Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 06:56   #5401
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
And look what I found when I decided to clean the A/C blower unit...
Blue thunder how did you solve that problem ?

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0228.jpg

Guys when i opened by Civic's bonnet i found that the area with the rubber beading's under the wiper mounts which was taped was eaten away by a rat.I am not sure whether the to seal the same with a feviquik and a harder material as i am not sure if the rat is still inside. Does this part lead to inside the cabin filter area. I managed to see fresh rat dropping inside the cut area.

Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 12:56   #5402

Looks like engine oil leak. Lift the car and check if their's a crack (hairline ortherwise) in the engine oil pan. When the car runs and oil heats up, it can leak out of crack and spread across the oil pan.

I had a similar problem a week back after the front underbody got hit on a nasty pothole in Bangalore.

Got the crack repaired and also installed spacers in front suspensions. The car looks and feels to have a good GC now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Guys, A friend has recently brought a Civic 1.8S MT, late 2006 model.

It seems that there is some oil leak from underneath the car. Attached the pic of the leak.

Can someone please provide any pointers as to what could be the cause of this leak?
Old 15th April 2014, 12:59   #5403

Hi Team,

Just want to pick your collective brains on maintenance of Civic wiper blades. Is there anything we can use to clean them up regulary and which also enhances the life of blades?
Old 15th April 2014, 15:17   #5404
vcx
BHPian

arun-t, try using any of the good quality dashboard/tyre polish to ensure the rubber of the wipers do not harden. when not in log term used/parked( slip them into a plastic cover and lift the wiper arms.

Atleast I do this and its been 2.5 yrs since I have changed my wiper rubbers, In any case its suggested to change /check before monsoons, which I will also be doing come June here in Hyderabad.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:08   #5405
Senior - BHPian

@arun-t; Not much rubber hardens with age and out climate accelerates it. I guess if you get two years out of the rubber you are doing well.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:43   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Just want to pick your collective brains on maintenance of Civic wiper blades. Is there anything we can use to clean them up regulary and which also enhances the life of blades?
I keep a folded newspaper under it when the car is idle for long periods.
I remember reading it in the Honda Manual that otherwise the rubber can stick to the glass.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 19:08   #5407

Thanks vcx. I have Formula 1 dashboard polish (I guess it's silicon based). Should I try that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
arun-t, try using any of the good quality dashboard/tyre polish to ensure the rubber of the wipers do not harden. when not in log term used/parked( slip them into a plastic cover and lift the wiper arms.

Atleast I do this and its been 2.5 yrs since I have changed my wiper rubbers, In any case its suggested to change /check before monsoons, which I will also be doing come June here in Hyderabad.
Old 15th April 2014, 20:45   #5408
vcx
BHPian

Not sure of Silicon based, but amorall is very good rubber plastic protectant. If you are unsure, spray with the dashboard spray you have and then clean it, apply any petroleum jelly to ensure rubber quality is sustained.
Old 18th April 2014, 08:20   #5409
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the clutch replaced. Daikin Exedy. Flywheel resurfaced.

Total expense:
Clutch set - 4550
Bearing - 750
3 ltrs gear oil - 580
Labour - 1500

Workshop: Next to Kalka Public School, Alaknanda, New Delhi. Been going to them for years now.

Clutch is butter smooth now. My Civic is back in shape. 7 years and counting
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 11:49   #5410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Finally got the clutch replaced. Daikin Exedy. Flywheel resurfaced.

Total expense:
Clutch set - 4550
Bearing - 750
3 ltrs gear oil - 580
Labour - 1500

Workshop: Next to Kalka Public School, Alaknanda, New Delhi. Been going to them for years now.

Clutch is butter smooth now. My Civic is back in shape. 7 years and counting
Hey that's quite reasonable I would say. I am sure the same thing at any H.A.S.S would have costed a bomb. BTW, where did you source your Exedy clutch ? I am looking for one for my Esteem for a long time now. Thanks.
Old 18th April 2014, 16:08   #5411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Hey that's quite reasonable I would say. I am sure the same thing at any H.A.S.S would have costed a bomb. BTW, where did you source your Exedy clutch ? I am looking for one for my Esteem for a long time now. Thanks.
I sourced my clutch from Batra Auto Spares at K - 68, Hari Nagar, Ashram, South Delhi. You can call them - 09999634477 and enquire if they have the parts you require. They're old and reputed and they usually have most parts.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 23:37   #5412
Team-BHP Support

It has almost been 4 years since I bought the Civic, and it has picked up lots of dings, dents & scratches in Bangalore traffic. Some of the dents/scratches have been caused by my dad - he seems to have trouble reversing the car because of the sharp steering of the Civic.

Got the following paint work done at Magnum Honda -

- Rear bumper
- Front bumper (the right half only)
- Front fender (right side)
- Rear quarter panel (right side)

Basically, on the right side, except for the doors, the entire side has been repainted.

Including a little bit of tinkering work (Rs. 2500), the total cost of the paint job was Rs. 16,000 (inclusive of taxes).
Old 19th April 2014, 01:06   #5413
BHPian

I am looking for a used October 2009 or later Honda Civic 1.8 V or S MT in Mumbai and I wanted some feedback from current owners:

1. What would be a better buy a November 2009 model gone 35k or a 2011 model gone 50k?

Which one would be more reliable? is there any significance difference?

Also should I pay a big premium for a car (same model year) which has gone 30k versus one gone 50k?

2. If I get a complete checkup done at a authorized Honda Service Center and everything is all right can I take that as the final go ahead?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 19th April 2014, 02:19   #5414
BHPian

My 2007 Civic SAT is having issues with front lower arm bushings. It appears they have gone bad within 1 year of their replacement (sourced by a FNG). Now I am being told by the same FNG that there can be no guarantees on life of bushings sourced from outside.

As I understand these bushings can't be like consumable items. I am scared of approaching Honda A.S.S as I believe they will ask me to get the whole lower arm replaced which is likely to be an expensive proposition.

My query is - has anybody got the whole lower arms or only the bushes replaced by HASS? If yes, then how much it costed?
Old 19th April 2014, 09:23   #5415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I am looking for a used October 2009 or later Honda Civic 1.8 V or S MT in Mumbai and I wanted some feedback from current owners:

1. What would be a better buy a November 2009 model gone 35k or a 2011 model gone 50k?

Which one would be more reliable? is there any significance difference?

Also should I pay a big premium for a car (same model year) which has gone 30k versus one gone 50k?

2. If I get a complete checkup done at a authorized Honda Service Center and everything is all right can I take that as the final go ahead?

Thanks in Advance.

I guess the facelift happened in December so nov 2009 will be pre facelift.

Difference being post facelift they fixed the rear suspension to avoide scraping and also the infamous engine mount problem. Though the latter still crops up on many cars.

Also post facelift all cars came with 2+2 years extended warranty. So the 2011 car will be well within honda warranty for peace of mind.

Having said that, I would suggest go for the car you feel has been more cared for. I was on a civic hunt in Mumbai the whole of last month and some civics that I saw were older but better maintained than some 2011 & 2012 civics.

Frankly don't trust the odo trust your instincts.

PS: Follow the used car buying guide.
bigblackshark is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks