Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 17:39   #31
BHPian

What is the average life of a Sierra Engine assuming it is well maintained?
Old 16th September 2010, 22:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground1419 View Post
I owned a Sierra in past and mileage without overhaul was 3,00,000kms.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I owned a Sierra in past and mileage without overhaul was 3,00,000kms.
thats good to hear.. i have my eye on a 2001 sierra turbo 84k kms.. excellent condition which had the following jobs done @65k kms - suspension, clutch, tyres, repainted.

I test drove the vehicle and it did feel like it was in good condition.

The power window was getting stuck but everything else was sorted..

any other problems I should be looking out for?

although this has been mentioned a million times in other threads - i still haven't seen a solution for this - Why does the power window get stuck?

appreciate early replies, cos I want finalize the deal and not miss out on this one.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One of the most common mods on Sierras was a better blower: Yup, the aircon really isn't a problem, its the weak blower. Get a superking. You'll be left "chilled".
Where can I get a Superking blower for the Turbo Sierra.. any website? I'm unable to find anything related to a blower
Old 17th September 2010, 18:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

@underking:

Power windows often get stucked due to faulty "ROTOR' there is nothing serious in it. It might cost some 700 Rs per rotor. Else you should look if the electricals of the car are fine and the AC and other buttons are working fine. Also do make sure that the headlights are in good shape. For the AC blower just install a high Amperage relay and the blower will blast the air out of it like a hurrican.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:53   #36
BHPian

@mercedised

Can you please elaborate ~ I'm not technically sound when it comes to automobile electricals.
When you say install a high amp relay, any particular make or rating I should be telling my car mechanic? Increasing the amperage of the relay will not reduce / harm the air con right?

Most of the car is in good shape, I just want it to be in top condition once I buy it so just working out the costs involved.
Old 17th September 2010, 20:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^^ By electricals I meant that check all the wiring, if it is new or old, as you are probably purchasing a decade old car, it's wiring should have gotten weak, as was the case with my car. You will have to change wires to new i.e. whole wiring harness to new for effective working of electricals.

Opting for a higher amperage relay say 40Amp will not cause any harm to the blower motor, only increase the speed and reduce cost.

P.S: Which model is the car?
Old 17th September 2010, 21:30   #38
BHPian

the car is a 2001 model turbo. btw, can you shed some light on the ICE installation brackets. I found 2 holes on either side of the dash where the speakers used to exist

also, do the rear tyres wear heavily?

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2010 at 16:40. Reason: Back to back posts in less than 20 minutes.
Old 18th September 2010, 16:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the car is a 2001 model turbo. btw, can you shed some light on the ICE installation brackets. I found 2 holes on either side of the dash where the speakers used to exist
I could'nt remind this ICE brackets or the position of front speakers. BTW, what is the problem?

Quote:
also, do the rear tyres wear heavily?
Only in the case if the suspension bushes(correct name?) are wore out. But, anyway this will happen in every car. Nothing special.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:27   #40
BHPian

well i saw 2 large holes cut in the dash board or the left and right side.. from the looks of it there were speakers installed here.. wonder why they were taken out thought; the owner is willing the dispose off his car with a basic JBL ICE setup.

Personally I'd be willing to shave off the cost of the stereo as I'd like to have my own ICE. So im just wondering if this is the normal position for the front speakers, else I will have to factor in a damaged dashboard into the cost.

btw.. the car sports 16" mags.. the rubber is 235/75R16 or 70R16 i dont remember rightly. Would this cause any damage to the suspension? My TD of the car was mainly in city traffic, it sure wasn't rubbing on the body though, seemed to have more than enough clearance.

I know these double posts are a pain to follow.. but it sucks when I cannot edit my own posts. Every post needs a mod approval; :S

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2010 at 18:48. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Upsizing always causes pronounced wear of suspension. But, within acceptable limits it is okay.

I am not sure about the place of speakers though.

Check when did the owner changed all the belts, as belt breaking is common in Sierras.

What price have you quoted to him against his demand. For me anything above 80-90K Rs is a 'ripper'.
Old 18th September 2010, 23:39   #42
BHPian

well he told me he expects whatever the market rate is. I think the market rate is ~95k for a Sierra in excellent condition. I'm still waiting for the owner to return to Bangalore, he is travelling atm and is expected in a weeks time I'm told.

From my rough estimates I see that I would have to spend a minimum of about 40k to get the vehicle into top condition. Although I could be mistaken. Will be asking the owner to drop it off at our mechanic for a complete estimate; thats how I got to know about his Sierra being up for sale. I think I will be quoting not more than 90k atm.

I still am worried though, whether it is a useful buy. I've never bought a used vehicle before but have always been in love with the Sierra and its comfort. Looking to use it mainly for touring purposes.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:01   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A close friend is still using his Sierra with 1.70 lakhs on the odo, and simply refuses to part with it. He regularly does 300 km round trips to his factory. However, he did have one engine rebuild at 90,000 (or was it earlier??, don't remember). Can't entirely blame the car as his timing belt snapped and the engine simply locked up.

Quote:
Where can I get a Superking blower for the Turbo Sierra
Any competent air-conditioning shop. Superkings are amongst the most popularly sold blowers in India.

Quote:
What is the top speed of the Sierra turbo? I read its 130kmph in many of the posts in this forum but I've also seen a video of a sierra touching 160kmph on this forum!
Sierra Turbos easily touch an indicated 160 kph (the max that the speedo is calibrated to). The UV has some mid-range; I remember leaving modified Zens & Esteems embarassed in the nineties.

Quote:
The power window was getting stuck but everything else was sorted
Don't even bother. The power window winders are a known weak spot with the Sierras. Good thing is, you only have two of them (not four)

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2010 at 23:03.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:51   #44
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys, will post an update once I speak to the owner; which I think will be sometime this week.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:23   #45
BHPian

many people advise to stay away from the Sierra. Why?

Pros & Cons from owners/ex-owners? :\

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks