Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 09:57   #751
Senior - BHPian

Then that must be the only port at the back which was not connected to any cable. You can see that white port in the 4th and 5th pictures of post 736.

Immortalz can you confirm
Old 7th June 2010, 10:33   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The HU plays MP3/WMA. The AUX IN can be retrofitted on if you get one without it. The HU is the same. The only thing it lacks is the actual cable from the HU and the little flippy cover thing which has the connector on the dash.
If thats the case then I'm overjoyed. I don't think it will be too difficult to source the necessary cable.

Thanks fellas, this thread is a treasure trove of information of all things Civic. I hope I get my car soon and able to contribute here.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:43   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The HU plays MP3/WMA. The AUX IN can be retrofitted on if you get one without it. The HU is the same. The only thing it lacks is the actual cable from the HU and the little flippy cover thing which has the connector on the dash.
I have a 2006 1.8s with 6-Disks HU and so far I have not got this cable.

I have heard more than once that you will get the aux cable here and there but did not get it actually. If someone has a concrete information from where to get it in Delhi, I can go and get it today itself even if it is 50 kms from my place.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:57   #754
Senior - BHPian

It is not a simple plug and play. You need to pin four fires into the socket that connects to the HU. Let me see if I can dig up the wiring diagram.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:42   #755
Senior - BHPian

Folks, you may now see me regularly here, since I took delivery of my Civic V AT (thread on Alabaster Silver Civic V AT) on 1st of the month, the day the BS4 variant was launched. I have gone through all the 51 pages of this thread in some detail. A few observations:

1. The oil in the sump looks like a 0W- or at most a 5W- type. It is too thin to be even 10W-. So must be a synth, and so I will stick with synth. No fun in going back to a mineral/semi-synth for a short while. However, will try and get my own Shell or Mobil1 or Petronas or Castrol Synthetic. As mentioned earlier the manual allows API-SL, which means a good mineral! I hear that with a synth oil + filter can be changed once a year /10,000km.

2. The brake/clutch fluid should be DOT3 or DOT4 and not DOT5 as per the manual. I think this was a topic of discussion some time back.

I really cannot understand as to why Honda is not providing HID for the low beam! Some models have it, only I find there the lamps are self levelling.

In the first service they have to install the 5th alloy as well as illuminated running boards, which are on back order and paid for. I am told that takes only half an hour.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:09   #756
Senior - BHPian

I have taken the plunge and have bought that 2006 Civic. Finally negotiated to 7.1L.

The best part is the car has a clean service history, no accident damage. The car is serviced at Solitaire Honda and I was able to see its full service history when I got the car checked with them.

The car's recently undergone a 20k service (6th May) and it been barely driven for 400 kms since then, also its been filled with Honda synthetic oil.

Will be getting the car home on Sunday, can't wait till then.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

Cheers
Old 9th June 2010, 11:24   #757
Senior - BHPian

Hiren. welcome to the family. I look forward to exchanging notes with you.

One thing which I have found a pain in both the City and Civic is poor rear visibility (esp. if like me you look through the rear windscreen) when reversing. Reversing sensors are the way out, and they have now been made standard in the V series.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:37   #758
BHPian

Am planing to take the car for the 6 month service. Wanted to know whether anybody here has done castor adjustment at the service center. My caster angle seems to be low (5°54'), while recommended reading is 7° +/-1°. I feel that this is contributing to my issue of steering not self-centering by itself (had mentioned in a previous post in this thread). Need info on how long they take to fix it and cost.

BTW, upgraded tyres to Conti PremiumContact 2 205-65/R15. New tyres feels better than the stock NCTs. Detailed review coming shortly.

Last edited by civic-sense : 9th June 2010 at 11:39.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:50   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hiren. welcome to the family. I look forward to exchanging notes with you.

One thing which I have found a pain in both the City and Civic is poor rear visibility (esp. if like me you look through the rear windscreen) when reversing. Reversing sensors are the way out, and they have now been made standard in the V series.
Thanks sgiitik, I agree on visibility part. My previous car is an Esteem, so I will need to get acclimatised to the size of the civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Am planing to take the car for the 6 month service. Wanted to know whether anybody here has done castor adjustment at the service center. My caster angle seems to be low (5°54'), while recommended reading is 7° +/-1°. I feel that this is contributing to my issue of steering not self-centering by itself (had mentioned in a previous post in this thread). Need info on how long they take to fix it and cost.

BTW, upgraded tyres to Conti PremiumContact 2 205-65/R15. New tyres feels better than the stock NCTs. Detailed review coming shortly.
Congratulations! I have heard good things about these tires. How much did they cost you? Also will the speedo reading now be off with the tire upgrade?
Old 9th June 2010, 13:19   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

Congratulations! I have heard good things about these tires. How much did they cost you? Also will the speedo reading now be off with the tire upgrade?
I got a good deal via our resident tyre guru, Nikhil.

There will be a 2% speedo error, but actually, it is a good development. All cars come with a positive speedo error. Check this link: Honda Civic 1.8V MT Road Test - Cost, Overall evaluation - CarWale.com
There is about 4-5% positive error. The bigger tyre would reduce it by 2%. So now the speedo and odo reading would be more accurate. I am yet to compare it with the speed shown in the GPS.

I hope I have got my funda and maths right. Gurus can correct me.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:52   #761
BHPian

I have a question related to AC which was discussed couple of pages earlier..
If the engine is switched off, and the Auto AC is switched on what is it that makes the noise? The AC does not cool for sure so what all the noise for?
Old 9th June 2010, 14:24   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I have a question related to AC which was discussed couple of pages earlier..
If the engine is switched off, and the Auto AC is switched on what is it that makes the noise? The AC does not cool for sure so what all the noise for?
The fans in the engine compartment switching on!
Old 9th June 2010, 20:00   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, you may now see me regularly here, since I took delivery of my Civic V AT (thread on Alabaster Silver Civic V AT) on 1st of the month, the day the BS4 variant was launched.

In the first service they have to install the 5th alloy as well as illuminated running boards, which are on back order and paid for. I am told that takes only half an hour.
Congrats on your buy and welcome to the Civic club. I am interested in knowing how much you paid for the 5th alloy wheel. Also, did the dealer offer any discount on it if you traded it for the regular spare wheel?
Old 9th June 2010, 23:00   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am interested in knowing how much you paid for the 5th alloy wheel.
Zero. I was surprised at the alacrity with which he agreed for the fifth alloy foc. Almost looks like, give it if someone asks! The manual talks of space savers, hence they must have dropped #5

Last edited by sgiitk : 9th June 2010 at 23:02.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:04   #765
BHPian

Quote:
The fans in the engine compartment switching on!
Is that requried in Auto ACs or is it Civic specific? In my pervious car (Alto, manual AC), if the engine was off, only blowers used to work without any sound of engine fans.

Most Viewed