Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 19:24   #121
BHPian

Most of the times, seeing an indica they would ask Diesel or petrol. That has been my experience so far. Also indicating and telling the attendant yourself rather than waiting for him to ask would be better I suppose.
Quote:
Putting the sticker in multiple languages would be essential if U R crossing states every month.
lol that would be a bit too much.
Old 10th April 2009, 12:41   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
The only suggestion would be to check if the breather tube is choked / blocked.
I hope I have understood your problem!
Thanks @trrk. Today I gave my car for servicing and told the service advisor that the autocutoff sensor doesnt work perfectly and causes some amount of diesel to spill out. The service advisor replied there is no sensor the attendant has to stop filling it . I explained to him that all cars have this autocutoff sensor and then he replied he will check it. I dont have much hopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
I have been religiously doing like that only for more than two decades. Till recently, before getting the Vista I used to go and open the lid myself and watch, in my Uno. On that day when I pulled the fuel lid open knob, she put the fuel dispenser into it and went on to serve an auto. By the time I reached there, seven litres had gone in. BTW, there are four hoses in the same unit, two diesel and two petrol!
I keep it simple. Whenever I approach a petrol bunk, I just lower the window and shout "DIESEL?" and if the booth is petrol they guide me to the right Booth. I would never let them start filling before asking this question.
Old 10th April 2009, 13:41   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Thanks @trrk. Today I gave my car for servicing and told the service advisor that the autocutoff sensor doesnt work perfectly and causes some amount of diesel to spill out. The service advisor replied there is no sensor the attendant has to stop filling it . I explained to him that all cars have this autocutoff sensor and then he replied he will check it. I dont have much hopes.

I thought it is the fuel dispensing nozzle which has the cut off sensor. Even if the tank has a sensor, how will it cut off the fuel flow?

I keep it simple. Whenever I approach a petrol bunk, I just lower the window and shout "DIESEL?" and if the booth is petrol they guide me to the right Booth. I would never let them start filling before asking this question.
As I mentioned twice earlier, the booth had two petrol and two diesel hoses/nozzles. Now shifted to another pump having separate units for petrol and diesel. Even if there is a mistake on their part, I will just get turbojet instead of ordinary diesel.
Old 10th April 2009, 18:49   #124
Senior - BHPian

Hi revhappy,

Quote:
Thanks @trrk. Today I gave my car for servicing and told the service advisor that the autocutoff sensor doesnt work perfectly and causes some amount of diesel to spill out. The service advisor replied there is no sensor the attendant has to stop filling it
This time, the service advisor is right. There is no sensor in the car (any car). The sensor is in the pump nozzle, the sensitivity of which might be different in each one.

Usually the tube which connects to the tank would have a pipe to take the excess fuel near the cap back to tank (or to the outside). If this tube is clogged / blocked, the blow back when the tank is almost full would be more resulting in spilling of the fuel.

In the cars I use, the auto sensor in the pump nozzle cuts so early that it would take anything between two to three litres of fuel to reach the brim.
Old 11th April 2009, 10:45   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi revhappy,

This time, the service advisor is right. There is no sensor in the car (any car). The sensor is in the pump nozzle, the sensitivity of which might be different in each one.

Usually the tube which connects to the tank would have a pipe to take the excess fuel near the cap back to tank (or to the outside). If this tube is clogged / blocked, the blow back when the tank is almost full would be more resulting in spilling of the fuel.

In the cars I use, the auto sensor in the pump nozzle cuts so early that it would take anything between two to three litres of fuel to reach the brim.
Thanks again @trrk, then it must be the breather tube, because I face this issue at all bunks. I will gets it checked next time.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 12th April 2009, 23:04   #126

It is a cast iron disk and not Al-alloy disk. It is common and not to be bothered about.
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:07   #127
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a question.
During my last long trip I tool my Vista over pot holes of medium size at a high speed, a couple of times, the front wheel hits the pothole and it makes a loud thud noise, somewhere near the front wheels. The sound really hurts and I say Aaaaaouuuuuch!!, You know what I mean.

I understand that this would be expected in case the pot hole is really huge, i.e. more than the car's ground clearance, but I am talking of seeming harmless looking potholes about 1/2 a feet deep.

