Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:15   #6136
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Buddy was your car bought used ? By drive belt i am assuming the serpentine belt. At 40K it's too early to change the serpentine belt.If the car was bought used 99.98% of cars have rigged odo's this i am afraid is quite true so please be wary and don't go by what is seen on the odo.Is the belt worn out.Always in case of expensive service costs always get a second opinion before proceeding.
No, I bought it new 6 yrs back. Though it run only 40k, does age also matter ?. I have not observed any squeaky sound from engine bay, and hence may its an attempt by service advisor to fool me. Will go afternoon today, and ask him to prove that it went bad.
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:45   #6137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
No, I bought it new 6 yrs back. Though it run only 40k, does age also matter ?. I have not observed any squeaky sound from engine bay, and hence may its an attempt by service advisor to fool me. Will go afternoon today, and ask him to prove that it went bad.
AFAIK the civics have drive chain, not belt which should outlast the car. The belt that the advisor might be talking about must be the one that drives the acc and other systems when engine is running. It's next to the engine on drivers side. It can be inspected for wear visually otherwise no need to change. Also if it is worn, the root cause should be ascertained, not just stop with replacing the belt.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 20:13   #6138
Senior - BHPian

Just curious but how long does the serpentine belt last? I was advised a PS overhaul (due to an apparent leak) and a belt replacement during my 1,00,000 kms service. On inspection, there was no PS fluid leak and the belt was fine.
Old 25th December 2014, 17:14   #6139
Senior - BHPian

Got the clutch replaced. Below are details for same. Oil only 2.5 litres of transmission oil was filled in.Clutch used was of Daikin make.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20141225_140622.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th December 2014 at 17:22.
Old 25th December 2014, 23:58   #6140
Senior - BHPian

Labour 4k? too expensive imho. Even the spares. Maybe mumbai rates are higher. I got a Daikin Exedy set for 4k, Rs 600 for the bearing. 200 for flywheel skimming. 1500 labour.
Old 26th December 2014, 07:46   #6141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Labour 4k? too expensive imho. Even the spares. Maybe mumbai rates are higher. I got a Daikin Exedy set for 4k, Rs 600 for the bearing. 200 for flywheel skimming. 1500 labour.
Yes i know the labour was expensive.I had called up Honda they said a entire clutch overhaul will start from min 18K and could go higher.Delhi buddy you get cheaper spares.You got the mount for 1900 bucks , i had got it at 4.5K.

I had a fallout with my old "trusted" garage guy which forced me to look for alternatives.I need the car daily and this place was the only place i knew who could do a quick but decent job with legitimate parts so i decided to go ahead with them even when i it dawned on me that the labor was more than twice what i could have got done elsewhere.It took one and a half day for the entire work to get completed.

BTW i have noticed guys there is a distinct clutch judder when the car is driven at very low parking speeds.The clutch now is extremely smooth and i have to re-learn driving the car as i was used to the hard clutch till now.The flywheel was skimmed and the tranny oil was changed.The car only took in 2.5 liters of oil as against 3 liter and i had to carry back the .5 liter with me.
Old 26th December 2014, 11:54   #6142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i know the labour was expensive.I had called up Honda they said a entire clutch overhaul will start from min 18K and could go higher.Delhi buddy you get cheaper spares.You got the mount for 1900 bucks , i had got it at 4.5K.

I had a fallout with my old "trusted" garage guy which forced me to look for alternatives.I need the car daily and this place was the only place i knew who could do a quick but decent job with legitimate parts so i decided to go ahead with them even when i it dawned on me that the labor was more than twice what i could have got done elsewhere.It took one and a half day for the entire work to get completed.

BTW i have noticed guys there is a distinct clutch judder when the car is driven at very low parking speeds.The clutch now is extremely smooth and i have to re-learn driving the car as i was used to the hard clutch till now.The flywheel was skimmed and the tranny oil was changed.The car only took in 2.5 liters of oil as against 3 liter and i had to carry back the .5 liter with me.
The clutch judder is probably because you've to get accustomed to the new clutch, time the release better.
As long as its money well spent. Hopefully all your problems have been solved so you can go back to enjoying the civic again.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 00:25   #6143
Senior - BHPian

Odo Reading: 100105. Suspension issue has cropped up. Creaking from right front when going over breakers. My mechanic says the suspension is bust. About time, so no complaints. I can run it for a few months after which the sound and creaks will aggravate.

I have enough time so I can evaluate the options. I have two I'm told. Either I do an entire overhaul. Or leave the car with him and let him check it thoroughly after which he claims he'll tell what specific parts to change. Will be a cheaper affair.

What do you folks recommend? Looking to hear from folks who've already got an overhaul done. Approximate cost and specific part details would be a great help.

The Honda A.S.S ( mathura road, delhi) ha given my friend an estimate of 6 0 - 80k to do the same, so I'm relying on my trusty mechanic.
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:36   #6144
BHPian

I have looked about this thoroughly and getting conflicting opinions.

What wiper size should I go for Honda Civic 2010 model, if it is aftermarket? Service Centre guys telling me I wont get their size outside!

Also is anyone aware of Honda in India ever having a TSB for clutch master cylinder if it makes a tick like noise when pressed fully and then released another tick?
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:11   #6145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW i have noticed guys there is a distinct clutch judder when the car is driven at very low parking speeds.
As i had mentioned that there was a distinct clutch judder at low parking speeds at 1-3 KMPH which was unnerving.I went back to the garage and showed the car to him. He agreed that though the judder was there it would subside in another 500 kms but if it doesn't then we will have to change the flywheel which would cost additional 13-15k just for the spare.

I was quite doubtful of his word and had called up Honda to get estimation of a new flywheel .They got back saying it would cost 15K for the part and 4.5 labor.According to the Hass advisor it should have been done in the first shot itself when the clutch was changed.

However thankfully after covering around 300-400 kms i have noticed that the juddering has quite reduced and is almost gone.There is still a mild tremble but is mangable with as the other option would be to spend 20K min , so touch wood i am living with it for now.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 08:18   #6146
BHPian

Quote:
As i had mentioned that there was a distinct clutch judder at low parking speeds at 1-3 KMPH which was unnerving.I went back to the garage and showed the car to him. He agreed that though the judder was there it would subside in another 500 kms but if it doesn't then we will have to change the flywheel which would cost additional 13-15k just for the spare.

I was quite doubtful of his word and had called up Honda to get estimation of a new flywheel .They got back saying it would cost 15K for the part and 4.5 labor.According to the Hass advisor it should have been done in the first shot itself when the clutch was changed.

However thankfully after covering around 300-400 kms i have noticed that the juddering has quite reduced and is almost gone.There is still a mild tremble but is mangable with as the other option would be to spend 20K min , so touch wood i am living with it for now.
This can also happen if the skimming done was not proper, make sure you are giving it to the right experienced guy

If you continue to run with the juddering, there are chances your clutch might also lose life !!

Last edited by srikant : 3rd January 2015 at 08:28.
srikant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:23   #6147
BHPian

Quote:

?....

Hey Sumeet,

Great to know that your ride is behaving.

Do you plan to go to HASS for advice?

Now that Honda has become a car for the masses they should open more showrooms and auth repair centres?

Some competition will do the existing monopolies a world of good.

What say?

All said and done, I think leaving Joe is a good riddance for you in long term.
skdking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 19:19   #6148
Senior - BHPian

Can this windshield chip be repaired?

What is the price of the windshield?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1420379341818.jpg  

Old 4th January 2015, 19:21   #6149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Can this windshield chip be repaired?

What is the price of the windshield?
No clue if it can be repaired.
Changed for 13K including fitting at Wind shield experts. Paid 2.8K as my part and rest insurance.
Old 4th January 2015, 19:40   #6150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hey Sumeet,

Do you plan to go to HASS for advice?

All said and done, I think leaving Joe is a good riddance for you in long term.
I had called up a Hass advisor whose no i had and to ask about the cost of the flywheel.In future i would be going to Hass for general service and whatever issues comes i would try to fix it from outside garages.This would be much better.As for Joe, yes sometimes things happen for good but only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
No clue if it can be repaired.
Changed for 13K including fitting at Wind shield experts. Paid 2.8K as my part and rest insurance.

I have noticed windshield experts (WE) charges are higher. My friend's Honda City got a quotation for 10k from windshield experts while another shop quoted 7-8K. I don't remember the figures accurately but all i knew he did not go to WE because they were asking higher.

Most Viewed