Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:46   #5746
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My front left power window motor has apparently gone "weak" and is not functioning properly. I'm told replacement cost is 14,000.

Should I take the diagnosis at face value?

Are there any other solutions that are more economical?

Thanks
Hello,

If the estimate was given to you by HASS you can get the job done in a good workshop in half the quoted amount.

Please avoid HASS like plague if you do not wish to have a hole in your pocket.

Best of luck.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:27   #5747
Senior - BHPian

@Axe77; Check on Amazon.com if it is available and they deliver to India.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 18:09   #5748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju1971 View Post
Dear sir,
I had posted a query regarding the clutch and suspension repairs for my Honda accord 2002.I could not find any other thread regarding an accord nor did i get answers for my queries.I have been doing the repairs from the neighborhood mechanic for suspension jobs,he gets the parts from Mumbai. I am somehow not satisfied with the job and feel the rubber that goes into the bushes are suspect.The mechanic also says that the clutch needs an overhaul(release bearing) and i also can feel some noises while depressing the clutch.Should i go the ASC? Would it be exorbitant? Please give some idea based on the Civic for the complete suspension job and clutch job.
At hass for clutch overhaul its 12 k.I was quoted 50k for complete suspension overhaul for imported components from a local garage which i did not go for.
Old 25th August 2014, 08:22   #5749
Senior - BHPian

Guys my Civic's top display ie the speedo , fuel guage etc is not coming on when i started the car early in the morning.I am smelling a rat here but any pointers as to what could have gotten wrong ? Unfortunately i don't have time to go to my garage guy for a fix today will have to live with it for a day or two.
Old 27th August 2014, 21:14   #5750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys my Civic's top display ie the speedo , fuel guage etc is not coming on when i started the car early in the morning.I am smelling a rat here but any pointers as to what could have gotten wrong ? Unfortunately i don't have time to go to my garage guy for a fix today will have to live with it for a day or two.
Hello Sumeet,

What news?

We are curious.

Is that the first time it happened?
Old 27th August 2014, 21:26   #5751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello Sumeet,

What news?

We are curious.

Is that the first time it happened?
Yes this is the first time it has happened.Have scheduled a visit to the garage on saturday will see what happens.
Old 30th August 2014, 11:45   #5752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As i had earlier reported the display was not coming for the fuel gauge, speedo and the temperature i went to a local garage to verify same.

The good news was that they were able to rectify same by simply disconnecting and re-connecting the battery again. The display now back in working condition.

The bad news is according to the garage guy (this is not my regular garage ) that while it's working now it has a chance that it may stop working again and if the need arises i may have to get the same changed.The shocker about this was that a "used" display could cost anything 20-25K

Anyways keeping my fingers crossed that it does not happen again.I am not sure if the prices being mentioned are right maybe someone who goes to HASS for service can find out and tell us if the display thingy costs such a bomb.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th August 2014 at 11:47.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:54   #5753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello,

If the estimate was given to you by HASS you can get the job done in a good workshop in half the quoted amount.

Please avoid HASS like plague if you do not wish to have a hole in your pocket.

Best of luck.
I agree. I had a similar quote handed to me by HASS, when my driver door glass window pane broke. They said, not just the window pane, but the entire power window motor assembly has to be changed, and it will cost around 16K. Finally, I just sourced the window pane from HASS for 2K, went to a previously known, reliable mechanic and got it fixed. There were some work required to the assembly. Total cost was 3K - so a total of 5K instead of 16K estimated by HASS.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:31   #5754
BHPian

Quote:
As i had earlier reported the display was not coming for the fuel gauge, speedo and the temperature i went to a local garage to verify same.

The good news was that they were able to rectify same by simply disconnecting and re-connecting the battery again. The display now back in working condition.

The bad news is according to the garage guy (this is not my regular garage ) that while it's working now it has a chance that it may stop working again and if the need arises i may have to get the same changed.The shocker about this was that a "used" display could cost anything 20-25K

Anyways keeping my fingers crossed that it does not happen again.I am not sure if the prices being mentioned are right maybe someone who goes to HASS for service can find out and tell us if the display thingy costs such a bomb.
Hello Sumeet,

That is great news.

However, now that I think of it, it should be the first first aid step when any electric component is involved.

Just like booting the computer, I guess.

Its a good lesson for the rest of us.
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:17   #5755
BHPian

One of the ignition coils on my V-AT failed a few months ago and was replaced. Again this morning had the similar symptoms and got it checked with my regular mechanic and another coil has failed.

Any ideas as to why the coils are failing given that it is not a very common problem? I am generally a sedate driver and have very low usage. The car has done about 48k kms so far.
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:22   #5756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
One of the ignition coils on my V-AT failed a few months ago and was replaced. Again this morning had the similar symptoms and got it checked with my regular mechanic and another coil has failed.

Any ideas as to why the coils are failing given that it is not a very common problem? I am generally a sedate driver and have very low usage. The car has done about 48k kms so far.
What are the symptoms and what's the cost involved ? Have not come across cases like that. Generally coils fail after a long age or due to some short circuit which can happen due you loose connection or water entering into it.
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:34   #5757
BHPian

Hey friends,

I own a 2009 Civic, no major problem till date (touch wood!).

Recently, I have noticed that I have to turn the ignition for an extra second or two to get the car started. I assumed it would be a battery problem and got it checked but the mechanic (not HASS, my trusted workshop) said that the battery was fine. Today I saw a green key shaped sign flash in the dash for half a second when i was trying to turn the ignition, and it took me 2-3 seconds to get it started. Please advise what could be the possible problem, the car has been running daily (avg 10-25 km per day) under normal road conditions (Mumbai) and I have not noticed any other electrical, mechanical or engine related anomalies.

Thanks
Rohan
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:05   #5758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
Hey friends,

Recently, I have noticed that I have to turn the ignition for an extra second or two to get the car started. I assumed it would be a battery problem and got it checked but the mechanic (not HASS, my trusted workshop) said that the battery was fine. Today I saw a green key shaped sign flash in the dash for half a second when i was trying to turn the ignition, and it took me 2-3 seconds to get it started. Please advise what could be the possible problem, the car has been running daily (avg 10-25 km per day) under normal road conditions (Mumbai) and I have not noticed any other electrical, mechanical or engine related anomalies.

Thanks
Rohan
@rohan

same thing happened with my 2007 civic. After a few days, the battery gave in. Your battery is getting weaker.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:12   #5759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
Hey friends,

Thanks
Rohan
The green key sign turning on briefly is perfectly fine as it confirms that you are using the genuine key for the car. This should happen every time you turn the ignition on.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:03   #5760
Senior - BHPian

Civvy got new shoes around 15K Km back. Yoko dbs. Now the rear ones seems to have worn out and may be good for another 2K. Front ones seem good for another 5K.

Need a few views
1) Do Yoko dbs wear out so fast - 15 to 20K kms?
2) Is it time to check all suspension components?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks