Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 10:38   #3211
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@spadix; this was conversion from TP to Comp. I can imagine a fraud there - convert junk and then claim. I am talking about renewing Comprehensive itself.
I had insured my alto for 10 years with comprehensive coverage. No issues if there isnt a break in comprehensive coverage. On the other hand for my bike for which there was a large gap for which the policy was not renewed, had to drop comprehensive and continue with TP only.
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 19:35   #3212
BHPian

I have read a lengthy discussion about suspension's overhaul, and other issues, on this great thread but can not locate it now when I am noticing thud-thud sound in my civic's suspension.

Can I be pointed to it pl?
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 14:16   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
No growl as one would expect from a CAI filter.

If it's a thud-thud sound then the struts/shocks might have worn out.
You said this in post No 2872.

I am getting a thud-thud sound from rear left. But only when the car goes over a pothole. No sound when the car goes over a speed breaker.

What could be it, folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Yes, before the shocks and springs, the things that fail are front lower arms, tie rods and ends, link kit, bushes...Most Japanese cars start showing loose characters after 60-70k kms and definitely require some suspension part or the other change at 60-1 lac kms. If parts go wrong more toward 1 lac kms, its always best to get a complete suspension overhaul at 1 lac kms, if you plan to keep the car in long run.

However, if only bushes are changed every 30-50k kms (depends on condition), it has the potential to increase the life of overall suspension by atleast 20-30k kms. So, if driven properly, the suspension can go up to 1.5 lac kms, when bushes are changed at regular interval. The problem is that no OEM sells bushes seperately. They are however available in aftermarket in case of cars such as civic.
You said this in post No 1444.

Please throw some light on the likely cause of my problem.

For one. How does one come to know that the bushes need to be changed? Does one have to believe the H.A.S.S SA if he claims so? Any telltale signs?

Last edited by skdking : 15th April 2012 at 14:25.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 17:59   #3214
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post

I am getting a thud-thud sound from rear left. But only when the car goes over a pothole. No sound when the car goes over a speed breaker.

What could be it, folks?

How does one come to know that the bushes need to be changed?
My old Ikon needed bush changes. It used to make a metallic sound over potholes. Only when I showed it to an expert garage, the issue became apparent.

If only one side of the car is making such noises, it is best to go for a check up. You can take it a local garage too, instead of taking it to HASS. They should be able to point out if it is a bush/coil/shock absorber issue.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 18:30   #3215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
For one. How does one come to know that the bushes need to be changed? Does one have to believe the H.A.S.S SA if he claims so? Any telltale signs?
When you put the car on ramp and near the bushes (Which have supposedly gone bad) try to shake things up either with a metal rod or hand you will see that there is a play, i.e. the parts would move rather than fixed. Depending on the amount of play (which translates into noise when going over bad roads) you will be able to make out how bad it is.

At times its so bad you can observe the play in the joints just by shaking things by hand. Alternatively taking an independent second opinion, not from authorized service center helps, or ask them to prove that the bushes have gone bad and they would show you the rationale behind their suggestion by doing one of the above?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 20:49   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
i have a query regarding the locking system of the civic.I have noticed that if i unlock the car open the front door either passenger or driver side and sit inside and do not start or insert the key in the ignition for within 30 seconds or 1 minute of unlocking the doors lock out again.

This however does not 'seem' to happen if i unlock the car, open the front door and close it and open/close the rear door again without inserting the key in the ignition.Does the lockout feature gets disabled if one opens the rear doors ?

thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 21:21   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the lockout feature gets disabled if one opens the rear doors ?
Yes, mine does the same.
Also I remember reading about this somewhere in the owners-manual.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 21:32   #3218
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

This however does not 'seem' to happen if i unlock the car, open the front door and close it and open/close the rear door again without inserting the key in the ignition.Does the lockout feature gets disabled if one opens the rear doors ?
I think it occurs if you open any door and shut it within a time-frame. Freaks me on the thought of leaving the key in the back seat!
Old 17th April 2012, 22:25   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I think it occurs if you open any door and shut it within a time-frame. Freaks me on the thought of leaving the key in the back seat!
No! once you open any door it does NOT lock automatically again.
That is what I remember reading from the manual, but not 100% sure.
Will post the page number if I find it.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 22:39   #3220
Senior - BHPian

It happens when some of the door switches get older and are not fully functional.

If all door switches are good, it does not auto-lock the car if you open and close any door.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 05:32   #3221
Senior - BHPian

Related to locking, i have another question. Every time i get into the car and start it locks itself once i reach ~15Kms/Hr speed, which is fine. When i stop at the signal and turn the ignition off, it unlocks itself, which i do not want so i manually lock it again. Is there some setting that lets me lock/unlock manually and disables this automatic thingy. As on signals i usually switch off the car and if its unlocked its not safe as someone can flick things from back seat and flee.

My Baleno is perfect in this case, once i lock it manually it only unlocks when i intend to.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:10   #3222
Senior - BHPian

mayank this is the price you pay for too much automation. The unlocking is a safety feature since then the car is unlocked in case of an accident. May be ECU can be programmed to disable the unlocking, but I am doubtful.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:41   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Related to locking, i have another question. Every time i get into the car and start it locks itself once i reach ~15Kms/Hr speed, which is fine.
In my 2008 model (Civic MT V), I have so far used only the remote (that comes with the key) to open or close the doors.

Once I open remotely, if I open any of the doors, the doors do not lock themselves again.

Once I open remotely, if I do not open any of the doors within 30 seconds, the doors lock themselves automatically again.

Once I start the car, the doors NEVER lock themselves when the car starts moving, unless I manually lock them with the switch.

Once I stop the car, the doors NEVER unlock themselves, unless I do it manually.

That's my experience.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 09:47   #3224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Related to locking, i have another question. Every time i get into the car and start it locks itself once i reach ~15Kms/Hr speed, which is fine. When i stop at the signal and turn the ignition off, it unlocks itself, which i do not want so i manually lock it again. Is there some setting that lets me lock/unlock manually and disables this automatic thingy. As on signals i usually switch off the car and if its unlocked its not safe as someone can flick things from back seat and flee.

My Baleno is perfect in this case, once i lock it manually it only unlocks when i intend to.
Does it unlock when you bring the key to first position or the moment you switch off the engine? Mine is an AT, which auto-unlocks only if I bring the gear lever to P. It doesn't unlock even if I switch off the engine with gear in Neutral position. I cannot take the key out as well. Had thought quite a few times that my key got stuck when trying to take it out with gear lever in N position.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:47   #3225
BHPian

After unlocking if any of the doors is opened the car does not lock itself. Could be a case of door switches going bad.
The auto-locking /unlocking of doors is programmable and the procedure is in the manual. For auto it further depends on the gear lever position and that too is programmable.
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks