Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 13:26   #76
BHPian

Re: A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)

I was cleaning the air filter on the honda city 2011 model.

It uses a cotton based filter coated with oil.

I washed it by dipping it in water and detergent, as the there is not other way to remove the dust and oil from the filter.

I let dry for a day but unfortunately it has been raining yesterday so very little Sun.

I put it back in after running it through a hair dryer and applying some motor oil. it felt reasonably dry to touch.

I revved the car hard and it was struggling to suck air so I went near the engine and I see a stream of water flowing from under the air filter box.

So I switched off the engine and re-opened the air filter only to find it very wet.

Luckily none of the engine check lights came on. Feel like an Idiot now I am waiting for the air filter to dry out completely. Hopefully there is no problem after this.

Next time I plan to weigh the filter before and after cleaning, to ensure that there is absolutely no residual water in the filter.
Old 25th August 2013, 16:22   #77
BHPian

After going through this thread I was checking my service records to see when was my Vista's air filter changed lastly and shocked to know it hasn't been changed till date. But I remember the TASS SA saying after every service that it has been cleaned and I wonder why they haven't changed it at 20k service atleast. The car got its brake fluid, coolant, engine oil changed a week back at 25k kms. Now tomorrow first thing in the morning is to rush to the nearest TATA spares center to get a new air filter. Any idea on the cost of a air filter for Indica Vista?
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:41   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
I was cleaning the air filter on the honda city 2011 model.

It uses a cotton based filter coated with oil.

I washed it by dipping it in water and detergent, as the there is not other way to remove the dust and oil from the filter.
I dont think cleaning air filter with water is a good idea. As you mentioned it is a cotton based filter, using water might reduce porous nature of the filter and will impact the filter for sure. We should use a low pressure blower to blow of the dust. Better to replace the filter ( it is cheap compared to other spares) if it is too dirty rather than washing with water.
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

I simply dont get them cleaned , the parts are fairly inexpensive and each time the car(s) used to go for servicing i used to get a new one put in.

The Wagon R used to see a service a few a year - the part was only about 150 INR so not much damage to the wallet

In the case of the Fabia the Airfilter is about 400-500 INR but given the intervals the car sees a service once a year - so again hardly any investment.

The T-Jet airfilter is closer to 700 INR but again i will change it at every interval given that the gaps between the servicing intervals are substantial just like Skoda's

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
After going through this thread I was checking my service records to see when was my Vista's air filter changed lastly and shocked to know it hasn't been changed till date. But I remember the TASS SA saying after every service that it has been cleaned and I wonder why they haven't changed it at 20k service atleast. The car got its brake fluid, coolant, engine oil changed a week back at 25k kms. Now tomorrow first thing in the morning is to rush to the nearest TATA spares center to get a new air filter. Any idea on the cost of a air filter for Indica Vista?
Old 24th September 2013, 20:10   #80
DRC
BHPian

Re: Air filter location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
2parag,

The red arrow shows the air filter. Open the box, remove the filter carefully, use low pressure compressed air to blow away the dust, box it back & you're done!

Hi,
So far I was unable to undo those clips on hoses going to EGR that are stuck to air box. could you please throw some light on how to undo them?
DRC
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:00   #81
Senior - BHPian

Last week, I changed the engine oil, the oil filter, the spark plugs and the air filter for my SX4 VVT.

After replacing, I inspected the old air filter, which had been in use for last 20000 km. It did not appear too dirty. There was no dust and no loose particles.

Even after tapping it against the wall, no dust was released. Out of curiosity, I decided to wash the air filter.

I took some water in a bucket, with some Surf (detergent) added to the same. I was planning to keep the filter in the water and allow some time for the detergent to release the dirt. But to my surprise, as soon as I dipped the filter in the water, the water turned dark black instantly, in 1-2 seconds !

I was surprised. I stirred the water with the filter and drained the same. Repeated the step. Again the water turned dark black instantly ! I did this totally 3 times.

I am attaching the photographs of the filter before washing. The darker side is the inlet side. The grey looking side is the outlet side.

I am now keeping the filter in the sun for it to dry. It may take a day or two. I do not plan to re-use this filter. But I wonder, what was that matter in the filter, which was making the water dark black instantly? Was it the color of the element fabric? Was it some deposit from the blow-by (through PCV system)? Experts are requested to comment.
Attached Thumbnails
A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-img_20151201_115113.jpg  

A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-img_20151201_115118.jpg  

A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-img_20151201_115123.jpg  

A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-img_20151201_115620.jpg  

A pictorial guide to cleaning air filter at home (Page 2)-img_20151201_115628.jpg  

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 2nd December 2015 at 12:02.
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:07   #82
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Last week, I changed the engine oil, the oil filter, the spark plugs and the air filter for my SX4 VVT. Even after tapping it against the wall, no dust was released. Out of curiosity, I decided to wash the air filter.
Please do not reuse this air filter. The OEM air filter for Maruti are a one-time use. Washing the paper based air filter in water seriously shortens its life and it can tear when used again. The color of the water turned black since the fine particles that were not dislodged by tapping the filter were instantly dissolved when immersed in water.

Last edited by gpa : 2nd December 2015 at 12:08.
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:13   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Last week, I changed the engine oil, the oil filter, the spark plugs and the air filter for my SX4 VVT.
Absolutely agree with gpa.

All filters by Maruti Suzuki are one time usage ones. This includes the cabin air filter too. If one blows pressurized air the paper structure ruptures decreasing is filtration efficiency harming the engine.

Just change all filters as per schedule. No need to wash.
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Please do not reuse this air filter. The OEM air filter for Maruti are a one-time use. Washing the paper based air filter in water seriously shortens its life and it can tear when used again. The color of the water turned black since the fine particles that were not dislodged by tapping the filter were instantly dissolved when immersed in water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Absolutely agree with gpa.

All filters by Maruti Suzuki are one time usage ones. This includes the cabin air filter too. If one blows pressurized air the paper structure ruptures decreasing is filtration efficiency harming the engine.

Just change all filters as per schedule. No need to wash.
Please read my post completely. I already said that I do not plan to re-use the filter.

I posted the information to seek opinion about likely source of the dark black matter.

I had also blown air in both the directions. Even then there were no particles or dust released. That's the reason I wonder about the cause of instant darkening of the water.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 2nd December 2015 at 12:27.
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:48   #85
BHPian

Apologies for bumping up this thread - but could not find another thread to ask this question:

Are OE Air Filters custom designed for manufacturers or are they linked to engine types? To elaborate, since the Swift and Indica diesels use the same engines in the same state of tune, would they use the same Air Filter (dimensions/ filtration effectiveness) or would they be different?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
Old 4th August 2019, 10:29   #86
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner - DIY cleaning the air filter

ahhh! found this old thread on this subject !!

The air filter in Toyota Fortuner is fairly easy to clean. I do this DIY cleaning every few weeks, and is also done during the periodic service at workshop.

I have made a video for same:

At the neighboring car washing outlet, I routinely use pressurized air to clean the dust from the radiator fins, blowing from both directions - outside and inside. You would be surprised to see so much dust being removed, which would be good for radiator's health. After the air cleaning is done, then continue the regular wash, later spray some water on the fins. Ensure that pressure is not high to prevent any damage to the fins!

regards,
Pranav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks