Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 10:18   #5956
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@thetinywanderer; You should get the relay click. It could also be very low refrigerant.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:27   #5957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@thetinywanderer; You should get the relay click. It could also be very low refrigerant.
Thanks for the input. Will go today and get it checked. The refrigerant was topped up four months back. What is the interval of top up?
Old 4th November 2014, 10:43   #5958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinywanderer View Post
Thanks for the input. Will go today and get it checked. The refrigerant was topped up four months back. What is the interval of top up?
Unless you have a leak maybe five years. Basically top up when the cooling declines significantly. So unless you have lost it you should be Ok. Please let us know what was the bug!
Old 4th November 2014, 10:44   #5959
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have a leak maybe five years. So unless you have lost it you should be Ok. Please let us know what was the bug!
I will after I get it checked today.
Old 5th November 2014, 17:29   #5960
BHPian

Okay so I went to a local mechanic and after some time he told me that there is a leakage in the cooling coil and that it has to be replaced. I'm not sure of it though, this was the first time I went to this guy. He is quoting 15000 in total for the cooling coil (9400 for denso cooling coil, 1500 for the refrigerant, 2500 for labor and 800 for compressor oil). Is this reasonable? Is there any other way I can find out what's wrong with the ac? HASS? I can't seem to hear the relay clicking when I turn on the ac.
Old 6th November 2014, 00:08   #5961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay so I went to a local mechanic and after some time he told me that there is a leakage in the cooling coil and that it has to be replaced. I'm not sure of it though, this was the first time I went to this guy. He is quoting 15000 in total for the cooling coil (9400 for denso cooling coil, 1500 for the refrigerant, 2500 for labor and 800 for compressor oil). Is this reasonable? Is there any other way I can find out what's wrong with the ac? HASS? I can't seem to hear the relay clicking when I turn on the ac.
If your mechanic is trusted then go for it. I had my ac overhauled for 12k with new coil, gas etc. from my garage guy. At HASS the coil alone will cost around 14k.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2014 at 12:07. Reason: As requested
Old 6th November 2014, 09:30   #5962
Senior - BHPian

I got my condenser replaced at HASS in 2011 - road grit punctured it. Take a loot at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2627895
Old 6th November 2014, 11:36   #5963
Senior - BHPian

I see that the Engine mount assembly is available on amazon US for about $77 (~4700 INR). This has the same item code mentioned here by laluks. Hope this is the correct part. However I am still surprised that coolkurt got it for INR 1900 !

http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Honda-F.../dp/B00C6MWS3M
Old 6th November 2014, 15:54   #5964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got my condenser replaced at HASS in 2011 - road grit punctured it. Take a loot at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2627895
Same here, replaced AC condensor with OEM (it's Daikin) cost around 15K (forgot the exact price ) including labour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I see that the Engine mount assembly is available on amazon US for about $77 (~4700 INR). This has the same item code mentioned here by laluks. Hope this is the correct part. However I am still surprised that coolkurt got it for INR 1900 !

http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Honda-F.../dp/B00C6MWS3M
For 1900Rs, seems like a Rubber mount instead of Hyraulic mount. (I Might be wrong also)

Yesterday, I thought of Changing the Mounts (Engine as well as transmission mounts) Checked Magnum Honda, Price quoted was ~9k for Engine mount & 5.6K for Transmission mount(not in stock).
check below links as how the 8th gen Civic mounts are (actually 4 mount parts)
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2010-Ho...3D181150823514
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MotorKing-Ho...=Model%3ACivic
Right front engine mount: A4530 (9280) / 50820-SVA-A05 / 50820-SNB-J02 / 50820SVAA05 / 50820SNBJ02
Torque strut lower: A4534 (9218) / 50890-SNA-A81 / 50890SNAA81
Torque Strut Upper: A4543 (9213) / 50880-SNA-A81 / 50880SNAA81
Transmission mount: A4546 / 50850-SNA-A81 / 50850-SNA-A82 / 50850SNAA81 / 50850SNAA82

So I Went to JC Road enquired for OEM Mounts, nobody sells OEM mounts.. all they had was N.O.K (Made in Thailand/Taiwan, pretty much reliable).
Price was 2,800Rs for Engine mount
http://www.nokindustry.com/show_prod...=ajax&wb_id=36
2100 for Transmission mount (Gearbox). (same is shared with CRV too)
http://www.nokindustry.com/show_prod...=ajax&wb_id=36
Also brought Front Lower Arm Bushes (RBI Tahiland) for 1,600Rs (same can be fitted to CR-V also)

Brought both mounts, as my car was shuddering, thought the issue to be Mounts gone busted.
Took my car to garage & Checked with a reliable garage Mechanic, found no issues with both the mounts, Replaced the Lower arm bushes .. To my utter suprise my car vibration/shudder has reduced a lot. Car feels smooth now.

Last edited by sushrutha : 6th November 2014 at 16:22. Reason: Named the parts
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 17:23   #5965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If your mechanic is trusted then go for it.I had my ac overhauled for 12k with new coil , gas etc from my garage guy.At HASS the cooling alone will cost around 14k.
Thanks for the input. I went to another mechanic just to cross check and he checked for leaks but he couldn't find any outside but the refrigerant was empty so the culprit must be the evaporator. He has quoted me 10000 for the job. Will be getting it done tomorrow. Is there anything else I need to worry about at 60000 on the odo?
Old 6th November 2014, 17:33   #5966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Buddy i think the best thing to do is to get the car checked out with a garage or at Hass.Get it scanned for error codes.

Is the check engine light coming on? Also what is the idle rpm at ?
No check engine light or any warning lights.
Cold start idle rpm is 1500 which drops to 800 quickly and stays constant till I rev.
Warm engine idle rpm is 700 constant

What could be the problem?
Old 6th November 2014, 17:42   #5967
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, my AC stopped working today. Haven't used the vehicle for the past few days. Started today and it was raining quite heavily and when I turn on the AC to clear the condensation, it wouldn't turn on. I couldn't hear the click and the change in engine note so mostly guessing a blown fuse? Any other cause for this?
A similar incident happened to me exactly 12 months back and my FNG narrowed it down to the AC compressor not engaging. There is a AC clutch plate that was faulty/burnt. This was concluded after topping up the AC refrigerant gas had no effect on the AC compressor's activation.

The AC clutch plate, the thing with the magnet and a coil, had to be replaced/rebuilt. This cost me around 5000 INR IIRC.

The AC started working again but with two minor hiccups: AC cooling at 90% of the previous levels and a very very minor whirring sound which no one notices except for me
Old 6th November 2014, 19:03   #5968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
A similar incident happened to me exactly 12 months back and my FNG narrowed it down to the AC compressor not engaging. There is a AC clutch plate that was faulty/burnt. This was concluded after topping up the AC refrigerant gas had no effect on the AC compressor's activation.

The AC clutch plate, the thing with the magnet and a coil, had to be replaced/rebuilt. This cost me around 5000 INR IIRC.

The AC started working again but with two minor hiccups: AC cooling at 90% of the previous levels and a very very minor whirring sound which no one notices except for me
Thanks for the response. I will check if that's the problem when I go tomorrow. The mechanic isn't entirely sure if it's the cooling coil, that's just his guess. Will the compressor run even without the refrigerant? Just to check that the compressor is okay. If the compressor is working fine then the issue is definitely in the cooling coil. repairing that needs the entire dash to be removed. So double checking is better.
Old 7th November 2014, 00:08   #5969
Senior - BHPian

@sushruta

It's a hydraulic mount. You don't get OEM mounts, atleast not easily. So the one I got was an aftermarket alternative. The folks at Ghai Spares have been in this business for a very long time and have a good reputation. Rs 1900 was a steal too. My car is back to being a silky smooth ride.
Old 7th November 2014, 08:18   #5970
BANNED

Need help . I am in two minds . I have been looking at a 17000Kms Civic Aug 2012 V AT , with Sunroof . The price owner is asking is 7.75lacs . The car is spotless .I intend to keep the car for about 8 years . My worry is/are
1.) What is the fuel economy light footed in City and Highway with and without 100% AC ?
2.) I see the mount etc cost in this thread which i am ok with , As of now the clearance in the mounts are good . In how much time/kms will i need to keep on replacing these mounts ?
3.) I am afraid of the automatic gearbox as i heard at Honda the gearbox in case develops any fault is INR 4 lacs in total , even just the clutch of automatic is about a lac . What are the parts that fail in this gearbox and approximate cost of changing same , in how much time / kms do they fail , require replacement ?
4.) I am fine with the running parts replacement costs like the brake pads , oils etc ,however i am just afraid i do not own a white elephant .
5.) The car will primarily be used for family as in outstation trips .For city i have my delightful Zen which does duty very cheap and reliably .
6.) Also is a City AT (prior to current ) a better option which also in a best condition is at about 7lacs in pre owned market?
7.) Also i heard the coils do fail often and are expensive to replace . How much do these costs ?
8.) Any thing specific i need to check in the Civic before putting money on it ?

Any other thought / pointers i will greatly appreciate.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 7th November 2014 at 08:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks