Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 17:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

I think the left leg should always be kept on the floor, except when changing gears and using the clutch. Resting the leg on the clutch not only causes fatigue but causes early clutch wear.
Old 9th February 2009, 11:19   #32
BHPian

I really appreciate Cedia's footrest, it is so comfortable.

My other car Wagon R clutch is too high with no foot rest, that is first thing that hits me while switching cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
My Cedia has a nice Footrest Pedal next to the clutch,hence most of the time I rest my left leg on it comfortable and enjoy the drive.shifting from footrest pedal to clutch is a very easy maneouvre on this car.
Old 9th February 2009, 11:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Never thought it would be a big issue to discuss. I always rest it on the floor. Funny thing is, when I am on long drives (>8 hrs), once my right foot gets tired of pressing the acclerator, the left starts doing the job . But never even in emergencies I have missed to bring it back to clutch pedal in an instant in my 12+ years of driving. I guess it is all about getting used to something.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:07   #34
BHPian

ditto. even I had faced this when driving a santro. have not driven any other car with a dead pedal, so cannot comment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajinkya View Post
A little OT here:
In my experience this was a big nuisance because my shoe used to get cought between this 'rest' and the clutch lever everytime I would declutch.
Old 16th February 2009, 19:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I think the left leg should always be kept on the floor, except when changing gears and using the clutch. Resting the leg on the clutch not only causes fatigue but causes early clutch wear.
I second that. My left foot is flat on the floor except when I need to change gears, or in bumper-to-bumper traffic when even 1st gear is unsuitable.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:20   #36

In Santro there also an option of foot rest and it is very helpful in this case.
Happy driving....
Old 12th August 2019, 15:05   #37
BHPian

Re: Left leg position while driving

Hope I am not flogging a dead horse. This post has genesis from my 70km x 2 drive on Noida-Greater Noida Expressway and Yamuna Expressway yesterday.

Above, every knowledgeable member is of the opinion that clutch must not be ridden, to which I whole-heatedly agree and have abided by in my.

But, yesterday, I felt that the weight of my foot was not taking the clutch pedal down to end of free travel, with some mm still remaining before I started feeling the retaining force on applying pressing effort. That means, there was no chance of the clutch pressure being reduced, hence clutch slippage. There is no dead pedal in my Nissan Kicks petrol.

So, is it OK to let your toes rest on the clutch pedal if your heal solidly rests on the floor, on long rides? (Oh, Do I miss that Venue DCT or even Amaze CVT, and things people think of doing to automate torque supply!)
Old 14th January 2020, 20:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechy_74 View Post
So, is it OK to let your toes rest on the clutch pedal if your heal solidly rests on the floor, on long rides? (Oh, Do I miss that Venue DCT or even Amaze CVT, and things people think of doing to automate torque supply!)
I have exactly the same question. In Ford Figo (2012), there is no space to the left of the clutch pedal for resting the toes, so to take the leg off the clutch, I have to fold my leg (increase the fold angle). I do this on highways and road stretches where I know I can maintain the speed, but with in the city, this becomes extremely inconvenient to do repetitively, so I end up leaving my leg on, with the weight of the leg on the knee-end instead of the toe-end. I evaluated my usage many times to understand exactly how far the clutch gets depressed and it was never to the point where I can start feeling the resistance so I assumed that this is fine. However, I always wanted to confirm this with experts and also wondered what other Ford Figo owners do.
haridsv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 22:07   #39
BANNED

Quote:
So, is it OK to let your toes rest on the clutch pedal if your heal solidly rests on the floor, on long rides?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridsv View Post
so I end up leaving my leg on, with the weight of the leg on the knee-end instead of the toe-end.
My advice would be to not even touch your clutch pedal once it’s ‘intended use’ is performed. No matter you have a dead pedal or not, make it a habit to take off your foot from clutch once gear shift is performed. Otherwise the ‘cost cutting’ companies would not have provided a dead pedal if your foot could be rested on clutch after the gear change.
Old 17th January 2020, 01:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope I am not flogging a dead horse. This post has genesis from my 70km x 2 drive on Noida-Greater Noida Expressway and Yamuna Expressway yesterday.

Above, every knowledgeable member is of the opinion that clutch must not be ridden, to which I whole-heatedly agree and have abided by in my.

But, yesterday, I felt that the weight of my foot was not taking the clutch pedal down to end of free travel, with some mm still remaining before I started feeling the retaining force on applying pressing effort. That means, there was no chance of the clutch pressure being reduced, hence clutch slippage. There is no dead pedal in my Nissan Kicks petrol.

Isn't it more comfortable to rest the foot on the floor than have it hanging at an angle with almost the whole weight on the heel?
Old 17th January 2020, 08:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Isn't it more comfortable to rest the foot on the floor than have it hanging at an angle with almost the whole weight on the heel?
Word word.

I am now getting pain in my left knee just because I was placing my left leg thumb on the clutch all the while even in scenarios when it was not needed. Keeping it flat on the floor or on the dead pedal is correct. Also, the heel started to wear out on my left foot with soft spot developing due to extended holding in same position.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Left leg should ideally be kept on the floor just in front of the clutch pedal, because keeping it on the clutch pedal might inadvertently cause clutch riding, which is of course not a good habit.

Also, on long highway drives, when gear changes are infrequently required, i make sure I move my foot around with some basic and small arcing movements, in order to ensure that numbness does not set in and blood circulation is continued. This is pretty important, since in automatic cars, I have heard plenty of people complain that their unused left foot becomes numb with inactivity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks