Old 13th February 2019, 13:56   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
All Hyundai diesels need xxW40 grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A correction - newer Hyundai Diesels seem to like ACEA A3/ B4 and 5W30, from the new gen Verna and 2018 Creta/ i20 as against API CH4 and 15W40 for pre-2018 Diesels...
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 15:25   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
A correction - newer Hyundai Diesels seem to like ACEA A3/ B4 and 5W30, from the new gen Verna and 2018 Creta/ i20 as against API CH4 and 15W40 for pre-2018 Diesels...
Unless they substantially changed the engine in these new gen cars, the change is only for emissions and fuel economy. You should be able to go to a 5w40 synthetic diesel oil such as Amsoil or Mobil Delvac 1 without issues given Hyundai's earlier recommendation.
Old 13th February 2019, 17:26   #1848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unless they substantially changed the engine in these new gen cars, the change is only for emissions and fuel economy. You should be able to go to a 5w40 synthetic diesel oil such as Amsoil or Mobil Delvac 1 without issues given Hyundai's earlier recommendation.
One thing i have observed is that Hyundai changed the oil drain interval from 5K/6 months to 10k/1Yr around 2014 . Now i understand this was done to keep up with the market changes since all major manufacturers have this 1Yr/10-15K change interval. But , was any change or update done to the engine to accommodate the longer drain interval is an unknown.

I have stuck to 1 Yr/10-15K kms drain interval with Delvac 1 in my i20 diesel even though the manual recommends 6 months/5k kms interval. I ensure i change the oil filter at around 7.5k km mark after the oil change. Good thing is , for the Hyundai diesels, the oil filter is screwed to the top of the engine and hence can be replaced without draining the engine oil.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 18:02   #1849
Senior - BHPian

A change from mineral to semi or full synthetic would explain this oil change interval. Current heavy duty diesel oils have much longer drain intervals so changing your oil filter helps you stretch to a longer oil change interval even if you're using mineral oil in city conditions - which is where it makes sense to change mineral at 5k. It lasts much longer if predominantly highway use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
One thing i have observed is that Hyundai changed the oil drain interval from 5K/6 months to 10k/1Yr around 2014 . Now i understand this was done to keep up with the market changes since all major manufacturers have this 1Yr/10-15K change interval. But , was any change or update done to the engine to accommodate the longer drain interval is an unknown.

I have stuck to 1 Yr/10-15K kms drain interval with Delvac 1 in my i20 diesel even though the manual recommends 6 months/5k kms interval. I ensure i change the oil filter at around 7.5k km mark after the oil change. Good thing is , for the Hyundai diesels, the oil filter is screwed to the top of the engine and hence can be replaced without draining the engine oil.
Old 15th February 2019, 21:39   #1850
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Would you mind sharing the reason as to why you went from the Ford's specified grade which is 5w30 to 5w40?

In my opinion it would be best to only stick to what is specified in the manual, come what may.

The oil quoted by Hserus in my opinion too is the right oil to be using. (Mobil Super 3000 x1)
My oil experiment started when I went to the Ford ASS for my 50,000 km service and asked them to do a "happy pocket service(HPS)". I decided to do this after comparing the HPS with the regular 50,000 km service as listed in the Ford Service price promise website and found them to be the same. The HPS missed the water wash and included everything else while costing half as much as the regular service.

The service staff were first mumbling about being unable to find the package in the website then they said i might lose warranty( My 2 year warranty had expired by then) and finally were telling me I might lose "goodwill" in case of some trouble. I was firm with the HPS and made a mistake of leaving my car and waiting in the lounge till they finished the service. I was reassured subtly by a big barrel of the Mobil 3000 super FE in sight behind their billing counter. The bill was Rs 2,400/- (approx) for some labor or repair works with no mention of HPS, I didn't apply my mind there since the previous dealings with the ASS had been pleasant and prompt till that point. I took their word that they were unable to mention HPS in the bill due to some issues in their billing system.

I came back home(5kms) and checked the oil level on a hunch and found it to be much higher. I used a tube and sucked out a liter of black oil in to a bottle and continued thinking that its common in diesel engines for the oil to get blacked out in a few kms.

When my odo was crossing 55,000 km I got a call from them that I haven't done my 50,000 km service yet and that I must do it immediately. I asked about the oil change in the HPS and they casually replied that they had done top-up only and that I must come back for the service.The engine noise was also harsh after my drives(600 km+600 km trip once every month at that point of time).

My heart sank and I immediately opted for Mobil 1 5w30 for the oil change at an FNG for I couldn't bring myself to even step in to the ASS again.

After having had Mobil 1(Rs 2400 for 4 liters) for 10,000 km I felt that the oil had lost all the viscosity and was drastically different right from 7,000 km after the oil change. I was reading on the Delvac and decided to try that this time. There was a flash offer where it was available for Rs 3000 for 5 Liters.

With Delvac, not only am I feeling the engine is smoother but also that the FE is distinctly higher. Because If I maintain 100kmph with the Mobil 1 on my 700 kmph trips I would have almost drained the tank completely. With Delvac, I was surprised to find the fuel gauge much higher than the previous instances. Of course, I must check the tank-to-tank reading when I am starting on the trip again and then decide on whether the FE had really increased or not.

I might opt for Shell helix ultra 5w30 hx8 or Mobil 3000 FE for the next change and keep the oil change interval shorter.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 15th February 2019 at 21:40.
Old 15th February 2019, 22:43   #1851
Senior - BHPian

I hope you gave the dealer negative feedback after your happy pocket service. That generally causes them to come running with apologies.
Old 16th February 2019, 08:49   #1852
BANNED

Quote:
I hope you gave the dealer negative feedback after your happy pocket service. That generally causes them to come running with apologies.
This call from ASS stating that they have left the oil unchanged came after the service feedback call. I had driven 5000 km after that botch up by then. After having been very particular about every single service for the past 50,000 kms and babying the engine at sub 90 kmph speeds, this came as a rude shock.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 16th February 2019 at 08:51.
Old 16th February 2019, 09:42   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
This call from ASS stating that they have left the oil unchanged came after the service feedback call. I had driven 5000 km after that botch up by then. After having been very particular about every single service for the past 50,000 kms and babying the engine at sub 90 kmph speeds, this came as a rude shock.
What feedback did you leave the dealer? If you want to light a fire under them just email Ford customer service with this story.
Old 16th February 2019, 09:56   #1854
BANNED

Quote:
What feedback did you leave the dealer? If you want to light a fire under them just email Ford customer service with this story.
I gave a positive feedback because I assumed that they had done the oil change. I came to know that they hadn't changed my oil a few months after the feedback call. My driving pattern,off late, has been to go on a 700 km+700 km trip once in a month and to leave the car covered by the road side the rest of the time.

I didn't shoot the mail because I have decided to experiment with the engine oil . I was at another state when they called me about this botch up and I didn't want to burn bridges at the FASS because I might have to go to them for something which the FNG can't handle(God Forbid).

I feel that if I shoot a mail and bring them trouble then they might not give me proper service when the situation is outside the ambit of the customer care.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 16th February 2019 at 10:02.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 10:06   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Thanks - which dealer was this so I can avoid it on my frequent south trips to Tirunelveli district? Akshaya Ford in Thanakulam?

As an edit I bought some Idemitsu 5w30 A5/B5 at like 2600 odd for a 4 liter can. Didn't buy Amsoil as this Fiesta now sees mostly city use for my wife, with a driver :(

This is the default engine oil brand for Honda and Toyota so should be decent.

Last edited by hserus : 16th February 2019 at 10:11.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 14:12   #1856
BHPian

Hi guys,

So I’ve been using Mobil Delvac1 on my Liva for the past year. It’s been a great oil as previously I was sticking to the OEM Toyota oil. The D4D definitely felt a lot free and it is time for change now. Thought I’d do my research and thanks to good friend Sumit, came upon Amsoil. I didn’t know they were the very first or should I say the pioneers of synthetic oil. Looked them up and saw their oils being over specced. Which is a good thing. Otherwise all other listicles on the web and YouTube enlisted the usual suspects...Valvoline, Pennzoil, Shell, Mobil1 etc etc. Surprisingly Amsoil isn’t listed that often, but sometimes does make it to the top 10. Want to understand why. Anyways I’ll divide my concerns in two.

In my Liva, even after putting the Delvac in city conditions, the mileage has pretty much remained the same. In my brothers Honda City we put the silver Mobil1 can and same thing. The ivtec is a strange creature. It used to give a healthy 11 to 12 kpl earlier when it was on the OEM Honda oil. Funny enough post putting Mobil, mileage has dropped to single digits. I put the recommended grade so that’s fine. I know mileage depends on very many things.

I am getting Amsoil for the same price as the other top tier oils. It comes upon as the best oil out there. Over specs, long drain intervals is all fine but want to know from you all about the same. Please share some knowledge and light. I’m definitely not going back to Idemitsu. Done with it.
Old 1st March 2019, 15:53   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
It’s been a great oil as previously I was sticking to the OEM Toyota oil. The D4D definitely felt a lot free and it is time for change now.
You are putting a heavy duty diesel specific engine oil in a tiny engine that by default a light duty diesel + petrol oil that is specifically formulated for fuel economy. So while you will get engine smoothness your fuel economy will go for a toss in such engines is expected.

What it looks like is a 5w30 a5/b5 will suit your needs better. Idemitsu has one such available at oil stores and on Amazon that's a bit more updated than the tgmo formulation they also manufacture. I filled it in my 1.5 diesel Fiesta and the performance seems acceptable. Or Amsoil has a 5w30 signature series but it is expensive. Try Mobil super 3000 x1, Castrol Magnatec stop / start as well.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 17:48   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
You are putting a heavy duty diesel specific engine oil in a tiny engine that by default a light duty diesel + petrol oil that is specifically formulated for fuel economy. So while you will get engine smoothness your fuel economy will go for a toss in such engines is expected.

What it looks like is a 5w30 a5/b5 will suit your needs better. Idemitsu has one such available at oil stores and on Amazon that's a bit more updated than the tgmo formulation they also manufacture. I filled it in my 1.5 diesel Fiesta and the performance seems acceptable. Or Amsoil has a 5w30 signature series but it is expensive. Try Mobil super 3000 x1, Castrol Magnatec stop / start as well.
Thank you good sir! But well I did my research and only then filled in the Delvac. I have tried Mobil Super 3000 earlier in my older car. Found it alright.

You mean this one: https://www.amazon.in/IDEMITSU-SN-A5.../dp/B07HK6KYRV

Amsoil has a variant lower than the signature, which comes for 500-600 bucks more than the Idemitsu. What does the A5/B5 stand for?
Old 1st March 2019, 19:27   #1859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Thank you good sir! But well I did my research and only then filled in the Delvac. I have tried Mobil Super 3000 earlier in my older car. Found it alright.

You mean this one: https://www.amazon.in/IDEMITSU-SN-A5.../dp/B07HK6KYRV

Amsoil has a variant lower than the signature, which comes for 500-600 bucks more than the Idemitsu. What does the A5/B5 stand for?
Google for acea oil specifications. It is like the US API standards but from Europe so many European and Japanese cars follow it.

The 5w30 signature series of Amsoil is what I could find online, 998 rupees for a quart (948 ml). The Idemitsu shows a 3.5 liter can but I was able to find 4 liter cans at my local oil shop in Chennai. Amsoil only comes in gallon (3.78 litres). Depending on your oil fill size you may have to buy an extra bottle of any 3.5 liter oil and keep the rest for your next oil change.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 19:58   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Google for acea oil specifications. It is like the US API standards but from Europe so many European and Japanese cars follow it.

The 5w30 signature series of Amsoil is what I could find online, 998 rupees for a quart (948 ml). The Idemitsu shows a 3.5 liter can but I was able to find 4 liter cans at my local oil shop in Chennai. Amsoil only comes in gallon (3.78 litres). Depending on your oil fill size you may have to buy an extra bottle of any 3.5 liter oil and keep the rest for your next oil change.
Thank you for this. Shall have a look.

Most Viewed