Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 21:47   #1576
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Got 4 Bridgestone Touranza ER300 tyres of size 195/65 R15 for civic today. Total Cost 20400 including alignment and balancing. Decided for Bridgestone as they have 2 ply and noise levels are also acceptable. The old goodyears went loud after 22-23km but lasted for good 43k kms, though the last 5k kms was a stretch. So, the noisy character of good years kept us away from it. Further, my cousin doesnt care a lot about small potholes,hence, the Yokohama and Michelins too went of from the list.

Again I suggested 205/60s for the car but its very difficult to justify additional cost of bigger tire and slightly less FE to a non-enthusiast.

@Hiren, yes, most motor cares are greesy.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 19th April 2011 at 21:49.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:12   #1577
BHPian

Ok boys and to all the civic owners like me, finally after 3 and half years living with my civic and always complaining about the soft suspension, I have got rid of all my problems. I have been researching, reading, asking so many people how to fix it, read reviews but didnt find one from a person who had actually installed, these were all internet reviews or people's views based on whatever.

Finally I have installed Koni's FSD (frequency selective Dampers) entire write-up for all the readers is available on koni's official site, I will give you my first hand experience.

I had to wait for almost 4 weeks since I decided to insall it in my car as Koni FSD was out of stock world wide (started with banglore- methods is official dealer, hkg, singapore, usa etc), the wait got over last week when i received them in mumbai through methods banglore.

Now i was so dying to get them install, i drove from delhi to mumbai as i was away in my car for some work, after a good 22 hrs drive tired and sleepy the guy was on my door from Linkway Honda for my car pick, i was relieved and my tiredness went away just dreaming how the performance will be.

The rear shocks are straight replacement where as the front they go into the original setup but they have to cut the struts (i think the rings to fit koni's), this means for the front you can never go back to the original shocks, you have to buy entirely new parts (but hello who wants to go back to that setup).

Now the stuff is installed and they had to align the car as they had removed the tyres, i just cant wait, but they still have to wash my car and hand it over, my desperation is beyond anyones imagination, so the guy took out and just did a spin in the compound, there were good pot holes, uneven roads, i was standing out and the car was just flying,there was a big smile on my face.

Result:
- value for money (it will cost you around Rs 47k) + labour cost extra.
- all the problems are adderresed almost completely of understeering, bodyroll, feel of unstability of the car on corners specifically when there are uneven roads on a high speed bend.
- I have driven on bad roads and everytime i use to approach them i had to break, but now i dont care, the car goes smoothly on them, i feel as though there are no bad roads. But as someone who looks after his car be careful with ugly craters, bad roads etc, which you will do with any car.
- I havent experienced any bottoming out with 2 people in the car and with some luggage in the boot, i did a trip to alibaugh recently with some ghats, the cornering was much better.
- We all will agree the civic has a extra bounce in the rear when you cross a bump, now it just crosses and stands tall with no bounce whatsoever.
- Mumbai roads are very bad and mostly all the flyovers have a dip or joint or uneven elevation when you approach them, the car use to bottom out with me being alone, but now no such thing.
- My recommendation with that reasonable price, if you have the money, if you plan to keep the car, order now.
- Life time warrantly on Koni FSD.

I wish honda had installed them as stock.

In addition to the above job I recommend if you have K n N typhoon kit go for full synthetic Shell Helix engine oil ( you can do for your car anyways) with mugen oil filter, i just did that.

I have also installed Remus single burnt tip exhaust. this has taken care of my mid range low torgue completely.

Now only waiting for ECU remap.

Cheers.

Last edited by The Saint : 20th April 2011 at 17:18.
The Saint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 19:36   #1578
dot
Senior - BHPian

@The Saint, congratulations. Thanks for updating us with your experience with the Koni suspension setup. Looks like it was an extremely useful mod. Something many of us talk about but little first hand knowledge.

Couple of questions

1. The modification was done at Linkway Honda? They were ok to install non OEM parts?

2. How did you contact Methods. How was your experience there.

Any pictures you have of the installations.

Apart from the bottoming out issue, the ride has become less bumpy. That means that going over potholes is a less bouncy, more of a gliding affair or hard joggy feeling. I am just trying to understand what the suspension has done to the ride.
Old 21st April 2011, 00:33   #1579
Senior - BHPian

@saint first of all congratulations. I guess you are the first on Team-BHP to get koni's for the civic.
Looking forward to update with a full load or atleast 4 onboard with luggage.
If this can take the load and clear high or badly designed speed.breakers then will be game for this in the future.
Also is therr any difference in the GC? Is the car standing taller than before?
Old 21st April 2011, 06:54   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Saint. I would also strengthen the suspensions first when I plan to modify my Civic instead of adding up more power and/or torque. Suspension is clearly the weak point of this car and unless that is addressed there is no real use of increased power. Let me know your contacts in Methods, Bangalore. I will order my set directly from them.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:58   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Many congrats Saint! You've solved the Civic's biggest problem.
I am also, along with many others, keen to know how did you convince Linkway to install these onto your car.

Many months ago when I contacted Methods I was also given the same rate but then no stocks were available.

Did you inquire about Koni Yellows? I've heard good things about them as well, and they should be cheaper than FSD.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:25   #1582
BHPian

Thanks, I have a very dear friend at Linkway, all my modifications I do with him, infact my remus exhaust was also installed by him, by the way he is a parsi guy, very down to earth person.

It was out of stock world wide, if you ask for some discount @ methods you might get lucky, now Konis are in stock.

I have heard about the yellows they are one version lower than FSD, they have 2 knobs in the front for adjustment and I think they cost around 36k INR, FSD has mind of its own and you dont need to adjust anything, the adjust themselves according to the impact they get from the road,isnt that so cool, w/o sensors or anything, I truly love them.

If you plan to keep the car for another 2 years or so then spend this money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Many congrats Saint! You've solved the Civic's biggest problem.
I am also, along with many others, keen to know how did you convince Linkway to install these onto your car.

Many months ago when I contacted Methods I was also given the same rate but then no stocks were available.

Did you inquire about Koni Yellows? I've heard good things about them as well, and they should be cheaper than FSD.
The Saint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 12:27   #1583
BHPian

Please get in touch with Suraj, his mobile number is 9986656556, you can give him my reference, Vikram from Mumbai. All the best and yes go for the suspension first because all the added power will make you feel worse due to the current suspension set up.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Congrats Saint. I would also strengthen the suspensions first when I plan to modify my Civic instead of adding up more power and/or torque. Suspension is clearly the weak point of this car and unless that is addressed there is no real use of increased power. Let me know your contacts in Methods, Bangalore. I will order my set directly from them.
The Saint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 12:34   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@The Saint, congratulations. Thanks for updating us with your experience with the Koni suspension setup. Looks like it was an extremely useful mod. Something many of us talk about but little first hand knowledge.

Couple of questions

1. The modification was done at Linkway Honda? They were ok to install non OEM parts?

2. How did you contact Methods. How was your experience there.

Any pictures you have of the installations.

Apart from the bottoming out issue, the ride has become less bumpy. That means that going over potholes is a less bouncy, more of a gliding affair or hard joggy feeling. I am just trying to understand what the suspension has done to the ride.
As i mentioned i have a dear friend at linkway, i will always prefer to do my modification there, maybe I am a lucky guy, infact if you all remember a 300BHP mariwala's honda accord in Mumbai which finally had a total loss was somewhat modified by the same friend at linkway.

Methods I contacted through info available on distributor network on the Koni worldwise site, they are the only ones importing Koni, mixed experience but I guess I was restless to install and the product was out of stock, but all ended well. good to deal with. I havent clicked much pictures but I think would have one or 2 of the rear shocks, let me see and I will upload them.

I dont think GC has changed a lot, some breakers are car breakers cant do anything when you cross them, the ride is more stable, going over potholes now is very well controlled (the earlier feeling of the car being all over the place is no more).

I also request all please dont go gaga about linkway has done these mods, I dont want my friend to be in any kind of trouble, I expect your cooperation i this matter.

Cheers
The Saint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:45   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
As i mentioned i have a dear friend at linkway, i will always prefer to do my modification there, maybe I am a lucky guy, infact if you all remember a 300BHP mariwala's honda accord in Mumbai which finally had a total loss was somewhat modified by the same friend at linkway.

I also request all please dont go gaga about linkway has done these mods, I dont want my friend to be in any kind of trouble, I expect your cooperation i this matter.

Cheers
Saint, don't worry our lips are sealed!
Hope you have a great time in your Koni'd Civic. I wish I could install that in my car.

Cheers
Old 25th April 2011, 11:35   #1586
BHPian

Hi,

Further latest update, we were 5 adults in the car on Friday evening weighing more than 400kgs in the car, south mumbai to andheri with all kinds of roads including flyover no bottoming out whatsoever, it was just great, we were doing atleast 100km/hr.

I guess with this all the queres are answered, but incase you still want to have more details then let me know.

Koni rocks
The Saint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 11:53   #1587
Senior - BHPian

How are the Konis different from the TEINS that Red Rooster installs? I was told that Red Rooster has some electronics to control the suspensions. I read that Konis does some kind of correction by itself based on the road conditions.

Can some one enlighten about the aspects. Konis - thanks to TheSaint we have first hand information.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:31   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
How are the Konis different from the TEINS that Red Rooster installs? I was told that Red Rooster has some electronics to control the suspensions. I read that Konis does some kind of correction by itself based on the road conditions.
If I remember right, the TEINS from Red Rooster have 16 settings. You can either buy electronic settings and pay 90k or buy manual settings for 65k. The settings will alloy you to raise/drop; harden/soften the suspension manually/electronically.

These Konis too should have some level of settings (atleast the ride hight one), which can be done rotating the lever under the springs for in most adjustable coilovers.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th April 2011 at 18:34.
Old 29th April 2011, 10:24   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Got 4 Bridgestone Touranza ER300 tyres of size 195/65 R15 for civic today. Total Cost 20400 including alignment and balancing. Decided for Bridgestone as they have 2 ply and noise levels are also acceptable. The old goodyears went loud after 22-23km but lasted for good 43k kms, though the last 5k kms was a stretch. So, the noisy character of good years kept us away from it. Further, my cousin doesnt care a lot about small potholes,hence, the Yokohama and Michelins too went of from the list.

Again I suggested 205/60s for the car but its very difficult to justify additional cost of bigger tire and slightly less FE to a non-enthusiast.

@Hiren, yes, most motor cares are greesy.
I am also approaching for the Tyre change for my civic. I was thinking for the same make can you please suggest if you are finally happy with them and what is the change you have seen don't want any comparison with michelin or yoko.
Old 29th April 2011, 10:28   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Can some one enlighten about the aspects. Konis - thanks to TheSaint we have first hand information.
I have been researching this for quite some time and have decided to go for Koni FSD instead of TEIN SS from RRP. Tein SS are coilover sets and are said to be more sporty (read: more stiff) than the Koni FSD. Of course it is adjustable and you will need a few rounds of adjustments till you get the required balance of ride and handling. And the Teins cost about 90k without EDFC which cost an additional 30k or so. It is double that of Koni FSD and given the driving conditions for me, I dont think I need to stretch to that level. Koni FSDs are self adjusted and does not require any manual changes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks