Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2018, 09:00   #9091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHURCHIL View Post
Hi

How much did the PS pump cost you? My civic has a minor leak. It is currently at 92K on the odo. Replacing the engine and transmission mounts this week. Trying to decide between a PS overhaul and OEM replacement. Please advise.
It costed me 17k. Had replaced at 97k. Been working fine since then.
Old 5th June 2018, 11:09   #9092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I changed the pump to a Chinese make one...as the original one had a major leak. This new one is holding good, but it's not as powerful as the original. I still have to top up the PS fluid once in a month, and I had diagnosed it to the rack having a minor leak.

My running is 3k kms a month but I've not had any trouble so far. I think it's better to manage the issue rather than try to go in for a complete overhaul or repair until the problem is too big for it to be passed off.
I also am facing a power steering leak fluid leak. Earlier, it was from the rack seals, and was very minor. Not it's from the pump itself. I have to top up the fluid every week.

My mechanic says he can repair the pump by replacing the seals/o-rings etc. inside the pump. I think i will give it a try.

Rgds
Old 5th June 2018, 17:30   #9093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
I also am facing a power steering leak fluid leak. Earlier, it was from the rack seals, and was very minor. Not it's from the pump itself. I have to top up the fluid every week.

My mechanic says he can repair the pump by replacing the seals/o-rings etc. inside the pump. I think i will give it a try.

Rgds
I had got the same done initially. I paid 2500 bucks. The repair lasted me 5000 kms more. I ultimately had to replace the pump.

Good luck!
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 12:25   #9094
BHPian

Quote:
It costed me 17k. Had replaced at 97k. Been working fine since then.
Hi,

is this pump from HASS? or aftermarket? Which brand, if any?

rgds
Old 6th June 2018, 17:33   #9095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,

is this pump from HASS? or aftermarket? Which brand, if any?

rgds
Aftermarket. No idea about the brand. I don't remember.
Old 14th June 2018, 01:56   #9096
Senior - BHPian

The relay for the high speed fan went bust. It was a 20A one. The store didn't have the same so they gave me a 30A relay. It works fine.

However, I feel that instead of only the radiator fan that used to switch on when the car heated up, both the fans switch on. Or is it just my imagination and both the relays are compatible?

My mileage also seems to have dipped a bit but that ought to be totally unrelated I'm assuming?
Old 15th June 2018, 16:12   #9097
BHPian

Hi
Recently bought a pre-owned 2006 Honda Civic At.
Car was in a great condition until one day in traffic, it started heated up while the ac was on. Switched the AC off and the temperature went back to normal.
Here is where the regrets start.
I decided to get the radiator cleaned at a FNG. He cleaned the radiator and placed it back, and the coolant wont fill in and gas was escaping from the coolant filler hole.

A blown head gasket probably.

I go to the HASS, and they opened up the engine without a hiccup and diagnosed the problem.

Now the "taking me for a ride" part starts.
Here are the list of repair/replacements they say I should do;
Packing kit
Gasket
Water pump
Intake valves
Exhaust valves
Thermostat body
Timing chain and it's parts
New radiator

I am attaching the photos of the opened engine for convenience.

The overall repair cost is exceeding the value of the car but I'm willing to splurge and fix the car due to it being automatic.

My question to fellow knowledgeable members is;
A) the repairs, coming to around a total cost of 2L, are they all required except the head gasket (engine did not have any acceleration problem or noise from the engine compartment) ?

B) should I give the car outside to a guy like prabu? (new Mars kukattpally)

Quote:
The radiator had leaks at multiple points. Getting it replaced. The sensor at the bottom of the radiator was blocked due to the coolant coagulation at the base with dust.
Hi!
Did you finally get rid of the overheating problem?
Facing a very similar issue
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20180615wa0030.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20180615wa0012.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20180615wa0013.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20180615wa0014.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20180615wa0015.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th June 2018 at 19:27. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 15th June 2018, 18:10   #9098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran.Syed View Post
Hi!
Get a new thermostat assembly and check the cylinder deck and head for any kind of warpage. Timing chain and valves can be inspected for wear.
Before replacing any part check if this was a mechanical issue or an electrical issue which caused the engine to overheat and blow the head gasket in the first place. Since this engine is an all aluminum block, it warps really easily when overheated.

Spending 2lacs at Honda ASC isn't worth it, IMO when it can be fixed at a FNG for a fraction of this quote.

Since you stay in Hyderabad, I can help you out with spares and mechanic . Please get in touch with me.

Last edited by interc00led : 15th June 2018 at 18:12.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 07:00   #9099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Hi!
Get the car out from Honda and get it to a good garage. When my car started to heat with the ac on it was the ac fan motor which had gone kaput.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 16th June 2018 at 07:04.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 14:56   #9100
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Recently bought a pre-owned 2006 Honda Civic At.
A blown head gasket probably.
What logic made the conclusion that it's a blown Head-gasket? That's the main suspense here. Why did HASS directly open up the Head? Does a heating issue mean you directly open the engine head and replace gasket? I don't think so.

If one fan is not working, your Ac will malfunction but engine won't overheat. If both fans are kaput and engine starts to heat, the ecu will automatically cut off the Ac first thing. If that didn't happen, your "heating" was a wrong impression.

Either way, opening up the head first thing is a sure shot ripping-off maneuver by the HASS, I think.

What all other symptoms you noticed? Was there oil in the coolant?

Details are obscure at best here...
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 17:49   #9101
BHPian

Agreed with Pixantz. What is the reason to immediately open up the engine for over heating. What steps did HASS follow to eliminate the problems one by one. I exactly had the issue like Sumeet and repaired the driver side fan and things were back to normal.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 19:20   #9102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
What logic made the conclusion that it's a blown Head-gasket? That's the main suspense here. Why did HASS directly open up the Head? Does a heating issue mean you directly open the engine head and replace gasket? I don't think so.

If one fan is not working, your Ac will malfunction but engine won't overheat. If both fans are kaput and engine starts to heat, the ecu will automatically cut off the Ac first thing. If that didn't happen, your "heating" was a wrong impression.

Either way, opening up the head first thing is a sure shot ripping-off maneuver by the HASS, I think.

What all other symptoms you noticed? Was there oil in the coolant?

Details are obscure at best here...
The symptoms I noticed:
1) coolant wont go in the radiator, and gas/steam would come out of the filling hole.
2) engine overheats without the radiator fan kicking in
3) turning the ac on turns both fans on and cools the car down at stand still but if taken out for a drive, the car overheats in slow moving traffic. Slow moving traffic was an absolute horror with having to stop every five minutes.
4) check engine light comes and goes

Now HASS determined it to be a blown head gasket by literally telling me they had another Civic just a week ago with all the same symptoms, and the senior mechanic says it is the same problem. I was a little skeptical about this as the executive mentioned "same model car with same symptom" and I was like how can you be sure that it's the same problem? And all they did was coax me into agreeing to whatever they wanted to do.

All these are the points that come to my mind at the moment, if I am forgetting something or if you want to ask something more, please do so. Thank you so much for your response.

Last edited by Imran.Syed : 17th June 2018 at 19:21.
Old 17th June 2018, 19:52   #9103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The symptoms I noticed: 1) coolant wont go in the radiator, and gas/steam would come out of the filling hole.
That's a very clear sign of a blown head gasket.

Aluminium is a softer metal than iron and it will warp when heated beyond its limits. Therefore, if you own a car with an aluminium block and/or head, as most are nowadays, make sure you NEVER run low or out of coolant inside the radiator. The first sign will be low coolant levels in the expansion reservoir. Check for leaks on a regular basis especially as the car crosses 5 years of age. Rubber, plastic and even metal can deteriorate with time combined with the tough job or duty cycle of engine cooling.

Always keep your cooling system in tip top shape. Don't ignore this essential service otherwise you will wind up spending on completely avoidable repairs such as the one you are experiencing now.

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th June 2018 at 19:55.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 21:30   #9104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is where the regrets start.
I decided to get the radiator cleaned at a FNG. He cleaned the radiator and placed it back, and the coolant wont fill in and gas was escaping from the coolant filler hole.
Quote:
The symptoms I noticed:
1) coolant wont go in the radiator, and gas/steam would come out of the filling hole.
2) engine overheats without the radiator fan kicking in

How was the radiator cleaned? That most probably will point to how all this could have started in the first instance.

In most cases I see the ASS putting pressurized water into the radiator with the plug open. This is the biggest culprit and a poor practice. This probably would have done irreversible damage to the valve and it would have remained in stuck position, not allowing the coolant to flow freely, there by over heating and the rest of the issues that accompany.
Old 17th June 2018, 22:20   #9105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
How was the radiator cleaned? That most probably will point to how all this could have started in the first instance.
Come to think of it hope this FNG chap didn't flush the system when the engine was hot. Temperature inside the block and in the coolant passageways is way higher than on the outside where it loses heat through radiation into the air.

Cold water + hot engine = cracked block or head.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks