over the course of very year (3-4 such trips every year).

I believe this is harsher operating conditions, than earlier, when the car saw extensive highway usage.

My brother who drives a Golf R abroad, maintains a 7,500 km oil change interval and says he observes a decrease in engine oil temperature of approx 10 degrees, after an oil change.
Old 15th April 2019, 20:03   #1899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post

My brother who drives a Golf R abroad, maintains a 7,500 km oil change interval and says he observes a decrease in engine oil temperature of approx 10 degrees, after an oil change.
I will suggest you to change the oil at 10,000 km or 1 year, whichever is earlier.

You can checkout this used oil analysis report done by SS- Traveller -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4056709 (Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), used oil analysis & an interview)

This can give you a decent idea on the life span of a regular engine oil.

Changing an engine oil earlier will do no harm to the engine, in-fact it will be good, but driving with a bad engine oil can be harmful to your car's engine.

Last edited by Samba : 15th April 2019 at 20:10.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 07:53   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Especially with a remapped car 1 year / a bit less than 10k is appropriate. Does your car run rich and emit black smoke etc?
Old 16th April 2019, 14:55   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
What we usually refer to as synthetic oils are semi synthetic - the rest is marketing. The base is still dinosaur oil.
Thanks Kosfactor. I agree, but Shell Helix claims to be 100% synthetic due to LNG processing and I have been using it for all my engines (only petrol) and currently XUV 500 2018 put us into Diesel family.

Given the steep cost factor and unwillingness to mess around with a pretty costly piece of equipment, I wanted to go the Synthetic way after 10K mark.

Quote:
You could use any CI4+ or higher rated mineral diesel engine oil and that would work just fine, there's a wide range available in the market.
Thanks hserus. Mahindra poured in Maximile and told us to come back after 15K mark for next change. I did ask them if it was synthetic, for which they said it is and has long drain period with high detergent concentration formulated for its line of oil burners. Saw few customers insisting on Total and few haggling for Mobil1 (especially a 200K crossed, out of station XUV 500 First Generation). I think they ended up giving him mineral and did not pour in Maximile. But Maximile FEO is fraction of the cost of its other Sythentic sibilings and it did not carry CI and CK certification anywhere.

Last edited by prithm : 16th April 2019 at 14:57.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 15:02   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Maximile FEO is fraction of the cost of its other Sythentic sibilings and it did not carry CI and CK certification anywhere.
As you can see from my post with a screenshot of a UK XUV manual a few posts back, Maximile Feo is most likely ACEA C3 + higher detergent additives, or ACEA C5, given that this is what Mahindra recommends as an alternative in Europe for the XUV. No confirmation from Mahindra as they don't seem to print any such details on their packaging for Feo, or make available datasheets for it showing rating, TBN, pour point and other values.

It is surely not API C* rated (a pure diesel oil) as the same oil is also used for their petrol vehicles as well.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

Quote:
ACEA C3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPa*s.

ACEA C5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, for further improved Fuel Economy, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable and OEM-approved for use of Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:40   #1903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kosfactor. I agree, but Shell Helix claims to be 100% synthetic due to LNG processing
Possible, however what their website says is quite the contrary.

If you type in XUV5OO in their LubeMatch portal, it gives you 'Premium' Shell Helix Diesel HX5 15W-40. Dig more into the Data sheet and it says highly refined mineral oil with additives a.k.a Semi Synthetic.

Shell helix Diesel is also CH4 SAE 15W40 as per shell.

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-...-4-15w-40.html

Quote:
As you can see from my post with a screenshot of a UK XUV manual a few posts back, Maximile Feo is most likely ACEA C3 + higher detergent additives, or ACEA C5, given that this is what Mahindra recommends as an alternative in Europe for the XUV. No confirmation from Mahindra as they don't seem to print any such details on their packaging for Feo, or make available datasheets for it showing rating, TBN, pour point and other values.
The XUV as well as Scorpio user manual calls for minimum API CH4 SAE 15W-40 and a drain interval of 10K kms if you do not use Maximile.

So Maximile has something more which enables it to attain higher drain intervals.

API CH4 category is still current as per API , probably useful in India due to the sulphur content in diesel.

https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...l-c-categories
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 11:44   #1904
Senior - BHPian

The Mahindra UK manual suggests 5w30 ACEA C3. It is much more likely because Mahindra is pouring the same Maximile Feo for petrol as well as diesel vehicles. Yes I know what the India recommendation says.

CI4+ all the way to API CK are backwards compatible with CH4+

What Mahindra would be adding would be an extra load of detergents and additives to clean out soot and ensure a longer drain interval.

Quote:
Possible, however what their website says is quite the contrary.

If you type in XUV5OO in their LubeMatch portal, it gives you 'Premium' Shell Helix Diesel HX5 15W-40. Dig more into the Data sheet and it says highly refined mineral oil with additives a.k.a Semi Synthetic.

Shell helix Diesel is also CH4 SAE 15W40 as per shell.

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-...-4-15w-40.html

The XUV as well as Scorpio user manual calls for minimum API CH4 SAE 15W-40 and a drain interval of 10K kms if you do not use Maximile.

So Maximile has something more which enables it to attain higher drain intervals.

API CH4 category is still current as per API , probably useful in India due to the sulphur content in diesel.

https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...l-c-categories
Old 28th April 2019, 11:21   #1905
BHPian

I have a query about using Repsol engine oil for the 1.3L Quadrajet engine of my Manza. I have been using the company specified Selenia (and later Petronas) 5W40. I have recently used the Repsol 5W40 on my Zen and the results have been very encouraging so far.
All about diesel engine oils-img_20190425_091352243.jpg

All about diesel engine oils-img_20190425_091425972.jpg

Would this also be an appropriate engine oil to be used in the 1.3L 90PS Quadrajet engine in the Manza. If not, then which is a good synthetic engine oil for the 1.3 L Quadrajet in Manza? The car is at 1,10,000 km.

Cheers !

Most Viewed