Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 21:03   #5026
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Thanks to a few of the Bhpians here, i'm also contemplating going in for a pre owned Civic AT. ....
Ive never driven an automatic before, so is there anything specific I should be keeping my ears open for on that front?
Make sure you go in for post face-lift model ie pre 2009 models only. They have improvements over the older models with respect to the suspension and the engine mount.Try to get one with low mileage.It being a petrol car they should be plenty of around at throw away prices.Don't settle for high mileage ones even at low prices as chances are they might have been abused and not driven very well.

There are people on this forum who have driven used civics for close to 100K with only service costs ranging from 3-5K at most."Others" haven't been that lucky.So look around for a low mileage and a single owner car that would be a best bet
Old 5th November 2013, 21:24   #5027
DWC
BHPian

Thanks Sumeet, in an ideal world I would have gone for a post 2009 model, however, my budget being only Rs. 400,000, im limited to 2006 - 2007 models. Like you said, people have driven there cars for more than 100k and im sure the car can easily go to around 200k if not much more. Keep in mind I shall keep a few $'s aside for any niggles that may be there. GTO has given an affordable fix for the suspension issue as well.

For my limited budget, I have seen a few cars online who are single owner and have done around 50k on the odometer. May CNG the car as well, so trying to keep the budget under 4 lakhs as will have to shell out for a conversion kit as well as any other issues that need attending to at the time of purchase.

So is there any specific reason not to go for the pre facelift model?
Old 6th November 2013, 12:42   #5028
BHPian

Hi friends,

I have a pre owned Oct 2009 Civic 1.8 MT, about 48000 km done. Driving is 90% within Mumbai's congested lanes and 10% highways (Pune expressway). I bought the car in early 2011 (1.7 years old then, 12000 km done with complete service record at Linkway Honda). The car has no history of any accidents (touch-wood!) barring a few undercarriage scrapes. I have been getting the car regularly serviced at Solitaire Honda, Andheri (W), Mumbai and have changed the battery, engine mounts and brake pads so far. Tyres are up for change next. Current fuel economy is 7.5km/L.

Lately I have been facing a few problems with my car and need your advice.
  1. Persistent squeak from clutch paddle, the paddle has become quite hard too! - HASS lubricates the pedal and the sound goes away for a few days and then resurfaces again! No cure for the hard pedal
  2. The gear knob is not slick as it used to be, shifting to 1st gear from any other gear can be slightly problematic at times (refuses to slot correctly)
  3. Rattling noises are driving me mad! Especially there is a noise (semi jingling/clinking) that comes from front right side when the roads are slightly uneven - HASS has not been able to resolve this through numerous service sessions
  4. There is a creaky noise that emanates from the rear seat/boot area even on smooth roads - may have something to do with the sound system installed in the boot!
  5. Rear seat passengers (my parents/in-laws) have been citing cases of nasty shocks on potholes/speed breakers even at minimal speeds. The car makes a jarring thump (only at the rear side) if i cross even a small deformation on the road at a slightly higher speed with loaded rear seat - HASS people have checked this issue numerous times and every time say that the shock absorbers are fine!
  6. Clutch-less drive can get slightly "knocking" at times. Again HASS has cleaned the throttle body to rectify this but the problem comes and goes at its own will
Frankly, i am not happy with HASS Solitaire Honda (mumbai) since they have not been able to resolve most of the persistent problems over the past year or so. Recently, they suggested changing the clutch assembly to rectify the nagging clutch related problems. This is bound to cost me a bomb and i am not sure if it is the right course of action. Please advise.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:48   #5029
Senior - BHPian

@Rohan

HASS is right. For 1 & 2, you need to replace the clutch set. Clutch plate, pressure plate and bearing. The symptoms you've laid down implies your clutch is toast.

Last edited by coolkurt : 6th November 2013 at 12:50.
Old 6th November 2013, 13:26   #5030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
@Rohan

HASS is right. For 1 & 2, you need to replace the clutch set. Clutch plate, pressure plate and bearing. The symptoms you've laid down implies your clutch is toast.
Thanks for your prompt response coolkurt

I have been driving this car for past 2.5 years or more and have been facing problems 1&2 for at least 12-15 months. This implies that the car was barely 3 years old with 30-32000 km on the odo when the problems started. Is it a valid time-frame/age for such major problems to occur in a Civic? I drove a pre owned Maruti Zen (2003 mpfi model) for 5 years (100,000km at close) and never changed its clutch assembly!
Old 6th November 2013, 14:23   #5031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
Hi friends,

I have a pre owned Oct 2009 Civic 1.8 MT, about 48000 km done. Driving is 90% within Mumbai's congested lanes and 10% highways (Pune expressway). I bought the car in early 2011 (1.7 years old then, 12000 km done with complete service record at Linkway Honda). The car has no history of any accidents (touch-wood!) barring a few undercarriage scrapes. I have been getting the car regularly serviced at Solitaire Honda, Andheri (W), Mumbai and have changed the battery, engine mounts and brake pads so far. Tyres are up for change next. Current fuel economy is 7.5km/L.

Lately I have been facing a few problems with my car and need your advice.
  1. Persistent squeak from clutch paddle, the paddle has become quite hard too! - HASS lubricates the pedal and the sound goes away for a few days and then resurfaces again! No cure for the hard pedal
  2. The gear knob is not slick as it used to be, shifting to 1st gear from any other gear can be slightly problematic at times (refuses to slot correctly)
  3. Rattling noises are driving me mad! Especially there is a noise (semi jingling/clinking) that comes from front right side when the roads are slightly uneven - HASS has not been able to resolve this through numerous service sessions
  4. There is a creaky noise that emanates from the rear seat/boot area even on smooth roads - may have something to do with the sound system installed in the boot!
  5. Rear seat passengers (my parents/in-laws) have been citing cases of nasty shocks on potholes/speed breakers even at minimal speeds. The car makes a jarring thump (only at the rear side) if i cross even a small deformation on the road at a slightly higher speed with loaded rear seat - HASS people have checked this issue numerous times and every time say that the shock absorbers are fine!
  6. Clutch-less drive can get slightly "knocking" at times. Again HASS has cleaned the throttle body to rectify this but the problem comes and goes at its own will
Frankly, i am not happy with HASS Solitaire Honda (mumbai) since they have not been able to resolve most of the persistent problems over the past year or so. Recently, they suggested changing the clutch assembly to rectify the nagging clutch related problems. This is bound to cost me a bomb and i am not sure if it is the right course of action. Please advise.
Try and see if a transmission oil flush can ease your first gear problem.For the sake of your hard earned money do not goto solitaire andheri as they know nothing about quality service.A clutch overhaul at Hass should cost around 12k.Try looking up a good independant garage for all your service and repair needs.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 15:59   #5032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
I've never driven an automatic before, so is there anything specific I should be keeping my ears open for on that front?
I too had never driven AT's before I bought the Civic.
Now after 6.5 years, I will never go back to a manual again in my life.

After you get used to it, it will appear to shift 'telepathically' to the exact gear you want.
I had always been in control, even in emergencies like sudden overtaking, etc.
Also I had done a lot of hill driving and there too it excels.

Go for it!
Old 6th November 2013, 16:20   #5033
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I too had never driven AT's before I bought the Civic.
Now after 6.5 years, I will never go back to a manual again in my life.

After you get used to it, it will appear to shift 'telepathically' to the exact gear you want.
I had always been in control, even in emergencies like sudden overtaking, etc.
Also I had done a lot of hill driving and there too it excels.

Go for it!
Thanks Manim, will most definitely be going for it. But what I was asking is whether I need to pay any special attention to the transmission at the time of testing the car? I mean, since i'm a novice with regard to automatics, how will I be able to know if the car i'm testing has a good gearbox or not?
Old 6th November 2013, 17:07   #5034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt response coolkurt I have been driving this car for past 2.5 years or more and have been facing problems 1&2 for at least 12-15 months. This implies that the car was barely 3 years old with 30-32000 km on the odo when the problems started. Is it a valid time-frame/age for such major problems to occur in a Civic? I drove a pre owned Maruti Zen (2003 mpfi model) for 5 years (100,000km at close) and never changed its clutch assembly!
Actually the fact that you see the car returning only 7.5 kmpl is a major flag to my mind.

My car is a July 2011 V M/T that is about to hit 40k kms now. The clutch pedal squeak, minor rattles from here and there and everywhere have always been there. In fact my car came delivered with a loose roof panel which took 3+ visits and many test drives and some 1000-2000 kms of life until it was *identified*. However I'm sure my clutch assembly is fine because pick-up is good and I still get 10+ kmpl in-city and 12.5+ on the highway.

HASS is incompetent in general, Solitaire or otherwise. HASS is a bane on what should otherwise be a fine car and experience.

Get a controlled mileage test done. Also get a dyno test. If both are fine, your clutch plates are good. Then it's probably just the pedal spring that needs replacement, since routine lubrication doesn't seem to work.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 06:57   #5035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt response coolkurt

I have been driving this car for past 2.5 years or more and have been facing problems 1&2 for at least 12-15 months. This implies that the car was barely 3 years old with 30-32000 km on the odo when the problems started. Is it a valid time-frame/age for such major problems to occur in a Civic? I drove a pre owned Maruti Zen (2003 mpfi model) for 5 years (100,000km at close) and never changed its clutch assembly!
You can try what spadix has recommended a few posts below. But in my opinion, depending on what you've written, a mileage of 7.5kmpl and difficulty in changing gears coupled with a hard clutch all point to a clutch replacement scenario. The car, even though it's done only 30-32k may have been abused by the previous owner...driving styles differ. I've seen clutch sets being replaced by people at 27k as well as 90k.

My MT Civic has a hard clutch too..and had too much of play. But I had no issue with shifting gears or mileage. HASS said replace the clutch. But since I had no issues with mileage or shifting gears, I took it to an independent garage, got the clutch master cylinder replaced and now all is good. The clutch is still a bit hard but I know my clutch isn't worn out yet. 82k and counting, still in OEM clutch.

Try an independent garage for a second opinion. Check out the team bhp directory for reputed ones.
Old 7th November 2013, 12:55   #5036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am not sure but the battery indicator lighting up would mean that the alternator is not charging.You should get the same checked out at a good garage.
Local mechanic confirmed that the alternator may have gone kaput. He tested this by removing the battery lead when the engine was running and the engine immediately switched off.

A new alternator will set me back by the price of a return ticket for Mumbai-London

I have asked the mechanic to rebuild the alternator today if it is possible. Otherwise my trip to London will remain unfulfilled.
Old 7th November 2013, 21:36   #5037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
Local mechanic confirmed that the alternator may have gone kaput. He tested this by removing the battery lead when the engine was running and the engine immediately switched off.

A new alternator will set me back by the price of a return ticket for Mumbai-London

I have asked the mechanic to rebuild the alternator today if it is possible. Otherwise my trip to London will remain unfulfilled.
If you don't mind what was the price of the new alternator quoted at ?
Old 7th November 2013, 21:52   #5038
BHPian

The local mechanic quoted 18k yesterday (thats why my pun on Mumbai-London return airfare).
But today he apparently inquired from his sources that a new alternator costs 38k!!
Roughly the cost of an maruti 800 in running condition today.

edit: sumeet I just realized that you too have a maruti 800 apart from a Civic, I have great respect to the wonderful little car. After all, I learnt driving in my Dad's 800 and took it to my college for some showbaazi.

Last edited by Derezzed : 7th November 2013 at 22:02.
Derezzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 00:07   #5039
BHPian

@derezzed

the way your mechanic has checked your alternator is not the right way of checking in this process he could had ended up blowing up your ECU *touchwood* nothing happened.

If you want to Do a DIY checking if your alternator is really at fault or not then do the following steps without skipping on anything.

1. Get a Multimeter which can read DC current.

2.Attach the two Leads of Multimeter to the Battery Terminal in the below manner
-Black lead to Negative
-Red Lead to Possitive.

3. Note down your Battery voltage when the engine is switched OFF and all accessories eg. Radio, lights etc off.

4. Start Your car with Multimeter connected and check under below conditions.
-Idling No Load (that is NO AC No headlights No Radio No electrical use):- It should be in range of 13.4-14.2volts.
-Idling with Load (that is With AC, Headlights, Radio etc complete electrical use) :- It should be in the range of 12.9-13.8volts

If the above range is not attained then Your alternator requires urgent attention.
If met then Your alternator is Absolutely Perfect!

Thank you
Jatin
jatinpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 08:32   #5040
Senior - BHPian

How much does an aftermarket set of brake pads cost for the civic? For both the front and rear wheels. I had come across a few pics posted on some civic ownership thread here but I lost track. Any particular brand that I should go for if I decide to buy them over the counter?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks