Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 20:23   #10006
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Hi Everyone!
I am facing some issues as mentioned below, with my Civic V AT 2011 model since about 2 months now.

2. Feel slight sluggishness in acceleration. Engine revs normally but somehow feel that the car is not moving with eagerness. This is with just me in the car driving and no one else. Air pressure in the tyres is normal.

3. Since last few months, gear shifting is felt more, especially from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd. After 3rd it feels normal.

5. At Idle, engine rpm is not consistent, sometimes drops till 600 rpm, almost feels like stalling but never stalled either at idle or while driving. Feel like vibration at idle is more than earlier.

Also, would highly appreciate if someone can recommend me a trusted and competent FNG in Bangalore, as I don't have full confidence in my current FNG to deal with engine related issues.
I think you will need to do a transmission flush(Since it is an AT gearbox). This may solve problem regarding the shifting pattern of the car. Do ask your mechanic to open the transmission bell housing and check the condition of the components as well.

Regarding the erratic idling, since you've said that the water entered the combustion chamber, there is a high chance that your MAF sensor has been contaminated. It is the sensor that is placed inside the air filter housing, and you might need to use some MAF sensor cleaner(from 3M or anything else), along with throttle body cleaning. This may solve your problem.

You can try Engineering Exponent in Hoodi, Whitefield if you're not confident about your present FNG. You can call them, fix an appointment and list out whatever issues that you are facing, including your ECU thing.
I'm confident they will be able to address most of your issues as they know their stuff really well.

Good luck!
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 03:43   #10007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
I think you will need to do a transmission flush...... be able to address most of your issues as they know their stuff really well.

Good luck!
Sorry for the late update!

I got ATF changed at Honda ASC with Genuine Honda ATF. Slight improvement in gear shifting from 1st to 2nd, not much. Still, shifting is not too jerky by any means and conpletely liveable, just that I wanted it to be completely seamless!

About 800 kms back, added Ceratec to the engine oil (1500 kms old engine oil at the time of adding ceratec).

Also, once added Liqui Moly Injector cleaner and few days back added Liqui Moly petrol additive to the fuel.

Ceratec has worked greatly and engine sound and vibrations have reduced a lot. Engine sound, which was already smooth earlier, has become even more smooth now. I intentionally switch off the audio player often times to listen to that sweet melody coming out of the hood! At 80kph, all there is, is just the tire noise!

Coming to issues with the car mentioned in my earlier post, issue no. 1 is somehow not much noticeable now, stuttering has reduced by a fair margin, although its still there.

Noticeable improvement in Issue no. 2 and 3 as well.

Issue no. 4- checked mileage thrice with tankful method, got 7.7kmpl average (20% highway, 80% city use). Not too unhappy with this mileage, but i expect atleast 9kmpl in completely city use (Bangalore traffic).
Am I demanding a lot at 9kmpl in Bangalore traffic? Suspecting Faulty ECU in this case.
Havent yet taken to the mecahnic due to lack of time and also that car is otherwise running normal with no error lights as well on the dash.

Issue no. 5 has improved a lot, and erractic idling is almost gone. Dont know how! Has Ceratec/ Injector cleaner got to do anything with this?

Issue no. 6 never came back again till date.

However, a new issue has now surfaced, screeching sound coming from engine upon starting the car, last for about a km of drive then goes away on its own.
Is it time to change Serpentine belt/ Timing belt?
It has never been changed and car is at 1.02L kms now.

Have decided to get the ECU checked at next service (after 2000 kms/2 months). This is the only fault even the OBD scanner is showing (error code U0155).
Will update after the next service.
Old 23rd November 2023, 23:02   #10008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Sorry for the late update!

Have decided to get the ECU checked at next service (after 2000 kms/2 months). This is the only fault even the OBD scanner is showing (error code U0155).
Will update after the next service.
Glad your car is doing better now.

I get around 8-9 kmpl on my Civic, checked by tank to tank method. Most of my driving is only within the city, sometimes(once in 4 months) we take it out on the expressway. I don't think you should be very worried about it, it isn't far off from normal.

If you haven't used any additives in your car before, I think Ceratec and the injector cleaner is responsible for this. Every year, I make sure I go try out atleast one additive(Have tried quite a few, many of them didn't have much of an impact except for the STP injector cleaner and power booster). I might try Ceratec next oil change since it did make quite the difference for you.

With regards to your screeching noise, please get your serpentine belt changed along with the tensioner, as the service manual states that you must change it at 1L kms. Also, please go for Honda OE parts only for this. I learnt that the hard way.

Regarding your error code, a quick Google search shows that it might be linked to issue no.6 that you mentioned. I think HASS will try to make you change the whole cluster for some reason, I don't think that's necessary. Go to a trusted garage in Bangalore who works on electronics and doesn't blindly follow 'replace and not repair'.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 23rd November 2023 at 23:05.
Old 3rd January 2024, 17:34   #10009
Senior - BHPian

Got a minor hiccup.
Few weeks back the battery went dead all of a sudden and had to be replaced. But after this battery replacement, the head unit is behaving weirdly.
Selecting FM option will actually set up the CD player, trying to turn volume dial will cause the FM radio station to update the frequency etc.

Has anyone faced such an issue?
Also please suggest if there is a way to reset the head unit, if any.
Old 3rd January 2024, 17:41   #10010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Got a minor hiccup.
Few weeks back the battery went dead all of a sudden and had to be replaced. But after this battery replacement, the head unit is behaving weirdly.
Selecting FM option will actually set up the CD player, trying to turn volume dial will cause the FM radio station to update the frequency etc.

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminal (negative) again. That will effectively reset the music system.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 17:55   #10011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminal (negative) again. That will effectively reset the music system.
Yes, I did this.
Initially I unplugged the radio fuse and re enabled the fuse. It did not do anything. After which, I removed and reconnected the battery terminal. That didn't help either
Old 3rd January 2024, 17:59   #10012
Senior - BHPian

Guys, one query from experts.

What was the increase in ground clearance of the facelift from the original models??

What were the changes from a suspension point of view overall??
Old 3rd January 2024, 23:34   #10013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
What was the increase in ground clearance of the facelift from the original models??
What were the changes from a suspension point of view overall??
I don't think that the changes were ever quantified by Honda. The details just indicated that
Quote:
'improved spring and damper rates in rear suspension'.
Summary of the facelift that happened in Sep 2009.
  • The new Front Grille and restyled Front Sporty Bumper
  • Dark Smokey Headlights & Crystalline Octagonal Tail Lights
  • Audio system got USB port together with the CD player. (As mentioned above, the 6CD changer was replaced with a single CD)
  • Polished Metal color introduced. Violet color discontinued.
  • SMT had fabric update.
  • VMT & VAT got steering mounted cruise control system
  • New sporty fog light with garnish
  • Newly designed alloy wheel
  • Package that included the new spoiler and rear parking sensors with door visors

And this is the full press release;
Quote:
HSCI Launches the Sportier and More Aggressive New Honda Civic

Kick starts the “Festive Season” with New Civic

New Delhi, September 8, 2009: Honda Siel Cars India, leading manufacturer of premium cars in India, today launched the new Honda Civic with aesthically designed new looks.

The new Honda Civic further augments the style quotient of the globally successful and India’s most loved LD segment car - the Honda Civic. It is an excellent combination of new-age and sporty design and aggressive appeal together with the cutting-edge technology and refined engine.

The new Civic juxtaposes Honda’s advanced technology with striking design. The new Curved 5 Point Metallic Front Grille and restyled Front Sporty Bumper add to a pulsating and aggressive appeal of the car. The introduction of stylized Dark Smokey Headlights & Crystalline Octagonal Tail Lights enhance the contemporary look of the car.

The new Honda Civic comes with more exclusive features that make it an even more desirable sedan. In line with the preferences of the customers, the audio system of the new Civic comes equipped with a USB port together with the CD player. The intelligent fuel economy indicator introduced in the new Honda Civic will enable the customers to achieve the good fuel efficiency.

New Civic will be available in 3 variants – SMT, VMT & VAT. Honda civic will have an additional color option Polished Metal along with the existing colors available in the range.

The new Civic SMT comes with two tone luxury high quality fabric seats with matching fabric on door panels & armrest. Honda Civic VMT & VAT comes with a steering mounted cruise control system that helps to cruise at the desired speed with one touch operation. It also comes with a new sporty fog light with garnish and newly designed alloy wheel.

Additionally, all the variants will be available in 2 attractive types – Elegance and Inspire.

The 1.8 L i-VTEC engine in the new Honda Civic is the most advanced engine technology available in the segment. It combines Honda’s i-VTEC (Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) technology with VTC (Variable Time Control), delivering both powerful performance and superior fuel economy. The i-VTEC regulates the opening of air-fuel intake valves and exhaust valves in accordance with engine speeds. By regulating valve opening to match engine speed, the agile i-VTEC engine adjusts its characteristics to realize both superior power and low fuel consumption. With i-VTEC engine technology, Honda is working to ensure environmental responsibility while delivering driving pleasure.

The ARAI fuel efficiency results of 15.5 km/l for Civic MT reiterates its unmatched fuel economy. In line with Honda’s mission to reduce its environment footprint, the new Honda Civic is E10 compatible and has Euro IV emission levels.

Safety of passengers and pedestrians is a top priority for Honda and all safety equipment is standard across all variants. The Honda Civic comes fully loaded with various active and passive safety features including ABS (Anti – Lock braking system) with EBD (Electronic Brake – Force Distribution System) & Brake Assist, Dual SRS airbags and pre-tensioner seat belts. Honda’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering Body (ACE) and G-CON (G-Force Control Technology) provide a high integrity survival zone that enhances self-protection and better compatibility in collisions with other vehicles.
E10 compatible and has EIV emission levels.
Launched in 2006, the Honda Civic redefined the lower D segment of passenger car segment in India. This segment witnessed unprecedented sales soon after the launch of the Honda Civic. HSCI has sold over 42,000 units in just over 3 years. Honda Civic has won 10 automobile awards including the Indian Car of the Year (ICOTY) 2007. It was also winner of the JD Power Initial Quality Study in its very 1st year with the best ever score in the Industry.

Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Masahiro Takedagawa, President and CEO, Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. said, “The Honda Civic is a segment defining product both in terms of looks and performance. The new Honda Civic carries forward the legacy of the Civic which is already the most refined and advanced car in the segment.”

Bookings for the new Honda Civic will start immediately at the company’s distribution network of 106 authorised dealership facilities, across the country. This network is likely to go up to 112 facilities by the end of the current financial year.

The all Honda Civic comes with a 2+2 year warranty and 24-hr roadside assistance as standard value for all new Civic buyers.

Price of the New Honda Civic (Ex showroom -Delhi)

Honda Civic SMT: 11.8 lakh
Honda Civic VMT: 12.7 lakh
Honda Civic VAT: 13.44 lakh
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 16:27   #10014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitrpatil View Post
Guys, Just replaced the battery and the audio system got reset and the volume controls are switched (the tune knob now controls volume and vice versa...
Quote:
Got a minor hiccup.
Hello sir,
I found this earlier post which indicated abnormal behaviour regarding the radio system post Battery replacement. Not sure if OP got it fixed, would like to know as well.

Does it behave weirdly when the car is off as well?

I would try removing the head unit and checking the coupler pins with a multimeter, or using a different head unit sourced from somewhere, just to check. Seems like a voltage related issue. Usually electronics behave this way when the voltage regulator isn't doing its job, I don't know exactly if that is the case here as well.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 4th January 2024 at 16:28.
Old 4th January 2024, 16:51   #10015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Hello sir,
I found this earlier post which indicated abnormal behaviour regarding the radio system post Battery replacement. Not sure if OP got it fixed, would like to know as well.

Does it behave weirdly when the car is off as well?

I would try removing the head unit and checking the coupler pins with a multimeter, or using a different head unit sourced from somewhere, just to check. Seems like a voltage related issue. Usually electronics behave this way when the voltage regulator isn't doing its job, I don't know exactly if that is the case here as well.
I will keep this thread updated if am able to get it resolved.
Yep, it's very weird; Now the 'Tune' knob controls volume, and 'Volume' known controls Tune. Source selectors are messed up as well, but all others just goes in fine.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 17:27   #10016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My old Civic's FM/Volume button had interchanged (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos). Seems to be a Civic related head unit issue. I later change the head unit as the CD player had become kaput and ASS wanted 6k for repairs. I bought a new head unit for the same amount plus 2k for the unit trim.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th January 2024 at 17:53.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 18:26   #10017

Quote:
I will keep this thread updated if am able to get it resolved.
Yep, it's very weird; Now the 'Tune' knob controls volume, and 'Volume' known controls Tune. Source selectors are messed up as well, but all others just goes in fine.
Hey,
Just saw your post and I have faced the same issue as mentioned above. All I did was leave the battery disconnected for the night. That seems to do the trick. Along with the button issue, i also had issue where in only the rear speaker were playing sounds. Please try leaving the battery disconnected overnight.
abhijitrpatil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 11:25   #10018
Senior - BHPian

This is happening in my father's 2007 Honda Civic S-AT

This flickering happens when the car is locked and parked. Key is not inside the car and the car is locked.

This led to the battery draining and had to be replaced. New Amaron battery was installed but this still continues.

The running of the car is very low since my father is a senior citizen and he uses the car just for his local errands inside Nashik City.

Any ideas?
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 12:05   #10019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

https://Youtu.be/wJvihBC1aX4?si=EudH4a3oxKt05EJ8

This flickering happens when the car is locked and parked. Key is not inside the car and the car is locked.

This led to the battery draining and had to be replaced. New Amaron battery was installed but this still continues.

The running of the car is very low since my father is a senior citizen and he uses the car just for his local errands inside Nashik City.

Any ideas?
Had happened to my Civic a couple of years ago. My FNG said the "IC" has gone kaput and said he could get it repaired. He got the job done for 3K . Though I don't own the car now, it worked flawlessly post the repair.

Speak to your garage because Honda A.S.S will tell you to replace it.
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 13:25   #10020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
This would happen to my car but only the speedo would flicker during the rainy season. It would remain on overnight but did not face battery issue. Once the car dried up it would stop the tantrum. One day the speedo would not come on and the garage guy simply disconnected the battery and re-connected and it began to work. Is your car parked in a rainy area by any chance?
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks