Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 23:23   #7606
BHPian

I'm looking to buy a civic used . Any tips on what I should be loking out for ? Automatic would work for me. Since this is to be used for highway use only. Probably 3000 kms a year. Have a diesel hatch otherwise
Old 7th July 2016, 17:22   #7607
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankito View Post
I'm looking to buy a civic used . Any tips on what I should be loking out for ? Automatic would work for me. Since this is to be used for highway use only. Probably 3000 kms a year. Have a diesel hatch otherwise
Would it be like one or two long trips? The usage seems too low to make sense buying a used Civic, or any other car for that matter.

The cost of purchase, cost of refurbishment in case any parts go kaput and then the cost of maintenance would be too high compared to the estimated running.
Old 7th July 2016, 17:31   #7608
BHPian

True currently doing my weekend once in a blue moon jaunts with zoom car
Old 7th July 2016, 20:38   #7609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How much did the harness cost you. I am facing a similar issue..
It costed around 17k inc labor, done via Honda service center. Check in an independent garage if a re-joiing would suffice rather than spending the hefty 17k. I was in a hurry and did not enquire further.
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 20:51   #7610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Thanks SG sir. The highway figures look promising, though in our case 90% of driving would be restricted within city..
The Civic AT has much taller gearing than the MT. I saw one US EPA figure rating it 1MPG superior to the MT on the highway. The gearing is just above 50kph per 1000 rpm in 5th.
Old 7th July 2016, 23:48   #7611
Distinguished - BHPian

The only HASS in town has decided to close on all Sundays and holidays. Had to return twice empty handed from the service centre as my Civic needed wiper blade replacement. Visiting Bosch did not help either. Finally got a pair of 'Premium' make wiper blades for Rs. 1100 a pair. Although they were a direct fit, save for the OE plastic clips on the blades which changed the OE look of the arm. Hence decided to pull out the rubber insert and put them on the OE beam so as to retain the original look. Not sure how long these inserts will last but working good for the time being. Expecting that they last at least an year. Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image.jpg

(Request mods to merge with above post as for some reason I could not upload more than one image in one post)

The set if blades that I bought: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2016 at 06:46. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 11:54   #7612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The Civic AT has much taller gearing than the MT. I saw one US EPA figure rating it 1MPG superior to the MT on the highway. The gearing is just above 50kph per 1000 rpm in 5th.
I checked at 100kmph, and the rpm was hovering at the 2k mark, full 1k below that of my city MT. That's a huge plus since it's something that bugged me about the city, and got addressed without me realizing

Good experience so far, I've quickly realized the merits of having an AT. Will post a more detailed post soon.

Here's what I picked:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1467959047811.jpg  

avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 12:01   #7613
Senior - BHPian

@avisidhu; Yes it is around 50.4k/1000rpm. I think I same someone pick up the data and then post it. Somehow our reviewers think this information is of no importance. I know my Brio At is about 40kph per 1000 rpm.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:28   #7614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@avisidhu; Yes it is around 50.4k/1000rpm. I think I same someone pick up the data and then post it. Somehow our reviewers think this information is of no importance. I know my Brio At is about 40kph per 1000 rpm.
So even the Brio AT is better than the City MT! I realized this aspect soon enough and considered this the biggest grouse with my City, specially the initial few years when I did extensive highway runs. And now most of the highways around here are either six laned or will soon be, so tall gearing ratio is something of a must have. but as you said, not many people even give this a thought.

Can someone confirm me about the alloys on the Civic I posted above. They are not the regular Civic alloys and I've never seen them on one, can't figure out if they are some special edition related. They are OEM Honda alloys btw.
Old 8th July 2016, 16:24   #7615
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone confirm me about the alloys on the Civic I posted above. They are not the regular Civic alloys and I've never seen them on one, can't figure out if they are some special edition related. They are OEM Honda alloys btw.
Look like the one that were OE fitment on the Honda Accord and some models of the Honda City iVtec.
Old 8th July 2016, 17:31   #7616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Look like the one that were OE fitment on the Honda Accord and some models of the Honda City iVtec.
I'm pretty certain no model of the City ever had these, also because they are R16. I suspected Accord alloys too, thanks for the confirmation. Will confirm with the previous owner once.
Old 8th July 2016, 18:41   #7617
BHPian

Quote:
I'm pretty certain no model of the City ever had these
City VMT did have these as an option. Check Here

Perhaps the previous owner got a good deal on the 205/55/R16 tyres and alloys and decided to swap shoes.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 8th July 2016 at 18:42.
Old 8th July 2016, 19:55   #7618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for tall gearing it is good for economy but if in lower gears will compromise the pick up. So there is a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty certain no model of the City ever had these, also because they are R16. I suspected Accord alloys too, thanks for the confirmation. Will confirm with the previous owner once.
Honda have been pretty casual about the alloys. I bought my Brio V AT (first in Kanpur) and ordered a fifth alloy. It came in the same shape, but was grey-silver instead of Silver. When a couple of years ago I bought the Amaze for my daughter-in-law Honda supplied the fifth alloy after checking on the car chassis details. An indirect acceptance!
Old 8th July 2016, 19:56   #7619
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about the RPM levels, the Civic MT's needle hovers around 2500 at 100 KMPH. This can help score 16+ FE figures easily on highways while cruising. So I'm assuming that the AT can beat the MT if confined to such a cruise in FE dept.

Regards.
Old 9th July 2016, 02:32   #7620
BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

So I'm on a long drive from mumbai to goa and midway I face this issue suddenly of all (IIRC) lights blinking at random intervals like the ignition restart! Headlights, in cabin lights, ac, music system et al. Since I'm driving in night, decided to take a halt and continue the journey tomorrow morning as a precaution. Has anyone else faced this issue? and can help with a probable diagnosis?

Last edited by 1lokesh : 9th July 2016 at 02:40.

Most Viewed