Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:19   #4786
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Kudos to that. Mine is around 6.5 years old and I still look forward to driving it, every single day. I'll probably keep it for a few more years, rather till Honda launches the 2015-16 model
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:24   #4787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
But honestly, the 8th gen Civic is a timeless creation which even Honda found impossible to improve on, atleast in the looks department.
This is 100% true. Its aerodynamic design and the cockpit-style dashboard are unbeatable features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
On 4-lane Highways, it is in its element: smooth, stable, safe and luxurious!
This car BELONGS to the 4-lane highways. It is exceptionally smooth, powerful, and firm on the ground. I have 205/65 R15 shoes for the beauty, and it performs/turns without a millimeter of slip on gradual turns even at triple-digit speeds. And, when required, it stops on the dot.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 3rd September 2013 at 09:24. Reason: Edited mention of speed from the post.
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:01   #4788
Senior - BHPian

People make a big deal of the ground clearance. It's good enough. I've rarely scraped a speed breaker. Used the Yamuna Expressway to go to Agra last month. Pure bliss. One of the few times in your life when you are in pure awe of a machine.

@Btw..I've noticed that the 2009 facelift has blue lit civic branding on all door sills. Where can I get that?
Old 3rd September 2013, 00:01   #4789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

@Btw..I've noticed that the 2009 facelift has blue lit civic branding on all door sills. Where can I get that?
The illuminated door sill is part of the 'Elegance' package that Honda offers.
And we can also find lot of them put up in ebay as well, if you are not looking for the pricey originals.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 00:33   #4790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Might be....is this true for all variants of Altis?

However, I'm yet to see one Altis drive ahead of me in the highways in the last 5 years
Quote:
Nopes, just the 1.8 one. And the difference we are talking about is around ~6 horses. So, its just a win on paper i guess.
Quote:
I guess the Altis has poorer 0-100 figures. But i remember some folks claiming the Laura is a better car overall in terms of specs.
The recent facelift Altis got a bump in power to 138bhp. The earlier Altis has 132bhp.

My car is primarily used as a fun car since last year. All commutes are taken care of by the Figo.

Till last year, when the Civic was used regularly the avg city FE with 100% AC was 10.5ish.

Now that has dropped to 9.5 .. though the 225/60/15s have a contribution there too.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:16   #4791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The recent facelift Altis got a bump in power to 138bhp. The earlier Altis has 132bhp.
Was it just a remap? The Civic is 144bhp in the US and European tune!
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:05   #4792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Was it just a remap? The Civic is 144bhp in the US and European tune!
I guess in those markets, there are a range of engines for Civic, right from 1.4 - 2.4 L engines, so the figure above of which spec engine?

If its from our R18A itself(and isn't this engine topped stock at 140 bhp-142PS?), well then, that's interesting
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:30   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the experience of installing both aftermarket and OE illuminated door sills. The aftermarket one costed me around 4k and had illumination on all 4 doors while the OE offered by Honda has illumination only in the front doors. The cost of the OE was around 10k then (back in 2010).

The aftermarket one went kaput in about two months time with one sill illumination conking off every few weeks. Finally I gave up on that and went in for the OE which is working fine till date.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:31   #4794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have the experience of installing both aftermarket and OE illuminated door sills. The aftermarket one costed me around 4k and had illumination on all 4 doors while the OE offered by Honda has illumination only in the front doors. The cost of the OE was around 10k then (back in 2010).

The aftermarket one went kaput in about two months time with one sill illumination conking off every few weeks. Finally I gave up on that and went in for the OE which is working fine till date.
10k is a bit too much for some fancy lighting. I've seen many on ebay retailing anywhere between 1k-4k...some claim to. be oem. with a year warranty. Worth trying?
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:11   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10k is a bit too much for some fancy lighting. I've seen many on ebay retailing anywhere between 1k-4k...some claim to. be oem. with a year warranty. Worth trying?
I felt the same way as you and hence went in for the aftermarket one only to see that going kaput within a few months. If you can live without the illumination in case it fails after sometime then you can very well go in for the ones available.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:48   #4796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its from our R18A itself(and isn't this engine topped stock at 140 bhp-142PS?), well then, that's interesting
Naturally, it has to be the same engine, same comp,... Just a higher state of tune. Check the US/ UK sites. In fact when we went BS-IV I asked Why not the same tune here, since now 91RON is standard everywhere.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:41   #4797
e2p
BHPian

Quote:
Here it is;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html

My take would be 4.25 - 4.5 is a good price, if the car is in good shape.

Lastly, keep in mind, that if you hold your patience, you will get a good car and good price. Remember, Civic is equally difficult to buy second hand, as it is to sell it off. (I meant, the pre worshiped types and not just 'second hand'.)
We did the test drive of the car today. There were not any major issues. The petrol lid has gone kaput. The interiors turned out not to be well maintained. I went in my friend's civic, V AT (2008). The interios of which was superb.

We told that 4.5 is the max that we can offer (I am sticking to this as I will be the 3rd owner). Yes I will hold my patience. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:22   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2p View Post
We did the test drive of the car today. There were not any major issues. The petrol lid has gone kaput. The interiors turned out not to be well maintained. I went in my friend's civic, V AT (2008). The interios of which was superb.

We told that 4.5 is the max that we can offer (I am sticking to this as I will be the 3rd owner). Yes I will hold my patience. Thanks a lot for your help.
Thanks for the update. Do you know why the second owner is selling off the car within just an year of ownership?
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:32   #4799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...There were not any major issues......
2 things to check , in case you havent already :

1. the engine mount
2. power-steering-fluid leak.

Quote:
...The petrol lid has gone kaput...
Please ask for how this happened. This does not normally go kaput in the Civic. Maybe some minor accident on the left rear ???
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:17   #4800
e2p
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Do you know why the second owner is selling off the car within just an year of ownership?
What they told is that this is due to financial priorities. They have agreed at 4.5 and I may settle the deal today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
2 things to check , in case you havent already :

1. the engine mount
2. power-steering-fluid leak.

Please ask for how this happened. This does not normally go kaput in the Civic. Maybe some minor accident on the left rear ???
Yes I had checked the engine mount and there is no gap. I have not checked the fluid leak. I aked about the petrol lid and what he told is that it is not due to any accident. Anyway I will show the car at honda service centre here before taking the keys. Also I will verify the accident claims, if any. Probably by end of the day today, I would become an authentic member of this 'civic' community.

Thanks a lot.
e2p is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks