Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2008, 19:28   #1
bkm
BHPian

Strange experience with tubeless tyre of spark

My spark was parked in a covered garage for four days, as i was out of town. On return when I went to drive out the car , I found that rear right tyre was totally flat.It was different than what I had heard about a tubeless tyre that tubeless tyre do not go fully flat. I thought I may need to take this wheel for puncture repair. But then I thought let me refill the air through my leg pump kept at home. The air was filled in the morning and even after 12 hrs , the tyre is full of air. There is no leakage.
I am unable to understand the phenomenon and whether there is any puncture?
Please help by explaining.
Binoy
Old 5th November 2008, 19:36   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
My spark was parked in a covered garage for four days, as i was out of town. On return when I went to drive out the car , I found that rear right tyre was totally flat.It was different than what I had heard about a tubeless tyre that tubeless tyre do not go fully flat. I thought I may need to take this wheel for puncture repair. But then I thought let me refill the air through my leg pump kept at home. The air was filled in the morning and even after 12 hrs , the tyre is full of air. There is no leakage.
I am unable to understand the phenomenon and whether there is any puncture?
Please help by explaining.
Binoy
Since you mention there is no drop in air pressure even after 12 hours, it could be possible that someone deflated it rather than the tyre deflating itself, as in a puncture. Tyres are simple things, they don't have a mind of their own - unlike mechanicals and electronics.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 5th November 2008, 19:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Since you mention there is no drop in air pressure even after 12 hours, it could be possible that someone deflated it rather than the tyre deflating itself, as in a puncture. Tyres are simple things, they don't have a mind of their own - unlike mechanicals and electronics.

Cheers!
DueLLeR

I fully agree with DUELLER , sounds like someone has played a prank on your Car tyre cause if there really was a puncture then you would have seen some difference in pressure in 12 hours.

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 5th November 2008, 21:01   #4
BHPian

till last year, I have tubed tyre in my car, and the spare tyre was tubeless one. I had to use the spare after a long time, and it was almost flat, however I got the air refilled and it again subsidized after 12 hours. I again refilled the air, however since that day the air presuure has not gone down. Its been 10 months now.
Old 6th November 2008, 10:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

It could be either intended deflation or a small puncture in tyre. Although tubeless tyre will lose air slowly, it can get entirely deflated if left stationary for longer duration like 4 days. Keep regular check on air pressure in the tyre. If it loses air fast, then have it checked for a puncture/valve leak.

If are a DIY person, have a look at this thread for puncture repair for tubeless tyre. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-puncture.html
Old 6th November 2008, 10:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
It could be either intended deflation or a small puncture in tyre. Although tubeless tyre will lose air slowly, it can get entirely deflated if left stationary for longer duration like 4 days. Keep regular check on air pressure in the tyre. If it loses air fast, then have it checked for a puncture/valve leak.

If are a DIY person, have a look at this thread for puncture repair for tubeless tyre. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-puncture.html
I doubt that tubeless tyre will get deflated if left stationary for longer duration like 4 days .
Old 6th November 2008, 10:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had left my Safari stationary for 3 weeks and no loss of pressure. I had even checked my spare after 10 months, no loss of air there too. A usualy suspect is a hairpin puncture, you loose like 2 PSI in 2 weeks.
Old 6th November 2008, 10:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I am referring to a situation in case of puncture. Tubeless tyre can get deflated in case of a puncture if left stationary (happened with me once).
Old 6th November 2008, 13:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I am referring to a situation in case of puncture. Tubeless tyre can get deflated in case of a puncture if left stationary (happened with me once).
This will happen only if the puncture did not self seal itself. Meaning, the nail (or whatever) was in such a position that it allowed the air to leak. Now this has no relevance to either the vehicle being stationary or in motion , the air will leak slowly.

We have one user in this forum who have nails stuck on to his wheels for months together and still happily (a bit risky, I say) driving on!
Old 6th November 2008, 13:38   #10
BHPian

My Magnum Tyre was punctured, and I have used it for almost 2 months without fixing it, since I didn't get time to go and find a shop . I had to fill air in that tyre every 3 days but. It was not a problem for me since I have one electric deflater always within the Car. Finally Last Saturday I have taken it the the Shop and pulled out a big nail out of it.

I also have noticed this phenomena bkm mentioned during this time.

I had take the car to Ooty and back with punctured tyre but all through the days(4 days) pressure was reduced only by 2 psi. I believe the reason is being I was driving all through. But if I would have parked the car for more than 2 days it would have dropped the pressure very rapidly. Can please explain why?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 6th November 2008 at 13:43.
Old 6th November 2008, 13:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

After the second refilling the tyre understood that it had to retain the air, hence no flat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
till last year, I have tubed tyre in my car, and the spare tyre was tubeless one. I had to use the spare after a long time, and it was almost flat, however I got the air refilled and it again subsidized after 12 hours. I again refilled the air, however since that day the air presuure has not gone down. Its been 10 months now.
Old 6th November 2008, 15:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ HappyWheels:

You explained better than me; my post was not detailed enough as yours. I wanted express/explain exactly what you have described.
Old 6th November 2008, 18:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

1)Maybe the wallpin wasnt seated properly?

2). When you pushed the air pump's nozzle in, the wallpin was seated properly and hence the air didnt leak out this time

3). The tubeless neck isnt seated properly. You would have probably moved it while filling air and that may have caused the air to stay in this time

4). The beading of the tubeless tyre wasnt seated properly on the rim(steel or alloy). When it deflated completely and you reinflated, it was then seated properly.

These are just 4 POSSIBLE things I could think of.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks