Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 12:36   #1561
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thanks everyone, glad it was a useful post.

I remember that @vasoo paid about 500 bucks.

Yes I paid Rs550. But that was for replacing a broken mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
BTW, I got the autorunner coil spring adjusters installed in my car. I meant to update that thread with pics but looks like this mod has fallen foul with most posters.
So far I've not had any reasons to complain, the ride is slightly firm and thuds have become quite muted. I am yet to drive the car on full load but so far so good.

Cheers
Good to know that. Let us know your long term experience. Personally, I would never do any such "patch work" jobs for a critical element such as suspension on my new car. My feeling is that this will have a negative impact on the longevity of the springs. I am waiting for some funds to be arranged so that I can replace my dampers with something like Koni FSD. Will write about that once installed.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:47   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Good to know that. Let us know your long term experience. Personally, I would never do any such "patch work" jobs for a critical element such as suspension on my new car. My feeling is that this will have a negative impact on the longevity of the springs. I am waiting for some funds to be arranged so that I can replace my dampers with something like Koni FSD. Will write about that once installed.
@vasoo: I presume you have the facelifted Civic since we bought our cars the same time around. Is the suspension bottoming out issue pronounced in your car as well that you are looking out for a solution ?
Old 16th April 2011, 19:44   #1563
dot
Senior - BHPian

Dont know how to explain this. Part embarrassed, part curious to discuss my observations.

Opened the bonnet today after a long time to check oil levels. I think the last time I did this was in Jan (I know, I know). Was shocked to see a thick coating of dust on the engine bay. Dust layer had settled on everything. Engine, pipes, housings, battery. It was shameful.

Naturally cleaned up as much as I could.

What surprised me was the amount of dust accumulation. If I compare this with Ikon, I never noticed so much junk settling in the Ikon engine bay, even after long intervals. I don't think dust levels in Pune atmosphere has increased dramatically over the last one year. All other external factors (parking spots, distance traveled, places traveled etc) also seems to invariant.

The only thing I could come up was that Civic engine bay has better air circulation. More air comes in, therefore more dust comes in, so more dust settles.

Maybe this is nonsense, I am trying to justify my laziness. Have any of you observed anything similar?
Old 16th April 2011, 21:12   #1564
Senior - BHPian

@dot that is an interesting observation.
You know i had the civic serviced last month. In which i had the engine bay detailed by 3m, they did a fantastic job. So what i am going to do is run down tomorrow morning and check out the engine bay to see how dusty its gotten. Will post details tomorrow.
Old 16th April 2011, 22:29   #1565
Senior - BHPian

@dot - your observation is right. I have felt the accumulation was too much for my comfort given the time span. But then I love to work on my car, so it gives me some time to care her.
Old 17th April 2011, 13:24   #1566
Senior - BHPian

I keep my hands away from the engine bay area and I don't even bother to check oil levels and such like at all, relying more on the feel of the engine. If I feel something is amiss I open the hood and check the fluid levels. I think this is because of the overdose of "filling the radiator with water" in the family's old Fiat/Premier days .

That said, I couldn't find too much difference between the dust-gathering abilities of the 800's and Civic's engine bay areas. Both are equally bad.

Secondly, Hyderabad tends to be very dusty and especially the area I stay in currently is seeing sustained construction activity and there are practically no well-surfaced roads to speak of. Ambient dust levels are very high (enough to cause respiratory problems in some children, from what I hear).

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th April 2011, 13:55   #1567
Senior - BHPian

@spadix; You are a brave man. You will not know until the oil level is quite a bit below the minimum!
Old 18th April 2011, 13:59   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@spadix; You are a brave man. You will not know until the oil level is quite a bit below the minimum!
True :(.

By the way, one tell-tale sign is an oil leak where the car's parked. I'm happy as long as I don't see anything there.

Second is the the oil level/pressure indicator in the dash.

I keep an eye out for these two too, in addition to the "feel" bit.

I understand though that none of these is a substitute for physically checking the oil level.

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th April 2011, 14:07   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Yes i was suppose to open up the bonnet and report about the dust accumalation yesterday but as usual time did not permit.
Anyways opened up the bonnet this morning.
Here are the findings ~
Had got the civic serviced about a month ago. In which the 3m motor care engine bay detailing was done. So the engine bay was stonking new. I remember it was not even this clean when we bought the civic.
Now dust has collected in the engine bay but one can see that its only the front side which has dust collected on it. While the back and parts of the engine which are not directly visible from the front are still better off with little or no dust accumalated there.
Now this is not purely city driving findings as we had quite a few highway trips since the service.
From goa, meherabad, to smaller trips like lonavla and Jadhavgadh.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:03   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Had got the civic serviced about a month ago. In which the 3m motor care engine bay detailing was done. So the engine bay was stonking new. I remember it was not even this clean when we bought the civic.
Now dust has collected in the engine bay but one can see that its only the front side which has dust collected on it. While the back and parts of the engine which are not directly visible from the front are still better off with little or no dust accumalated there.
I guess dust is an all India problem. Here in Bombay things are so bad, immediately after washing the car I can see a fine layer of dust already.

mdsaab, how much did you pay for the engine treatment?

Now that my car is nearing a year with me thinking of getting some small cosmetic mods done. Quite like ACE's thread where he has got his stock rims painted in matte black, planning something similar.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:56   #1571
Senior - BHPian

@hiren.mistry believe it or not the motor care package from 3M only cost 400 odd rupees. Got it done when the car was in for service. @dot has the pic of the engine when it was done. @dot if possible please upload.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:03   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Many service stations use motor care during service, which is supposed to protect the engine. However, motor care also attracts a lot of dust in itself. Why I can say this is because VW doesnot use Motor care and the engine even after 15k kms remains lot less dirty, whereas Honda and Mitsubishi use motor care and the engine bay attacts a lot more dust within 3-4k kms.

Honda charges about 450 for the motor care and Mitsubishi about 400.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th April 2011 at 21:06.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:12   #1573
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
However, motor care also attracts a lot of dust in itself. Why I can say this is because VW doesnot use Motor care and the engine even after 15k kms remains lot less dirty, whereas Honda and Mitsubishi use motor care and the engine bay attacts a lot more dust within 3-4k kms.
You may have a point there. The Motor care engine treatment was done in Dec at Honda Service Station. So in the last 3-4 months, it had picked up abnormal amount of dust.

@mdsaab, here is the picture of your Civic's pristine engine bay about a month back.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-25032011307.jpg
Old 19th April 2011, 14:29   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
@hiren.mistry believe it or not the motor care package from 3M only cost 400 odd rupees. Got it done when the car was in for service. @dot has the pic of the engine when it was done. @dot if possible please upload.
Thats it? Only 400, I am surely getting it done. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
You may have a point there. The Motor care engine treatment was done in Dec at Honda Service Station. So in the last 3-4 months, it had picked up abnormal amount of dust.

@mdsaab, here is the picture of your Civic's pristine engine bay about a month back.
Was the surface greasy post the treatment? If yes that would be reason why a lot of dust would have stuck to it.
Thanks DOT for posting the pic.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:11   #1575
Senior - BHPian

The finish was a lot like dashboard polish. Giving the engine bay a nice shine. I didn't actually touch it, but i guess it might have been greasy.
Thanks @dot for the pic upload.

Last edited by mdsaab : 19th April 2011 at 17:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks