Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2014, 21:45   #5296
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

And look what I found when I decided to clean the A/C blower unit...

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20140210562.jpg
Blue Thunder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 10:05   #5297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
And look what I found when I decided to clean the A/C blower unit...
And they have eliminated the Dust/Pollen filters in India!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 19:28   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I am looking for a used civic, mostly 07/08. I have seen couple of cars in my budget, but wanna know what all to be checked while looking for a used civic which has done around 50k-70k. How much maintenance can I expect for the same? what all are the issues which can crop up in a civic at this mileage.
Old 18th February 2014, 11:51   #5299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for a used civic, mostly 07/08. I have seen couple of cars in my budget, but wanna know what all to be checked while looking for a used civic which has done around 50k-70k. How much maintenance can I expect for the same? what all are the issues which can crop up in a civic at this mileage.
check if the engine mounts have been replaced.
Ask for the service record...see if the car has been serviced regularly at HASS
Then see if the car is running on coolant or water..if water...stay way from the deal.
Then check the engine oil
Also see if any suspension work has been done (cars with 70k km will have suspension issues to be looked at)
If its an automatic then check the AT fluid... There should be no burning smell coming from the fluid....on the same note also see if the car is shifting smoothly in gears there should be no jerks etc

Also check for signs of accident damage/repair
Old 18th February 2014, 12:16   #5300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post
Then see if the car is running on coolant or water..if water...stay way from the deal.
Also see if any suspension work has been done (cars with 70k km will have suspension issues to be looked at)
If its an automatic then check the AT fluid... There should be no burning smell coming from the fluid....on the same note also see if the car is shifting smoothly in gears there should be no jerks etc

Adding....

1. Get the front bumper removed and check the front impact bar, this should indicate if any frontal impacts could have taken place
2. Check for AC
3. Steering components health
4. Underbody damages, considering its low clearance
Old 18th February 2014, 21:13   #5301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Adding....

1. Get the front bumper removed and check the front impact bar, this should indicate if any frontal impacts could have taken place
2. Check for AC
3. Steering components health
4. Underbody damages, considering its low clearance
Just to add details on one particular car which I liked.
07 model, 69k done. It has skirting and 17 inches alloys. Don't think there is any service record.
Old 18th February 2014, 21:24   #5302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Just to add details on one particular car which I liked.
07 model, 69k done. It has skirting and 17 inches alloys. Don't think there is any service record.
The lesser mileage done, the better. Without service history, always take it with a pinch of salt.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:37   #5303
BHPian

I have a query regarding the spark plug to be used. Civic runs on Iridium Plugs, while fitting CNG I was advised to change it to normal plug which I did and the car is running fine. I wanted to know that if I can use the iridium spark plugs or it's better to use the normal plug.
Old 25th February 2014, 14:24   #5304
Senior - BHPian

@saurabhkum; I see no logic in not using Iridium!
Old 26th February 2014, 09:15   #5305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I have a query regarding the spark plug to be used. Civic runs on Iridium Plugs, while fitting CNG I was advised to change it to normal plug which I did and the car is running fine. I wanted to know that if I can use the iridium spark plugs or it's better to use the normal plug.
Normal plugs use copper, which conducts better, which in turn is the best choice if you use natural gas as the fuel. Maybe that's why they advised in this fashion. Those plugs might not last a lakh kilometers like the oem iridum ones, but are best suited for fuels like cng.

The main advantage of iridium plugs are its longevity. Any other advantages, would be very marginal for us to notice, imho.
Old 26th February 2014, 18:11   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone read this?

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/h...n-india-85452/

Now I'm never selling mine! sad development.

Btw. My civic's clutch has become hard. Time for a replacement. Reputed spare part shops are quoting 3.5-4k for the entire clutch kit. Should I go ahead? I thought it was 12k for a replacement.
Old 1st March 2014, 21:12   #5307
BHPian

Re: Adya33's review of Honda Civic Manual

Hi, I have a 2007 MT Civic. It has done around 35,000 km. I get it serviced from Honda & has been very well maintained. This has been a great experience all these years, but lately the steering wheel has become really stiff.

Since I own a few cars & familiar with the basics, did check the oil levels, belt etc. Everything is in order. Honda says there isn't anything missing, but I know the driving experience has really deteriorated. My alternate garage guy tells me it could be the worn out tyres... But I am not convinced. There is still some thread left & anyways how bad can tyres get at 35k km?

So need to advise from this forum- what can possibly be wrong?

By the way, I nowadays drive a Land Rover Discovery (1998 model, not new), but the steering on that is so good that driving the Civic makes it feel dreadful. I want to go back to loving my Civic:-) ... Need help folks!
Old 1st March 2014, 22:20   #5308

Re: Adya33's review of Honda Civic Manual

35000 kms seems to be right around the time when the power steering fluid leak issue crops up on the Civic. Ask for that to be specifically checked along with the steering rack. Keep in mind, it could be an expensive repair.

I am looking for a used civic now- so have come across (and backed out from buying) a couple of cars with issues similar to yours
ajslave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 00:53   #5309
BHPian

Hi All, firstly I must complement this thread... It seems to be a great information source on Civic.

I am looking for some help on my Civic's steering wheel- it has become increasingly tight. A check on oil levels shows it is ok. Other usual potential causes also don't seem to apply here.

Have always used Honda to service my car & it is well maintained for its 35000km & 6 years of age.

Can someone point me to what all things I can check for?

Appreciate the help...
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:23   #5310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Good evening fellas!

However, when I tried opening the LHS passenger door last evening, it made a cranky sound and on further observation, I noticed that a panel gap had 'developed' causing an obstruction that wouldn't let the door to be opened completely!

The car is always parked in the front yard of my house, which has a concrete compound around it, so there's no way someone would have banged their vehicle into mine and zoomed away. This is the only car that gets parked inside the compound. There are no dents/scratches/marks on the fender or the LHS door either! Here are the pictures for that:

I am absolutely clueless as to what might have caused this panel gap! I need some inputs as to what might have led to this and also, if anyone else has experienced something abnormal like this before! Please help.

Thank you.
I have a similar problem in my driver side door. I have couple of (large) dogs playing around my car and had always thought this could be them banging on the door.

I have a bigger problem in the last few months. I have rats spoiling my car. I see rat droppings every day in glove box, door side pockets, on the floor mats, seats, and even in the boot. I've tried every known method to avoid them but of no use. I have a Brio parked along side my Civic and it looks like its impossible for the rats to enter the Brio and very easy to enter the Civic. The HASS are not of any help. The few times I had asked a solution for this, their reply was that they have not heard of rats entering the car when the car is locked and simply say that I might have kept the door open for the rats to enter. Today the AC cooling stopped though not sure if it was the rats. Are there any solution for this?

Most Viewed