Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 17:02   #4651
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think today in most aerosols the propellant used is LPG!
I just picked up a WD40 can today. Propellant in use is CO2. Mfg date was Feb2013
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 17:25   #4652
BHPian

Guys,
A known person has referred a Civic:
2010, 27k kms,1.8V Automatic, grey colour.
Haryana registration transferred to bangalore registration. In a company's name.

What is the fair price I can offer for the car?
Will resale value get affected beacause of the transfer of registration when I sell it?
Its from a genuine source thats why I am even considering it.

Look forward to your suggestions.
Chetan
Old 1st August 2013, 19:49   #4653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Guys,
A known person has referred a Civic:
2010, 27k kms,1.8V Automatic, grey colour.
Haryana registration transferred to bangalore registration. In a company's name.

What is the fair price I can offer for the car?
Will resale value get affected beacause of the transfer of registration when I sell it?
Its from a genuine source thats why I am even considering it.

Look forward to your suggestions.
Chetan
It should have a value around 7-7.15 depending on the condition.
Being on a company name and changed states are negatives when you sell.
Last but not least, <10k per year run for a company leased vehicle is too low a running, so be skeptic.
If source is reliable, then this looks like a good find.
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:41   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Today, my Civic completed 7 years (75k kms.). I got it home on 02-Aug-2006.

It has been doing its duty very well. Before Civic, I had never kept a car more than 4 years but I can't sell it just like that.

It has been almost trouble free experience except famous mount changes which I have done few time but keeping other things in minds - no regrets. It still drives as good as new.
mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:01   #4655
BHPian

Fantastic Mukeshji, it is a machine that you can only get used to, its not easy to part it. I almost closed sale with a broker. Came home and while sleeping the angel in my mind said 'idiot you are! you will never get a better car in this price, what will you buy - Laura with the unreliable after-sales or Corolla with the bland interiors'. I called the broker at 11.30 in night and requested I do not want to sell it, after giving me a lot of talk (customer toot jaate hain aise, maine commit kar diya ab to, ab kuch nahin kar sakta and dekhta hun) he said he will let me know the next day. He called in next day to say 'bhai I cant revert the decision as the party has put advance on my table'. I said I will call back, since I had not taken advance or anything and the car was with me only, I never returned or attended his call.

The reason its difficult to sell this car quickly after owning it is that it is a fantastic and hassle free (mostly) workhorse with classy and roomy interiors, you won't find its alternate in hours. Its one fine ride. Its like salt in your meal, its presence is usual but absence is a sore miss.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 07:11   #4656
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. My Civic is 6+ years old now, and it's as good as new. The engine note, the driveability is still stellar. The digital speedometer is still a point of discussion when I've got new people in my car.

I've had no maintenance issues, not even the infamous engine mount issue :touchwood:. This car is more efficient than my 1.4 Punto and that's something. My route to work is through a small forest patch and I easily get 13kpl due to that. On highways, I've extracted close to 17kmpl, who needs diesel?

The thought of selling this beauty has never crossed my mind. I've already decided, maybe 3-4 years down the line I'll be looking to upgrade to a higher class sedan, but if and when the civic goes out, it'll be replaced by a Civic only. With Corolla revisiting the segment in 2015 with a new model, Honda will have to have an offering in this segment eventually.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 11:20   #4657
BHPian

On a recent road trip with friends, it came to my attention that one of my tail lights doesn't light up on braking. It does light up when the headlights are on, but there is no alternate light when brake pedal is pressed.

Would this be a wiring issue or a fused bulb?
Old 4th August 2013, 19:42   #4658
BHPian

Its can't be fused bulb as it lights when lights are on. Its loose connection. Had the same problem. For me, it does not get ON with lights and when I tap it hard, it works fine for the next 2-3 days until another jerk from road sends it missing.
Old 4th August 2013, 22:22   #4659
Senior - BHPian

I have got an issue with the clutch of my 6 year old civic. Its run 80k kms. The clutch had started squeaking and become hard. I used WD40 and the squeaking isnt there but the clutch is still hard to press. The clutch of my Punto is super smooth.

Now, I havn't faced any issue with mileage, its still as good as ever and ive tried the " stop your car on a plain road, engage the first gear and release the clutch'. The car moves forward, so no hassles there. So i still dont know if its in need of a clutch replacement? or is there something else i need to check?
Old 4th August 2013, 22:48   #4660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
or is there something else i need to check?
Clutch pedal squeaks are fairly common with the Civic. My car has done just a little over 3 years and 36600 kms now and I've had a little squeak for the last few months (maybe a year almost). HASS as usual can't get rid of it with just some oiling and greasing. However, vital stats are just fine like in your case.

The conclusion was that the clutch pedal and its return spring needs replacement. Costs around INR 2400 total (I think parts + labour before tax). Not really required to get this done, per HASS. Can wait until the clutch overhaul/replacement, whenever that is.

Time will tell if that's the right thing to do.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th August 2013, 23:08   #4661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
On a recent road trip with friends, it came to my attention that one of my tail lights doesn't light up on braking. It does light up when the headlights are on, but there is no alternate light when brake pedal is pressed.

Would this be a wiring issue or a fused bulb?
Hey,

Brake bulbs are designed to have two elements, so you can differentiate at night when the brakes are pressed and when not. One of the two filaments have gone kaput in your case. There is no other solution than replacing the bulb.

Regards
Old 5th August 2013, 06:47   #4662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Clutch pedal squeaks are fairly common with the Civic. My car has done just a little over 3 years and 36600 kms now and I've had a little squeak for the last few months (maybe a year almost). HASS as usual can't get rid of it with just some oiling and greasing. However, vital stats are just fine like in your case.

The conclusion was that the clutch pedal and its return spring needs replacement. Costs around INR 2400 total (I think parts + labour before tax). Not really required to get this done, per HASS. Can wait until the clutch overhaul/replacement, whenever that is.

Time will tell if that's the right thing to do.

Regards,
spadix
I got rid of the squeaks with WD40. You can try that. It's available at any hardware store.

What I want to get rid of is the hard clutch. It's far from butter smooth. But I've not faced a drop in mileage? What should I need to check to see if a clutch replacement is really necessary?
Old 5th August 2013, 07:34   #4663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
What I want to get rid of is the hard clutch. It's far from butter smooth. But I've not faced a drop in mileage? What should I need to check to see if a clutch replacement is really necessary?
If clutch plates are worn out and there's slippage, both fuel efficiency and acceleration suffer. Also, you would notice that speed at a given rpm in a certain gear doesn't match the theoretical/calculated number (based on gear ratios and tyre diameter assuming correct air pressure and 195/65 R15 tyres).

If you say the mileage you are getting is fine, the plates are alright and like I said, the clutch pedal assembly only may need replacement.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 08:03   #4664
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone.

Btw. I was thinking of going to kashmere gate to buy the right tail lamp for my civic. Its broken and really spoils the look of the car. The driver side wiper rubber is damaged too.

This is the first time I'm going to kashmere gate to buy car parts. Any tips?
Can I take my car and get them installed then and there?
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 09:13   #4665
BHPian

Hi Kurt,

Dogs bit my brand new wipe blades last night! I also need to get spark plugs for my civic and a few more supplies. Lets coordinate and shop together (, that sounds feminine).....have Inboxed you the details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks