Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 09:05   #3031
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

During my recent trip to Madras on the GQ, in certain curves while the car was turning, for the first time I heard a mild howling sound from outside.

First I thought that one of the windows is slightly open, but I found none were open.

In a second such event, I realized that the howling sound is coming from the tyres at another curve; I could hear the sound even though the windows were fully closed and the CD was playing at a moderate volume.

Any idea if this normal? Should I change the tyres?

The equipment has done 39,700 kms - and there are two punctures in one of the wheels. In most of these curves, I normally turn at a speed of about 120-130 kmph (that's what I've been doing for 4 years now so this speed is not new).

Any feedback would be useful. Thanks.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:37   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
In a second such event, I realized that the howling sound is coming from the tyres at another curve; I could hear the sound even though the windows were fully closed and the CD was playing at a moderate volume.

The noise doesnt seem normal. If you have the stock good years on your ride, they are known for road noise after 20-25k on the clock. If the tires still have enough tread left for 5-7k kms, keep driving the car for about 5k kms and then get them changed. But ideal life of these tire is 35-40k kms, especially considering they wear out more at rear in civic because of soft suspension, the alignment of which goes out real quick.

Quote:
In most of these curves, I normally turn at a speed of about 120-130 kmph
If you carry such speeds on curves on stock tires, I would definitely ask you to change the stock tires with something with more grip. Also, such speeds on 40k run 195s in civic is not safe. Please restrict your speed till you get a new set of tires.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 21st March 2012 at 10:38.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 10:44   #3033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
The noise doesnt seem normal. If you have the stock good years on your ride, they are known for road noise after 20-25k on the clock. If the tires still have enough tread left for 5-7k kms, keep driving the car for about 5k kms and then get them changed. But ideal life of these tire is 35-40k kms, especially considering they wear out more at rear in civic because of soft suspension, the alignment of which goes out real quick.

If you carry such speeds on curves on stock tires, I would definitely ask you to change the stock tires with something with more grip. Also, such speeds on 40k run 195s in civic is not safe. Please restrict your speed till you get a new set of tires.
My daily, weekday commute (both ways) is only 7 kms.

The tyres are those that came with the equipment - Michellin Energy.

In any case I am planning to send the vehicle for servicing - 40K - in April, so I'll request them to check this aspect thoroughly.

The howling sound did not appear when I was driving on a straight stretch - it appeared - that too only thrice - when I was taking a turn.

Last edited by Tempelhof : 21st March 2012 at 10:48.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:46   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
During my recent trip to Madras on the GQ, in certain curves while the car was turning, for the first time I heard a mild howling sound from outside.
First I thought that one of the windows is slightly open, but I found none were open.
Any feedback would be useful. Thanks.
Howling sound especially when it comes while turning can be issue with your wheel bearings. It is best to get it checked. with only 40k miles wheel bearings should not go bad but you never know.
Gujarati is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 10:54   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
I would definitely ask you to change the stock tires with something with more grip.
Given my style of driving (high speeds/acceleration/deceleration) which would be the best set of tyres? make and Model Please?
Old 21st March 2012, 10:58   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyres are those that came with the equipment - Michellin Energy.

In any case I am planning to send the vehicle for servicing - 40K - in April, so I'll request them to check this aspect thoroughly.
It is unlikely that the Michelin Energy will have road noise, especially when you compare them with the lousy stock goodyears, but the tires are 4 year old and have 40k on the clock. So, it can be the tires.

Quote:
The howling sound did not appear when I was driving on a straight stretch - it appeared - that too only thrice - when I was taking a turn.
Apart from tires, it can a loose fender lining hitting the tire on curve and making noise. The wheel well of civic is big and even 225 cross sections do not hit the fender lining, if its installed properly.

Quote:
Given my style of driving (high speeds/acceleration/deceleration) which would be the best set of tyres? make and Model Please?
In 15 inch, you only have Michelin PLC, Yokohama AVS db v550 and Bridgestone ER60, which are better than Michelin energy and are for decent performance. Apart from these, you have A-Drives (known for not so good wet grip), C-Drives and Bridgestone ER300. If you upgrade to 16 inch rim, you get more performance tire options including Yokohama S-Drives and A-Drive R1s but these are rotation tires and have road noise. The best option would be a PLC or a v550, if you want decent performace and no road noise.

Please check the following thread for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...s-upgrade.html

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 21st March 2012 at 11:16.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 11:08   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from tires, it can a loose fender lining hitting the tire on curve and making noise. The wheel well of civic is big and even 225 cross sections do not hit the fender lining, if its installed properly.
I always give the equipment for a general check-up before I go on long drives (especially because of the speeds at which I normally drive) - so I don't think the tyre is coming into contact with anything. Interesting observation though !!
Old 21st March 2012, 12:55   #3038
Team-BHP Support

Re: RC book change

Went to the RTO today. Based on feedback from several agents, I understand that the RTO does not ordinarily approve color changes any more as internal policy. That's quite a bummed out situation. Tried meeting someone senior from RTO to get their permission / understand this better but they were not available.

If anyone knows more about this or has any constructive suggestions (including any contacts who could help), please do let me know. I am keen for all paperwork to be in order.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Axe,

Have you indicated this change in the RC book and insurance papers ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Congrats Axe77. Linkway has done a good job.

I suggest you should get the new color updated in RC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Thanks guys. Yes. I am initiating the RC book change and insurance change both. Taking the opportunity to change address as well on RC book so combining the process.

Cheers
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 13:06   #3039
BHPian

Quote:
Re: RC book change

Went to the RTO today. Based on feedback from several agents, I understand that the RTO does not ordinarily approve color changes any more as internal policy. That's quite a bummed out situation. Tried meeting someone senior from RTO to get their permission / understand this better but they were not available.

If anyone knows more about this or has any constructive suggestions (including any contacts who could help), please do let me know. I am keen for all paperwork to be in order.

thanks
Why dont you tell Linkway Honda or your insurance people to help you out with it ?

I am sure linkway can get it done for you as they have contacts in RTO.
Provide RTO with sufficient reason for the color change.

on that note
how did the insurance guys agreed for a color change ?
Old 21st March 2012, 14:04   #3040
Senior - BHPian

I thought colour change is proposed to be taken out of the RTO purview. They will only have to be informed and no permission required.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:07   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

on that note
how did the insurance guys agreed for a color change ?
I don't think insurance companies care about color of the car. I recently renewed my insurance online with Bajaj Allianz and there was no option to mention the color of the car anywhere on the web form. Earlier insurance was with Tata AIG and they never responded for renewal quotes.
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:12   #3042
Team-BHP Support

Thank you all. Here is the update.

I personally went to the RTO (tardeo) yesterday. Process so far.

Filled up form BT/BTI, stating that the modification carried out was a change of color.

Got a stamp from counter 66 that basically confirms my car number is not involved in any police case etc.

Thereafter I got an order from deputy RTO (I think, can't remember exact designation), who blessed the change subject to payment of fine of formal penalty of INR 300 on account of change without prior permission.

All the officials were extremely quick to assist and cooperative so far. I hope this was the most crucial aspect of the process and the rest should work on auto pilot.

Next steps:

I believe I now have to pay the fine at a particular counter (90 i think) and then show the vehicle to one police officer who sits there along with RC book, PUC and insurance copy. Dont know precisely what happens after that but I suspect a new RC book will be sent reflecting the change. I will post a full update only once the entire process is completed to assist anyone else who wishes to make the same changes.

PS: so far everything I have done right from collection of forms has been completely on my own without any interface with any agents. Going forward I may involve an agent because I also want to simultaneously effect a change of address on my RC book at one shot.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd March 2012 at 05:20.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:20   #3043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you all. Here is the update.

I personally went to the RTO (tardeo) yesterday. Process so far.
You haven't greased anybody's palms yet? I thought we have to carry a bucketful of industrial grade grease whenever we visit RTO.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:54   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Tardeo RTO is generally ok. If one is a member of WIAA also, things are pretty easy by and large. But glad you had a nice experience, half the time it seems it is our phobia of procedures that makes us go to the agents/touts.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:20   #3045
BHPian

Today I gave my Civic for 35K service. There were not major issues or niggles but I need clarification on some points,

1. Service advisor was insisting on compulsory Engine dressing which costs INR 650/-. I denied it but I just want to know whether it is really necessary.

2. My OE head unit is reading and playing tracks normally but its not switching discs. Honda A.S.S quoted 4K for addressing the same. Are there any other options?

3. I have a slightly damaged front bumper and small dents & scratches all over the body. Should I be going in for reputed private garage or give it at Honda A.S.S? anyway I planning to claim insurance.

Please advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks