Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2018, 14:30   #9061
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Binand, check for condition of the Engine mounts (particularily the one next to Hydraulic Fuid reservoir).

This one is known for going Kaput prematurely.

There should be some space between its metallic end and rubber part (which acts as a cushion) else it would cause vibrations and "humming" noise specially when you put off your leg from the accelerator pedal.

Also, check for the second one which is next to the transmission (though this one is much more reliable and does not go kaput so early).
Broken engine mount also leads to jerks during cold start.

Please go through these posts for guidance on diagnosing and changing faulty Engine Mount.

Best wishes.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-dos-112.html
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 11:57   #9062
BHPian

About the Power Steering Pump issue, has anyone successfully solved it, without replacing the entire assembly? The impression I got from folks in this thread is that attempting to overhaul it did not fix the problem or made it worse.

I currently have a minor leak. I top up the PS fluid, about once a week and it runs ok; the steering is a bit tight, but not unusably so. No significant noise or vibration yet. I have almost finished one PS fluid bottle in about 6 months of this jugaad. I am worried that attempting to fix it might worsen it. My running is fairly low, about 5K km a year. I obviously want to avoid replacing the entire assembly, because it costs so much.

If someone knows of a competent mechanic who can fix this in (North) Bangalore, more props to you !
Old 26th April 2018, 13:19   #9063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
About the Power Steering Pump issue, has anyone successfully solved it, without replacing the entire assembly? The impression I got from folks in this thread is that attempting to overhaul it did not fix the problem or made it worse.
I changed the pump to a Chinese make one...as the original one had a major leak. This new one is holding good, but it's not as powerful as the original. I still have to top up the PS fluid once in a month, and I had diagnosed it to the rack having a minor leak.

My running is 3k kms a month but I've not had any trouble so far. I think it's better to manage the issue rather than try to go in for a complete overhaul or repair until the problem is too big for it to be passed off.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 12:28   #9064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I couldn't edit the previous post. Changing the spark plugs alleviated my 'shuddering while accelerating issue'. Changed them with NGK platinum alloy spark plugs.
I too had the same 'shuddering ' issue. A brief inspection showed the original Denso ignition coils had cracked. Plus the spark plugs too had gone bust.
Got NGK iridium plugs for Rs.3,600 for four and was unable to find Denso at HASS or outside, so settled for a brand called "Aissa" instead. Set of four cost Rs.6,400. She's back to sailing smooth now. Incidentally HASS neither had NGK in stock, had to go to NGK India website and track down my local distributor who ordered it within a week.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 07:03   #9065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I too had the same 'shuddering ' issue. A brief inspection showed the original Denso ignition coils had cracked. Plus the spark plugs too had gone bust.
Got NGK iridium plugs for Rs.3,600 for four and was unable to find Denso at HASS or outside, so settled for a brand called "Aissa" instead. Set of four cost Rs.6,400. She's back to sailing smooth now. Incidentally HASS neither had NGK in stock, had to go to NGK India website and track down my local distributor who ordered it within a week.
Yeah. I think I'll have to change the coils as well. The shuddering has returned. Coil change has been long overdue.
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:25   #9066
BHPian

Friends, any idea where to get a nice spoiler for the Civic in Chennai or probably get it from outside (Delhi) ? i do not want that big one, but a normal size (OE ??). Just to enhance the looks, that is all. This is my car in its current shape. Any suggestions, welcome

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_12411.jpg

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 00:29   #9067
Senior - BHPian

The original Denso coils lasted for 1,70,000 kms. I changed the coils to Mitsubishi - Rs 2200 per piece. Civic is back to being the star in my garage.

Also. 1,70,000 Kms completed. Planning a drive from Delhi to a hill station in Northern Himachal. 11 Years and counting. Civic still holding strong.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 10:25   #9068
BHPian

Quote:
The original Denso coils lasted for 1,70,000 kms. I changed the coils to Mitsubishi - Rs 2200 per piece. Civic is back to being the star in my garage.

Also. 1,70,000 Kms completed. Planning a drive from Delhi to a hill station in Northern Himachal. 11 Years and counting. Civic still holding strong.
Do you have any pictures of the box packing ? Part number ? Honda OEM(also made by denso) coil costs around 4500/-.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:04   #9069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Do you have any pictures of the box packing ? Part number ? Honda OEM(also made by denso) coil costs around 4500/-.
I'm afraid I got rid of the packing. Mitsubishi is now Honda OEM for coils. Earlier it was DENSO.

Ghai told me if I want the coil in Honda Packing, it's Rs 4400 and if I want it in the usual Mitsubishi one, it's Rs 2200. Local Chinese ones ( PWX) are available for Rs 1000.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:52   #9070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm afraid I got rid of the packing. Mitsubishi is now Honda OEM for coils. Earlier it was DENSO.

Ghai told me if I want the coil in Honda Packing, it's Rs 4400 and if I want it in the usual Mitsubishi one, it's Rs 2200. Local Chinese ones ( PWX) are available for Rs 1000.
One more reason not to send the car to HASS for parts. I had changed the coils last may for around ~4.3 a piece from Honda.
Old 10th May 2018, 13:30   #9071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
One more reason not to send the car to HASS for parts. I had changed the coils last may for around ~4.3 a piece from Honda.
Atleast they put in original ones. Southend Honda Badarpur put in platinum spark plugs - 200 bucks apiece whereas I paid them Rs 1000 for each of the iridium spark plugs they were supposed to install. I only got to know now - 1.5 years later.
Old 14th May 2018, 19:37   #9072
BHPian

Rodent Alert: As a regular practice to check under the car's hood every week for inspection, I was shocked to see that a rodent has inspected my car for seeking shelter this season.

Need your valuable advice on how to keep him away from biting any wires and thus drilling a huge hole in my pocket.

PS: Getting that nail type solution would not be feasible in my case as I out of my laziness could drive over it:banghead:.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1526306203610.jpg  

Old 14th May 2018, 20:58   #9073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Rodent Alert: As a regular practice to check under the car's hood every week for inspection, I was shocked to see that a rodent has inspected my car for seeking shelter this season.

Need your valuable advice on how to keep him away from biting any wires and thus drilling a huge hole in my pocket.

PS: Getting that nail type solution would not be feasible in my case as I out of my laziness could drive over it:banghead:.
See if below helps. Works for me.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4218651

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4049067
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 07:44   #9074
Senior - BHPian

I'm having an overheating issue. The temperature bar jumped to red yesterday. When I opened the bonnet, the coolant reservoir was hot and the coolant was overflowing.

After a check, I also found out that the radiator fan is not kicking in. The radiator fan is working only when the AC is on. The fuse is fine. We tried to do a direct connection and the fan still didn't switch on. It works when the AC is on though.

Now the car overheats very quickly and starts spewing coolant from the reservoir.

What could be wrong?
Old 18th May 2018, 08:48   #9075
Senior - BHPian

To add to the above, even if I unplug the water temperature sensor, the fan won't run. It'll just run when the AC is on. Despite both fans running, the car still overheats.

what could it be? dirt in the radiator? or the thermostat or the head gasket?

shouldn't the fan run when I unplug the water temperature sensor? I'm a bit flummoxed tbh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks