Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 18:53   #8851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The engine insulation cover on the under-hood was in bad shape. I think most Civics of this vintage have gotten the insulation tear off because of factors like water (during washing), rats bites, and general wear and tear.
Excellent work with the insulation. Posting the part number of the clips used, just in case someone finds it useful.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20171202wa0005.jpg

Quote:
rats bites
Rats have been extremely considerate in BHPian Saket77's case. No matter what damage they do, they always compensate in one way or the other.

When they damaged his hood insulation, the rodent made sure his corpse provides the lost insulation, and other parameters like power to weight ratio isn't changed.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20171119_095323.jpg

His Zen was also soundproofed by an overenthusiastic rat, who stuffed his quarter panel with wastes to provide the sound damping.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-rat-rags.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 19:12   #8852
BHPian

Quote:
...rats bites...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
...Rats...
in mine also two rats made the engine-insulation-material underneath the bonnet, their home! (that was three years back).

Luckily there were no other damage to wires, etc.
I caught them using an old fashioned rat-trap kept under the car and drowned them!

I removed the material, and since did not notice much increase in noise, left it as it is.
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 09:01   #8853
Senior - BHPian

Guys after a clutch and flywheel change the starter mount has a slight squealing sound which appears at the time just at the end of the start of the engine. Any ideas as to why it could occur ?
Old 6th December 2017, 09:02   #8854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys after a clutch and flywheel change the starter mount has a slight squealing sound which appears at the time just at the end of the start of the engine. Any ideas as to why it could occur ?
Also facing a issue where the steering is feeling a bit heavy after the clutch overhaul. I was told the PS fluid had to be drained and was refilled with the one I had lying in the car. I have checked for leaks and the oil level remains same and there is no classic pump whine. I may get the PS flushed from Honda later but other than that any pointers ?
Old 6th December 2017, 14:35   #8855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

The steering rack in my Civic has started leaking. The mechanic is quoting 3500 for the rack repair and 1500 labour and is offering a 3 months warranty for the job. I do not have very good experience when it comes to the rack repair. My mechanic is also not confident and says PS steering once leaked are never reliable if repaired and might develop the problem again. I wanted to check with you all how your experience has been with a rack repair job. The problem is hardly driven 200 KMs in a month now. So 3 months warranty might not make sense for me. What do you guys think I should do?
Hi,
I also had this problem of a small amount of steering fluid leak last year in december from the steering rack seals, and accumulate in the rubber boot there. This is more pronounced when the weather is cold, as the rubber seals harden.

I put in a fluid called Stop Leak, bought from Amazon. The leak stopped completely. Whether it was due to the weather becoming warm again, or stop leak working, i don't know.

Again, this year, when temperatures started dipping in NCR in november, i noticed a very small amount of fluid leak again. I have topped up the power steering fluid, and have kept a bottle in reserve. It seems to have stopped temporarily now.
If it starts again, i will put in another bottle of stop leak and see.

As long as the leakage is very small, it may work.

Rgds
Old 6th December 2017, 21:23   #8856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,

I also had this problem of a small amount of steering fluid leak last year in december from the steering rack seals, and accumulate in the rubber boot there. This is more pronounced when the weather is cold, as the rubber seals harden.

I put in a fluid called Stop Leak, bought from Amazon. The leak stopped completely. Whether it was due to the weather becoming warm again, or stop leak working, i don't know.

Again, this year, when temperatures started dipping in NCR in november, i noticed a very small amount of fluid leak again. I have topped up the power steering fluid, and have kept a bottle in reserve. It seems to have stopped temporarily now.

If it starts again, i will put in another bottle of stop leak and see.

As long as the leakage is very small, it may work.

Rgds

Hi VineetG,

That gives me some relief. I am not sure about the amount of leak in my case. My car was parked for over two weeks, and then when I took the car out and drove for few kms I saw the car was dripping oil. And it did not look like a small leak. I topped up the PS fluid, and have been driving almost regularly and have not seen the leak in last few days. I already had a leak in the seals of the PS Pump. Was thinking about driving like this only since now I hardly drive 500 kms a month. Will try this stop leak thing. Could you post a pic or the link that you got, there are too many available on amazon.
Old 10th December 2017, 12:07   #8857
BHPian

Bhpians,

Does the AC Compressor or Condensor (I'm not sure what) cut on and off very frequently (like once in 10-15 seconds) in the Civic?
Old 10th December 2017, 12:09   #8858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Bhpians,

Does the AC Compressor/Condensor (I'm not sure what) cuts on and off very frequently (like once in 10-15 seconds) in the Civic?
The system decides when to cut off and on, depending on the temperature you've set. It's not necessarily every 10-15 seconds.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 12:17   #8859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The system decides when to cut off and on, depending on the temperature you've set. It's not necessarily every 10-15 seconds.
I usually set the Climate control to 24 degree C. At this setting, the Aircon Compressor or Condenser cuts on and off like once in 10-15 secs and is very noticeable in the cabin. I haven't experienced this in other cars.
Old 11th December 2017, 00:05   #8860
BHPian

Quote:
I usually set the Climate control to 24 degree C. At this setting, the Aircon Compressor or Condenser cuts on and off like once in 10-15 secs and is very noticeable in the cabin. I haven't experienced this in other cars.
The logic set in auto HVAC unit is such that it takes input from set temperature, cabin temperature (near AC unit) and Outside temperature (using solar sensor).

Yes, in my case too when I set the temperature to around 25-26 degrees and outside temperature is around 30 degrees, the condenser fan cuts in around 15-20 seconds and that is audible.

You can try reducing the auto AC temperature to "MIN" to check everything is OK or not.

It should practically not cut off that soon if the outside temperature is above 25 degrees or so.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 14:18   #8861
BHPian

Merging back to back posts. Please use “multi quote” option

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Could you post a pic or the link that you got, there are too many available on amazon.
https://www.amazon.in/NO-LEAK-20301-...ring+stop+leak

This is the one. But last year i bought it for around 700 bucks. Don't know why its so costly now.

The reason you may have seen the sudden dripping of oil may be because of the oil slowly accumulating in the steering boot over the 2 weeks it was parked. Keep monitoring the PS fluid level. Sometimes, the leaks stop by themselves, if small.

Rgds

Hi,
Over the last couple of years, the FE of my Civic has been going down. In summers, it reduced from 10kmpl to 8 or 8.5, and in winters from 11 to 9 kmpl.

It's an A/T. I do 50 kms every weekday for my office commute.

- Done close to 1,30,000 kms over 8.5 years
- No distinct change in traffic or driving patterns
- Car is immaculately maintained as per schedule. 0w20 synthetic oil, air filter cleaned/replaced regularly. Same with Fuel Filter, A/T fluid.
- No issues like engine noise, jerkiness etc. to indicate something is wrong. Butter smooth drive.
- Spark plugs replaced as per schedule.
- Tried injector cleaning, TB cleaning, MAF clean etc. few times, no result
- Fuel from same bunk 90% of time over the last 8.5 years. BP COCO outlet Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
- No bearing noises, always correct tyre pressure, tyres always replaced within reasonable time. Car came with Michelin XM2, next set was Michelin Primacy LC, now running Michelin Primacy 3ST

What could be the reason? Suggestions/solutions appreciated.

Rgds

Vineet

Quote:
The engine insulation cover on the under-hood was in bad shape. I think most Civics of this vintage have gotten the insulation tear off because of factors like water (during washing), rats bites, and general wear and tear. I am saying this by comparing my cousin's Civic whose insulation is in shambles too.
Hi,
Any perceptible change in NVH after this DIY? Also, in rains, would the insulation not get wet and mouldy?

I may try this with a yoga mat, if you have experience some improvement in NVH.

rgds

Last edited by noopster : 11th December 2017 at 16:33. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use multi quote option instead
Old 11th December 2017, 16:24   #8862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,
Any perceptible change in NVH after this DIY? Also, in rains, would the insulation not get wet and mouldy?

I may try this with a yoga mat, if you have experience some improvement in NVH.

rgds
Honestly not noticeable. Actually the old one was only torn and disfigured. It was still doing its basic duty as it was very much there where it belonged.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:57   #8863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the auto AC in play. It shouldn't be an issue if the cooling isn't affected. Maybe you could try increasing the music volume
Old 12th December 2017, 14:41   #8864
Senior - BHPian

My Civics steering is feeling heavier while turning right. As of now Honda is saying rack may need a overhaul. What are alternatives? Third time rack may be overhauled. Aliexpress only has left hand drive racks it seem. Will a refurbshed new one last longer ? The rack part is a source of pain for me.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:29   #8865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My Civics steering is feeling heavier while turning right. As of now Honda is saying rack may need a overhaul. What are alternatives? Third time rack may be overhauled. Aliexpress only has left hand drive racks it seem. Will a refurbshed new one last longer ? The rack part is a source of pain for me.
Try for a refurbished new one. Their are suppliers who also buy marginally defective spares - the ones that failed the stringent quality testing but are really good quality spares nonetheless. You could get a good deal.

I had replaced both the front struts 1.5 years back. The right one went kaput last week, in just 1.5 years. There was absolutely no play left. I contacted my usual FNG and he was able to source just the right strut...original Munjal make for Rs 1300. Ride is back to being noise free. Today, the left one also started squeaking. Will get that replaced as well.

Most Viewed