What exactly causes the noise? Is it the rim, axle or just the shock absorbers? I have heard of people driving fast over bad roads and thought this wouldn't cause any damage. Is this true? If not what damage I could be causing. So far I dont find any difference in the ride even after those incidents

TIA,
Nitin

Last edited by revhappy : 3rd May 2009 at 21:08.
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:17   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have a question.
During my last long trip I tool my Vista over pot holes of medium size at a high speed, a couple of times, the front wheel hits the pothole and it makes a loud thud noise, somewhere near the front wheels. The sound really hurts and I say Aaaaaouuuuuch!!, You know what I mean.

I understand that this would be expected in case the pot hole is really huge, i.e. more than the car's ground clearance, but I am talking of seeming harmless looking potholes about 1/2 a feet deep.

What exactly causes the noise? Is it the rim, axle or just the shock absorbers? I have heard of people driving fast over bad roads and thought this wouldn't cause any damage. Is this true? If not what damage I could be causing. So far I dont find any difference in the ride even after those incidents

TIA,
Nitin
Nitin,

There might be a problem with one of the ball joints.
To check this yourself, Jack up the car and try to shake the wheel in all directions (ie clock wise, anticlockwise, towards you and away from you)
If you feel any kat kat movement then get the car checked by the A.S.S and replace the faulty ball joint (there are 3 on each side)

Regards
Nithin
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:37   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have a question.

TIA,
Nitin
At times, the thud noise is because of the shocker bottoming out. The shocker has a finite travel, and hence when the car gets into a pothole, the shocker fully extends initially,and since you are at a fast speed, as soon as you come out of the pot hole, it again compresses. Since the speed is high, in the compression stage, the shocker runs out of travel and hence the thud noise when the movable part of the shocker hits the fixed part.

I love driving fast as well and so I am quite used to the thuds in the roads that we have!! Dosent seem to affect the shockers much,except I have had leaking shockers at times!!!!
Old 4th May 2009, 00:03   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Dosent seem to affect the shockers much,except I have had leaking shockers at times!!!!
Ain't the leakage enough affect on the shockers ?
Old 4th May 2009, 07:10   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
At times, the thud noise is because of the shocker bottoming out. The shocker has a finite travel, and hence when the car gets into a pothole, the shocker fully extends initially,and since you are at a fast speed, as soon as you come out of the pot hole, it again compresses. Since the speed is high, in the compression stage, the shocker runs out of travel and hence the thud noise when the movable part of the shocker hits the fixed part.

I love driving fast as well and so I am quite used to the thuds in the roads that we have!! Dosent seem to affect the shockers much,except I have had leaking shockers at times!!!!

AFAIK the the Vista shock absorbers are Pneumatic and it will not leak like Hydraulic ones and if indeed there is any leak, it is fit enough to be replaced. (the leak will not be visible as an oil)

Last edited by janitha : 4th May 2009 at 07:12.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:12   #132
BHPian

The Vista has gas filled shocks, so if U go over too many bumps they may just run out of air.... (ok, that was a sad PJ)
Old 4th May 2009, 16:31   #133
BHPian

I've read a few posts writing about the power of the HVAC in the vista. During a recent test run I too noticed that the AC doesn't seem to have the 'ice punch' effect . but I felt that the AC on my present vehicle - (Indica DLX turbo) is much stronger. Infact I brought this to the notice of the sales rep - he told me that due to the volume of the vista being much bigger than the old indica - the AC would take some time to cool the cabin.

I am planning to sell of my indica and go for either the getz crdi or the vista and I would place a high priority on the effectiveness of the AC.

So what are your opinions on the vista's cooling capabilities ?
Old 4th May 2009, 18:03   #134
BHPian

Hi

I am owning a Vista TDI for last one month.About the AC i feel that it lacks the punch and it takes sometime(reasonable time) for cooling, but once it cools its not a big issue as such.I personally feel that AC cooling should not be such a big issue to defer you from purchase of the Vehicle.There are other very important parameters which you need to give due weightage.
Old 4th May 2009, 21:16   #135
BHPian

95% of the time its only me and my wife sitting in the car, I just point the front AC vents to our faces and close the side vents completely, this would have a supercooling effect if you keep the air blower at number 2 position and the temperature knob at 10 o' clock position, even during blazing summer afternoon heat.

But I agree, if there are passengers at the back then you need to set the temperature knob much lower and blower speed at Number 3.

Cheers,
Nitin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks