Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:48   #8701
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
About to get my workhorse. The 2010 civic V-A/T Cng'd.
Somehow I find the idea of putting CNG on a Civic or for that matter any Honda an anachronism. Get arguably the best mill in the market and then emancipate it. Also, I may add that Honda engines are some of the most economical.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 17:33   #8702
Senior - BHPian

https://*******************/IdzzxfFHPK00p1B4jN3QWh

The WhatsApp group is back. Add yourselves.
Old 22nd September 2017, 20:42   #8703
BHPian

The left ORVM Motor in my Civic 2007 S AT has gone kaput. Request fellow Hyderabad Civic Owners for links to any repairer in Hyderabad who can fix the faulty motor.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd September 2017, 16:42   #8704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Somehow I find the idea of putting CNG on a Civic or for that matter any Honda an anachronism. Get arguably the best mill in the market and then emancipate it. Also, I may add that Honda engines are some of the most economical.
Thank you! I wholeheartedly agree. I've seen quite a few posts about folks converting their Civic to CNG and the only question that pops up in my head is Why??
I'd rather pay a higher fuel bill every month than kill the fun. The Civic is still giving me a mileage of 11 in the city which I think is phenomenal.

@All

I got my car serviced from my trust FNG for the first time.

Damages: Idemitsu oil - Rs 1600, Oil filter and Air filter - Rs 500. Service cost: Rs 300. Total: Rs 2400.

She still drives like new. 154000 kms and counting
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 17:59   #8705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I'd rather pay a higher fuel bill every month than kill the fun. The Civic is still giving me a mileage of 11 in the city which I think is phenomenal.
Couldn't agree more. A car on CNG, especially one with a lovely Jap petrol engine, is a pain to drive. Kills the joy of driving. BTW congrats on that FNG service. Where did you get the filters from?
Old 23rd September 2017, 18:03   #8706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
BTW congrats on that FNG service. Where did you get the filters from?
Thanks. I got the filter from Ghai Spares, Malviya Nagar. Extremely reliable spare parts. Been a customer for more than a decade now.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 18:39   #8707
Senior - BHPian

Daily drive cars are a different story. Am sure most of us Cng'd civics run them as daily drive cars.
The automatic honda's are not really fuel efficient. Put a civic in mumbai add lots of traffic, with a lot of start stops and what do you get? BAD MILEAGE!
The fun in driving your car goes right out of the window. To add to that one full tank will not even get you through a week of travel. Which amounts to an average of less than 7 kmpl in the city. Trust me the civic A/t does not like traffic and drinks like a thirsty dog in traffic.
Whats the solution?
CNG.
At first i was hesitant to install the kit on my car with all the added weight and let down in performance. But after installation my views have completely changed.
You dont really realise that weight unless its a fully loaded 5pax car.
The drop in performance? Marginal. Not something you would realise in everyday traffic.
Yes the big downside is you loose a lot of boot space. But hey treat is as your GTR with limited luggage space. lol.
At 300 bucks a tank of 120km run is awesome.
Who can give you that in todays world.
And if you do time your runs to perfection there wont be any waiting also at your local CNG station.
Cost Negligent Grandeur - CNG for your civic.
danlalan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 15:10   #8708
BHPian

Hi All,
I would like to share my experience, which may be applicable to other cars, and not only civic in particular. I don't know if there is any similar post on this forum.

I had done an oil change from my local fng (Idemitsu 5W30).

One morning, during hard braking, or cornering, the engine oil warning flashed intermittently. I realized that there would be some leakage and also saw oil on the ground when i reached my office parking.

I took the car to a nearby mechanic, who replaced the filter as the oil was leaking from it, and refilled the oil (Only BPCL OW20 ) was available.

I thought it might need a litre or so of oil for topping. To my horror, the oil was almost finished, even though the check engine light was not lighting continuously.

It took 4 litres to refill the oil. I guess hardly 250 ml oil was left in the engine. Basically, it was running almost dry.

The lesson here is that if the engine oil warning lights up even once intermittently, get the oil checked/refilled ASAP. Not to be taken lightly.

I believe if the engine oil warning lights up continuously, then its already too late.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 16:05   #8709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
if the engine oil warning lights up even once intermittently, get the oil checked/refilled ASAP.

Rgds
Not exactly. If the warning light comes up, even intermittently, SWITCH OFF YOUR ENGINE AT ONCE. Not ASAP, AT ONCE!

If you're driving, pull over as fast as you can(in a safe way without endangering other road users of course) and turn your car off. Next, try to get a visual on how bad is the leak and check oil level. Remember, your oil could spew out much more faster when the engine is/was on depending on the location of the leak. A mechanic would be able to guage if the vehicle can be driven for a short distance till a garage or then other options.

You are lucky you didn't get your engine seized. Continuing on your journey with an Oil indicator flag was not very cool as an attitude towards your engine, I must say. An oil light flashing is like an Traffic Constable flagging you down. You can continue at your risk. Only, the Oil light scenario is a much more costly affair and potentially lethal for your car engine apart from the bigger monetary loss along with time and energy.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 21:52   #8710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had done an oil change from my local fng (Idemitsu 5W30).

It took 4 litres to refill the oil. I guess hardly 250 ml oil was left in the engine. Basically, it was running almost dry.

The lesson here is that if the engine oil warning lights up even once intermittently, get the oil checked/refilled ASAP. Not to be taken lightly
Consider yourself, very, very lucky to have escaped a seized engine by what I would say is by the skin of your nose.

I think you need to have a word with the FNG. Whoever they are those people are morons. Either they didn't correctly torque your new oil filter or the the filter itself was faulty. If it was faulty you should stop buying that filter. It can't be OEM because in my decades of driving never has an OEM filter failed or leaked when installed correctly.

The FIRST thing that any good tech/mechanic worth his salt does after replacing an oil filter and drain plug is to start the engine, run it for about 5 minutes to check for leaks. The bloody fool's incompetence and/or negligence nearly cost you your engine!

If you see the oil pressure light flicker it denotes momentary and possibly temporary loss of pressure and if it glows continuously it means a consistent low pressure situation that is insufficient to lube the engine's moving parts.

Either way, pull over safely to the side/shoulder and switch off the engine immediately. The longer the engine remains switched on the higher the risks of seizure. Check the oil level and replenish if required. Also check for oil leaks whilst you're at it.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 15:00   #8711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Consider yourself, very, very lucky to have escaped a seized engine by what I would say is by the skin of your nose.

I think you need to have a word with the FNG. Whoever they are those people are morons. Either they didn't correctly torque your new oil filter or the the filter itself was faulty. If it was faulty you should stop buying that filter. It can't be OEM because in my decades of driving never has an OEM filter failed or leaked when installed correctly.

The FIRST thing that any good tech/mechanic worth his salt does after replacing an oil filter and drain plug is to start the engine, run it for about 5 minutes to check for leaks. The bloody fool's incompetence and/or negligence nearly cost you your engine!

If you see the oil pressure light flicker it denotes momentary and possibly temporary loss of pressure and if it glows continuously it means a consistent low pressure situation that is insufficient to lube the engine's moving parts.

Either way, pull over safely to the side/shoulder and switch off the engine immediately. The longer the engine remains switched on the higher the risks of seizure. Check the oil level and replenish if required. Also check for oil leaks whilst you're at it.

Hi,
The FNG i use is actually is very good and competent guy. I don't know why this happened this time. This happened 2-3 weeks after the oil change.

The other guy to whom i took the car to for emergency repair, said that it was a filter problem, not the tightening of the filter or the drain plug. That the filter was defective. But difficult to pin point the reason for this

Whatever the case, will need to be extra careful now when it comes to oil change.

But what surprises me is how late the low oil warning lights up. I mean, shouldn't it light up if the sump still has say 50% oil left? Or 25%.

Here, the oil was close to zero, and the oil light was still intermittent.
And the Honda iVtecs are not known for consuming oil.
Honda, or other car manufacturers need to have a more robust warning system for this, considering that it is so critical and can cause massive damage.

But lesson learned.
- Check filter etc after oil change
- Inspect for leakage after oil change for a few days
- If oil warning light even flickers, pull over and stop engine immediately.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 15:15   #8712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Not exactly. If the warning light comes up, even intermittently, SWITCH OFF YOUR ENGINE AT ONCE. Not ASAP, AT ONCE!

Continuing on your journey with an Oil indicator flag was not very cool as an attitude towards your engine, I must say. An oil light flashing is like an Traffic Constable flagging you down. You can continue at your risk. Only, the Oil light scenario is a much more costly affair and potentially lethal for your car engine apart from the bigger monetary loss along with time and energy.
I agree. However, the point i would like to make is that even a auto enthusiast like me does not know the gravity of an intermittently flashing warning.

As mentioned in my other reply, i think auto makers should have a system that warns you much earlier, as this is such a critical issue. Also, many times while driving, especially in bright daylight, people may tend to miss out an occasionally flashing light.

It should be an early and more of "in your face" warning.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:21   #8713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The other guy to whom i took the car to for emergency repair, said that it was a filter problem, not the tightening of the filter or the drain plug. That the filter was defective. But difficult to pin point the reason for this
Was the filter an OEM make or an aftermarket brand?

Regardless of the make, since your FNG installed the filter you must complain about this near disaster to him. Maybe this feedback should go back to the manufacturer.

Quote:
But what surprises me is how late the low oil warning lights up. I mean, shouldn't it light up if the sump still has say 50% oil left? Or 25%.
The oil warning light lights up when oil pressure is low. It does not monitor oil level in the sump.

However, if by chance the quantity of oil level falls as a result of which there's a drop in pressure then the warning light comes on.

Quote:
But lesson learned.
- Check filter etc after oil change
- Inspect for leakage after oil change for a few days
- If oil warning light even flickers, pull over and stop engine immediately.
I think post the engine oil change and monitoring for leakages, you should have the habit of checking oil levels at least once a fortnight, just in case. This is especially important if your car sees extended running on a daily basis.

Quote:
As mentioned in my other reply, i think auto makers should have a system that warns you much earlier, as this is such a critical issue. Also, many times while driving, especially in bright daylight, people may tend to miss out an occasionally flashing light.

Modern cars, mostly mid to high end EU marques also monitor oil levels AND oil quality. But then these features are not available in older vehicles.

Also, my car, an Altis, has a buzzer that sounds should any of the warning lights go on. Surprised to know Honda hasn't implemented audible warnings in the Civic.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 18:54   #8714
BHPian

Quote:

Rgds
I agree. So should it be for the coolant as well. In your face.

It amazes me that automakers who do so much of research into making of a car and have advanced leaps and bounds in the tech used in the ideology, approach and sophistication in making a car, still use such primitive means of driver warning aids or telltale systems that were used decades ago. I mean, analogue meters? Seriously? Who looks at them these days?

As far as I know, meters were in vogue back in the day when motorists knew that their car could overheat anytime or blow an oil gasket or radiator or some such thing, so much for the then reliability levels, so everyone had one eyeball always glued to the meters especially on long runs. Well, things are much more sorted these days so nobody is glued to the meters anymore. So I think the warning systems should grow up accordingly in tandem with the other advancements too.

The funnier thing about it is, the mechanical cables and/or wires etc which were used to drive the meters
have long back been replaced by sensors, wires and ecu's and other stuff, but at the end of it you still get to see a - Meter. With a needle. :banghead: . Some smart guys have gone ahead and have an LCD display for a dash console. Very nice. But what does it show you? You guessed it. Why are they so obsessed with the needle?!?

The thing is, this scenario has nothing to do with what class of car you're talking about or how costly it is. Because I have seen that some of the cheapest of cars like the Tata Nano, for instance, has an audio warning when engine heats up, along with a red temp. light. Funny.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 20:26   #8715
Senior - BHPian

@VineetG; I will expect 25% to be about right for the light to come on. Let us see what the Gurus feel. Remember it is to prevent a catastrophe and not for warning.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks