Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 11:34   #3061
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
If the nut was not torqued properly, that could have been the issue. However, if you would need a new mount in future, you should definitely check the aftermarket hydraulic mount.
Yes will try mounting from outside as there's difference of 6k.

Quote:
A hard hydraulic clutch does not necessarily mean a kaput clutch. It could be possible that there is air in the clutch lines which makes it hard. Also, bad condition of clutch oil could be an issue. 1st get the clutch oil changed, I believe that should sort the hardness issue. Normally, low milage is a sympton of a worn off clutch, despite fuel filter, spark plugs and injectors are in proper condition. First check these and then look for a clutch change. You can rule out spark plugs as those in civic normally last about 100k kms, but still it wont take long to take them out and inspect them. Get the injectors cleaned and get a new fuel filter, if you have not got it changed ever. In btw, whats the OD reading on your car? Also, take a second opinion for clutch, if the second source also claims that the clutch is done, better to replace it before it damages the flywheel.
Can we change the clutch oil from aftermarket ? which brand clutch oil Is recommended ?
Fuel strainer is called fuel filter ? if so that fuel strainer/air filter/ injectors have been sorted out in 40k service, car just crossed over 43k mark.

If we talk about resale value how much 07 november model (1.8s) will fetch out ?

Quote:
Tak tak noise while turning is definitely axle. 16K for axle is not bad, believe me. That of a cedia costs 45k and that of a i10 or santro automatic costs 22k (I read somewhere here on team bhp). Most of the parts prices of cedia are under that of civic, for eg, steering assembly of civic costs 48k, that of cedia costs 35k; front pads of civic costs 5200, that of cedia costs 3400, clutch assembly of cedia costs 9k including labout, that of civic costs 12k. Thats why I though that axle should also be expensive, as it is for cedia.

Check the supplier name of aftermarket axle, google it, if its a reputed name, BUY IT.
I thought they asking too much for axle, honda is increasing prices for spares parts every year, cedia & cedia spares costs a lot man.

I'm thinking to go for aftermarket axle as it's costing 4-5k only as compared to honda price.
Thanks buddy !

Last edited by unknown : 26th March 2012 at 11:38.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:10   #3062
Senior - BHPian

It is not the axle but the Constant Velocity Joint and in my view 16k is too low. What may have happened is the the 'boot' got damaged and then muck went in.
Old 26th March 2012, 13:10   #3063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Can we change the clutch oil from aftermarket ? which brand clutch oil Is recommended ?
Yes you can easily get clutch oil at any aftermarket shop. Get any good brand of Dot 4 oil, bosch, tvs etc..

Quote:
Fuel strainer is called fuel filter ? if so that fuel strainer/air filter/ injectors have been sorted out in 40k service, car just crossed over 43k mark.
Ya thats it.

Quote:
If we talk about resale value how much 07 november model (1.8s) will fetch out ?
Dont know about Earth (your profile locations says so), but in delhi, you are looking for something around 4.7-5lacs max. I would not recommend selling it until the car is troubling you now and then or until you dont care about the resale.

Quote:
I thought they asking too much for axle, honda is increasing prices for spares parts every year
Not at all, a new axle should cost somewhat same even in US.

Quote:
I'm thinking to go for aftermarket axle as it's costing 4-5k only as compared to honda price.
I am finding even a complete axle for 4-5k in aftermarket a surprising price. Make sure that its a new axle and not the one with repaired or changed CV joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is not the axle but the Constant Velocity Joint and in my view 16k is too low. What may have happened is the the 'boot' got damaged and then muck went in.
True Sir, it is the CV joint of the axle that needs replacement but I dont think that any OEM will change only the CV joint. They sell it as complete axle assembly only.

And kaput axle at 43k driven car should definitely be because of torn boot and dirt damaging the bearings in CV joint.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th March 2012 at 13:11.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 15:43   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True Sir, it is the CV joint of the axle that needs replacement but I dont think that any OEM will change only the CV joint. They sell it as complete axle assembly only.
But natural. What is left - a couple of shafts with gears at one end. I will change the CV joint as a whole. On our Maruti's (Esteem, 2 Zens, Alto VX) they lasted for about 35k or so, the Santro is still Ok at 56k though a faint clicking is starting.
Old 26th March 2012, 16:11   #3065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
But natural. What is left - a couple of shafts with gears at one end. I will change the CV joint as a whole. On our Maruti's (Esteem, 2 Zens, Alto VX) they lasted for about 35k or so, the Santro is still Ok at 56k though a faint clicking is starting.
Thats True. I recently got left axle CV joint of my cedia changed for Rs.4,500 including labour. The boot of the CV joint went kaput in August 2011 and I figured it immidiately, which was when I got the boot changed. The joint lasted for another 6-7k kms before going kaput at over 80k on the clock.

The 800's axle was changed at 95k kms but other cars in and around family have not had any axle issues as such (swift 100k and sold), lancer (140k and strong), alto 1.1 (120k and sold), santro (80k and strong), civic (65k and strong).
Old 26th March 2012, 16:45   #3066
BHPian

Hello Experts,

I noticed that for past 2 days my Civic'10 V-MT has the first bar of the temperature guage always turned on.

Previously it was not so. After the engine cooled down completely all the bars would be gone, but now I see that this first one is permanently lit, even when I come down the next morning, when the engine has been turned off for atleast 12 hours.

However once I drive , the bars that are lit are 9 in number, so I dont think the engine is heating up, as I expect the number to go up, if the engine is getting heated up.

Does anyone have an explanation, is some hidden thing lurking there waiting to bite on my repair bills ?
Old 26th March 2012, 17:01   #3067
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster
Hello Experts,

I noticed that for past 2 days my Civic'10 V-MT has the first bar of the temperature guage always turned on.

Previously it was not so. After the engine cooled down completely all the bars would be gone, but now I see that this first one is permanently lit, even when I come down the next morning, when the engine has been turned off for atleast 12 hours.

However once I drive , the bars that are lit are 9 in number, so I dont think the engine is heating up, as I expect the number to go up, if the engine is getting heated up.

Does anyone have an explanation, is some hidden thing lurking there waiting to bite on my repair bills ?
My off hand recollection is that whenever I start in the morning it begins with 1 bar and goes up to its usual temp within 5 mins or so of driving. I cant ever recollect it being on 0 bars but now that you've mentioned this I will specifically check this tomorrow morning and let you know my experience.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:04   #3068
BANNED

Quote:
Yes you can easily get clutch oil at any aftermarket shop. Get any good brand of Dot 4 oil, bosch, tvs etc..
Could we use brake oil of mobil 1 dot4 ?[/quote]

Quote:
Dont know about Earth (your profile locations says so), but in delhi, you are looking for something around 4.7-5lacs max. I would not recommend selling it until the car is troubling you now and then or until you dont care about the resale.
ncr mate, at that price not even a vw polo medium model will come lol It's better to keep it

Quote:
Not at all, a new axle should cost somewhat same even in US.
Do you know where I can find part number for our asian civic for axle ?
Thinking to order it online.

Quote:
I am finding even a complete axle for 4-5k in aftermarket a surprising price. Make sure that its a new axle and not the one with repaired or changed CV joint.
I don't know how to find out that so i'm thinking to get it new from online, to avoid the hassle.

Quote:
And kaput axle at 43k driven car should definitely be because of torn boot and dirt damaging the bearings in CV joint.
It's not advisable to get the bearing clean & install new boot rubber on faulty axle ?

Last edited by unknown : 26th March 2012 at 18:24.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:25   #3069
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post

Previously it was not so.
What you are currently experiencing is normal. The temperature gauge starts with one bar lit.

I suppose there was some electronic error in your car due to which temperature gauge was starting at all-unlit during cold starts. That might have got rectified by some means. Did you change the battery anytime soon?
Old 26th March 2012, 20:27   #3070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
What you are currently experiencing is normal. The temperature gauge starts with one bar lit.

I suppose there was some electronic error in your car due to which temperature gauge was starting at all-unlit during cold starts. That might have got rectified by some means. Did you change the battery anytime soon?
No, I did not do anything to the car. Nothing changed, I have given it to the service folks at Dakshin Honda. Let me see what they come out with.
Old 26th March 2012, 22:52   #3071
BHPian

People,

What are these bulbs called in trade language?

My Civic has one fused one.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-2007hondacivic001.jpg  

Old 26th March 2012, 22:57   #3072
BHPian

@skdking

its called as parking light bulb
say to the shopkeeper "parking light bulb/parking bulb headlight ka"
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:58   #3073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
People,

What are these bulbs called in trade language?

My Civic has one fused one.
I believe those are called daytime running lights bulbs or DRL bulbs. At least that is what they are called here in USA.

Last edited by Gujarati : 26th March 2012 at 23:00.
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 11:18   #3074
BHPian

Can somebody advise me about where in Bangalore, I can source after-market front bumpers? Not the OEM ones, but something that looks better. Something like what you see in these pics.

http://www.motorheader.com/forum/att...1&d=1290426077

http://www.motorheader.com/forum/att...1&d=1322067712

Last edited by civic-sense : 27th March 2012 at 11:19.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:02   #3075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@skdking

its called as parking light bulb
say to the shopkeeper "parking light bulb/parking bulb headlight ka"
Thanks, Jatin.

Any idea what the technical name/number/nomenclature of this bulb in Civic is?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks