Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 18:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fitting a FFE and Headers in a JEEP

Hi Gurus,

Just wanted to understand the effect of using a FFE coupled with a good headers and Air intake in a diesel vehicle.

Am planning to experiment the setup in my Jeep, viz, '89 MM540 DP.

If you feel it is a waste of time, please feel free to give inputs!
Old 20th November 2008, 18:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

All I know is its going sound freken loud and ugly in traffic and in city. It would be music to most petro-heads.

Dont you need lots of back pressure for those lows? Wont FFE cause a problem? (unless using uneven pipes?)
Old 20th November 2008, 18:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont know and thats why I posted this question. Apparently, there are some jeeps with FFE and Air filters on the forum and if i can get an improvement in performance, why not?
Old 20th November 2008, 23:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi Gurus,

Just wanted to understand the effect of using a FFE coupled with a good headers and Air intake in a diesel vehicle.

Am planning to experiment the setup in my Jeep, viz, '89 MM540 DP.

If you feel it is a waste of time, please feel free to give inputs!
Just do it. I have FFE and a K&N filter in my red 340 and 550. The sound is really LOUD, but improves performance.

Diesels actually pump more air than petrol engines, so they definitely benefit from FFE and low restriction intakes.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:11   #5
BHPian

In effect, you are going to improve the breathing capability of your Jeep. Will it improve performance? Marginally perhaps. Butttttttttttttt......why bother? May be worth trying on a modern common-rail but an '89 540? IMO, that money will be better spent on refurb'ing or making her a better offroader.

Also, I have to take so much care with the K&N in my Vtec (during the monsoons, catches dust so easily etc. etc.); the last thing I'd want while offroading is to worry about a damn filter sucking in water.

For reference : Linky

Last edited by Administrator : 20th November 2008 at 23:19.
Old 21st November 2008, 08:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
In effect, you are going to improve the breathing capability of your Jeep. Will it improve performance? Marginally perhaps. Butttttttttttttt......why bother?

Hey Thanks for the linky; Am interested in tweaking the 540s engine as i find it very rudimentary and easy to tune up!

Its simplicity is what attracts me!
Old 21st November 2008, 09:48   #7
BHPian

One other thing you can do is to increase the fuel flow. There should be a small fuel flow adjustment screw on the diesel pump. Give it a quarter turn or so to make the mixture richer. There should be no black smoke under normal conditions, but some during full throttle. This will give you a few extra horsepower.

Make sure you mount the K&N as high as possible and near the firewall if you going to do deep water and mud bogging.
Old 21st November 2008, 18:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

[quote=headers;1061675]Hey Thanks for the linky; Am interested in tweaking the 540s engine as i find it very rudimentary/QUOTE]

I think it will still stay rudimentary, no matter what you do to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
One other thing you can do is to increase the fuel flow. There should be a small fuel flow adjustment screw on the diesel pump. Give it a quarter turn or so to make the mixture richer. There should be no black smoke under normal conditions, but some during full throttle. This will give you a few extra horsepower.
Man, you just reminded me of my 137D days! We used to do this to our Padminis for highway trips.
Old 21st November 2008, 19:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think it will still stay rudimentary, no matter what you do to it.
GTO, thats the challenge is it not? No point tweaking a powerful engine. Anyways will keep you guys updated on the progress!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks