Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 16:36   #8281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
So Laluks sir it seems you get the car serviced from FNG rather than HASS. Which engine oil do you use? Also do you get the throttle body cleaned periodically from the FNG? If you do then do you need to get the idle rpm adjusted via HDS scan from Honda?
These days yes, fully at FNG. One for regular work like oil fills, greasing, etc., and another one for high end work like clutch replacements etc

Engine oil I am with HP5W30 mineral with a higher replacement interval like 7 to 7.5K kms

I am getting a different noise while car is idling. If I depress the clutch fully it disappears. I was thinking the gear oil needs to be changed, its done now, but noise is not gone.

It increases with rpm, but not there when the clutch is fully pressed.

Vehicle is not yet in motion so the moving parts are engine, gearbox, and all the other attachments like compressor, alternator and starter motor.

The noise is coming mainly from the left side, and only when clutch is not pressed. I am suspecting something related to clutch/gearbox area.

Need to study it. Any experiences like this anyone?

Other than this car still can reach its max potential without a sweat, engine is silent too with that pleasing note while redlining.
Old 5th May 2017, 16:57   #8282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I've been topping up with the above-mentioned Castrol fluid and I've had no issues whatsoever. Where can you source the Honda one?

@All

I've just been wondering on whether I should replace the serpentine belt. That one powers the AC,alternator, PS. It's been close to 1.5 lakh kms and I've not replaced it yet. HASS and my FNG have checked it and they say it's good to go. It's not worn out or damaged. So it's probably just psychological. I just don't want to be stranded suddenly. just a curious question. Can we still drive with a damaged belt?
My belt was also in great condition. No cracks, glazing etc. They say if there are more than 3 cracks per inch, then belt should be replaced.

However, for peace of mind, i replaced it. Got a BANDO from USA. This brand is OEM for Honda and many others
Old 6th May 2017, 13:03   #8283
BHPian

Quote:
I think you'll just have to get used to a hydraulic PS system

Actually this has been my first long term tryst with a EPS car. I drive down to my native place in Kerala twice a year. And it has always been either with the Getz and the Grande Punto earlier, and for the past couple of years the Civic. I shall stick to the white maiden next time around

Another quick question, I have a scangauge II hooked up to the OBD port of the civic. The last time it went in for the radiator replacement, they'd taken it off and stashed it in the glove box.

Me : Isko kyun nikala ?

Learned Mechanic : Sir ji, iski wajah se ek sensor garam ho ke chipak raha hai !

Me : Sensor kis se chipkega , woh toh sirf sense karega ?
Learned Mechanic : Nahi Honda ki technology bahut alag hoti hai

Me : Radiator replace karke aapne Honda ka scanner lagaya tha ?

Learned Mechanic : Hum har gaadi mein lagate hain !!

Me : Mute mode on !

Don't know for what reason they took it off , and if they were just plain lazy to plug it back in. Has anyone else here used the scangauge or any other OBD device on your rides ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th May 2017 at 13:16. Reason: Please stick to two smilies per post. Thanks.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 13:26   #8284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
My belt was also in great condition. No cracks, glazing etc. They say if there are more than 3 cracks per inch, then belt should be replaced.

However, for peace of mind, i replaced it. Got a BANDO from USA. This brand is OEM for Honda and many others
The belt on mine is in good condition. No cracks etc. I wasn't satisfied with the quality of the replacement that was on offer over counter so I'm sticking to this for now. Looks pretty solid but since it's been a decade, does come up when I'm preparing a checklist before every weekend trip.
Old 6th May 2017, 15:44   #8285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Don't know for what reason they took it off , and if they were just plain lazy to plug it back in. Has anyone else here used the scangauge or any other OBD device on your rides ?
They must have removed it to connect their own scanning device. I also have Autool X50 permanently plugged in my civic
Old 8th May 2017, 06:54   #8286
Senior - BHPian

There's a low creaking sound every now and then that comes when I'm driving. It's not the suspension, it's not triggered while going over potholes or bad roads. The sound is evident when I'm accelerating. could there be something loose?
Old 8th May 2017, 16:46   #8287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There's a low creaking sound every now and then that comes when I'm driving. It's not the suspension, it's not triggered while going over potholes or bad roads. The sound is evident when I'm accelerating. could there be something loose?
I'd check the engine mounts and adjust/replace as required. If the sound is internal I'd check the dashboard. Generally chassis flex causes these sounds.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th May 2017 at 16:49. Reason: Typo
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 17:02   #8288
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from Whitefield Honda that my car needs an airbag replacement.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9512280.ece

Then the caller said that my car already has the replacement, while it was serviced in March 2016 (note that the recall was issued in Jan 2017).

Mine's a 2007 model, but the recall is for 2012+ cars.

What is going on?

Edit: It seems the recall was issued in July last year (http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...le14488694.ece) and covers cars manufactured from 2003 onwards. So my car would qualify. But how could they replace it in March?

Last edited by binand : 8th May 2017 at 17:04.
Old 8th May 2017, 17:57   #8289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What is going on? It seems the recall was issued in July last year So my car would qualify. But how could they replace it in March?
Better you call the dealer (or even the Honda helpline) and set this to rest. The caller may have mixed up the facts.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 21:12   #8290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Just got a call from Whitefield Honda that my car needs an airbag replacement.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9512280.ece

Then the caller said that my car already has the replacement, while it was serviced in March 2016 (note that the recall was issued in Jan 2017).

Mine's a 2007 model, but the recall is for 2012+ cars.

What is going on?

Edit: It seems the recall was issued in July last year (http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...le14488694.ece) and covers cars manufactured from 2003 onwards. So my car would qualify. But how could they replace it in March?
https://m.hondacarindia.com/forms/customerinfo.aspx

@binand Just enter you car's chassis number on the above Honda portal post which it will display whether the airbag module needs replacement or not.

If already replaced FOC by HASS, then it will inform you that it has already been done and hence not required anymore.
Regards.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 22:25   #8291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Just enter you car's chassis number on the above Honda portal post which it will display whether the airbag module needs replacement or not.
Thanks for this. It said my VIN is not due for any recall. I think Whitefield folks made a mistake. I'll speak to them tomorrow to confirm though.

I have a Chennai trip coming up this Saturday, so was a bit worried. Wouldn't want to drive while a recall is pending for a critical safety component like the airbags.
Old 9th May 2017, 07:58   #8292
Senior - BHPian

To all those who have close to 10+ year old Civics still in their stable, I have a question. What do you think about the reliability of your machine? Is it still your go to car for a family road trip? Or is it just not worth the risk?

Every time I have an impending trip, I ask myself this question. The checklists have become more elaborate, I take a lot of time out to check so many things that I never bothered to check up a few years back, have started keeping a few lubes for topping up and so on.
It's never failed me on the road till date and I hope that continues, but driving 1000+ kms in the hills etc does make me conscious enough to check things over and over again.

What are your thoughts?
Old 9th May 2017, 10:48   #8293
BHPian

Quote:
To all those who have close to 10+ year old Civics still in their stable, I have a question. What do you think about the reliability of your machine? Is it still your go to car for a family road trip? Or is it just not worth the risk?

Every time I have an impending trip, I ask myself this question. The checklists have become more elaborate, I take a lot of time out to check so many things that I never bothered to check up a few years back, have started keeping a few lubes for topping up and so on.
It's never failed me on the road till date and I hope that continues, but driving 1000+ kms in the hills etc does make me conscious enough to check things over and over again.

What are your thoughts?
My car is also 10+ years old with 1.37 lakh KM on odo. Last year I was having same dilemma about reliability of of civic, reason was multiple aging issues cropped up at same time (PS leak, suspension overhaul, CV clicking, engine oil seal leaks, CMC breakdown etc.). Since I did not want to get all of this work at HASS (due to high cost issue), it took me 4-5 months to get all the issues sorted out, most of the spares were procured by me and installed in FNG in my presence. At one point I started myself questions is this really worth? what if this repair and maintenance saga continues forever.

But after sorting out all issues, since last 1 year I have regained confidence in the car, car feels strong enough for at least next 3-4 years. But yes I keep regular watch on all components like oil leaks, suspension, CV boots, and more. Car never broke down during the whole ownership period. My plan is to own this car for at least 5 years more.

Few lessons learned:
- Regular inspection of car overall health gives confidence in the car, and also makes you mentally prepared for potential upcoming repair/maintenance (no surprises)
- It's not wise to have ALL aftermarket parts, few parts are better installed at HASS (e.g. CMC, engine oil seals). My general rule is more the mission critical component is, better get it replaced at HASS. E.g. wipers/suspension components like struts will not fail abruptly in a moment, or they will not keep you stranded on road without warning, so I prefer to have them aftermarket, but parts like CMC, which can fail any moment without warning and keep you stranded anywhere/anytime. For such parts I always depend on HASS

Last edited by techcoze : 9th May 2017 at 10:55.
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 11:31   #8294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
My car is also 10+ years old with 1.37 lakh KM on odo. Last year I was having same dilemma about reliability of of civic,
=====
so I prefer to have them aftermarket, but parts like CMC, which can fail any moment without warning and keep you stranded anywhere/anytime. For such parts I always depend on HASS
I think as long as you go in for good quality parts and don't skimp, you're good to go. I got a CMC fitted from my FNG in 2013 and I've had no issues for 4 years now. The clutch was replaced with a genuine Daikin Exedy set, break pads are Nissin. I've got an aftermarket mount that I got for 1900 and which lasted 51k kms. I had to get a new PS pump as the old one went kaput. I only rely on Ghai Spares to source my requirements and I've had no complaints till date.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th May 2017 at 17:44. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Old 9th May 2017, 11:36   #8295
BHPian

Quote:
I think as long as you go in for good quality parts and don't skimp, you're good to go. I got a CMC fitted from my FNG in 2013 and I've had no issues for 4 years now. The clutch was replaced with a genuine Daikin Exedy set, break pads are Nissin. I've got an aftermarket mount that I got for 1900 and which lasted 51k kms. I had to get a new PS pump as the old one went kaput. I only rely on Ghai Spares to source my requirements and I've had no complaints till date.
You are lucky to have access to top spare parts shops in Delhi, here in Pune we have scarcity of good spare part vendors

Most Viewed