Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2005, 12:20   #1
BANNED

Car Roll ??

Hey guys, gud to b back again .. had gone up 2 my farm and just got back this morning . I have a problem which needs instant replies ----- I didnt notice this problem earlier as my car hasn't left the confines of the city since Nov .... When parking my car I don't have the habit of using my hand brake as I learnt on a jeep and those didnt have anything known as a HAND BRAKE , so I guess that habit has been with me for the last 15 yrs. Now usually in the hills even when parking on a steep incline I just put the car into 1st gear or reverse depending which direction Im facing and the car stands parked the way I left it ... But strangely on this trip when I parked my car in 1st with the engine off it started jerking and rolling forward, then i tried putting it in reverse while facing downhill but it still rolled !! It kinda scared the **** out of me as this has never happened before...

Now my question is as to why did this happen and cud there b sumthing majorly wrong that I need to get checked ..... On the same spot I tried parking other cars and all stood still .......

So fellas pls help me here ... I just got 4 days in dli b4 I again dissapear up into the mountains for a few months. Another thing is that the exhaust pipe developed a hole for no reason ... any answers as 2 why that happened too ....

keep writing , and dom if u around pls HELP !!!

cheers

P.S - really miss being online when back of beyond ... totally addicted I guess !!
Old 29th March 2005, 13:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

handbrakes on modern car r there for a reason, USE IT !!

as to why it happens, the resistance from engine n tranny is not good enough for the inclines of the mountain..

another option carry some boulders to arrest the tyres

Hole in the exhaust can be anything from underbody hit to corrosion.
Old 29th March 2005, 13:23   #3
BANNED

Jaggu, no resistance from engine -- so its nothing to b scared about ? I have just been worrying for nuthig .. but then howcome the palio 1.2 does not have the same problem ??

cheers
Old 29th March 2005, 13:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Or, another reason could be that your clutch isn't able to withstand the sort of turning force, the weight of the car and the degree of incline/slope combine, to offer.

Were all the wheels rolling or was the car sliding?

Using the handbrake and the gear is a must in such conditions.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 29th March 2005 at 13:37.
Old 29th March 2005, 13:39   #5
BANNED

wheels started rolling ....
Old 29th March 2005, 14:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Khaddu,

Could be a couple of reasons -
1. Maybe now that your engine has opened up a bit there is less resistance provided by the engine...and hence the car rolling is due to the engine turning over (kinda like what you do in a push start)
2. The clutch is worn and slipping...how many km has your car done?
3. The slope was just more extreme than you normally park on

cya
R
Old 29th March 2005, 14:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rehaan just wondering. If the engine is letting the car roll, wouldn't that make all the components in the engine move as well? Like the pistons n stuff? Is that safe and what sort of lubrication will the engine have at that point?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 29th March 2005 at 14:41.
Old 29th March 2005, 14:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

most of the cars will roll, usually will roll as in jerk for atleast 1 or 2 times and might come to a stop depending on how steep, then again if u try leaning on the vehicle it can again jerk forward, its common..

while parking on an incline, lock wheels to one side (away from the road direction), put gear, apply hand brake and ideally if u have a kerb make sure the wheels are resting on them..

wrt damage to internalls, will be minimal atleast much lesser compared to the friction damamge caused by push start.. and engine n other parts will still have oil trapped unless parked for very long duration as in weeks.. even when u crank the engine is moving at a faster rate compared to this jerk phenomenon at parking...

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th March 2005 at 14:37.
Old 29th March 2005, 14:58   #9
BANNED

Guys, my car has done about 55,000 kms. It was like a rolling start, jerky forward roll . And it wasnt an incline that I hadnt parked on earlier . Usually after one or two jerks the car stops but this time it just refused to stop !!! I guess ill have to check the clutch condition .... but its just strange as i parked my cuz 1.2 on the same spot and it didnt budge even an inch .... i also tried Bolero, Van, palio 1.2, baleno, Ikon 1.6 ... but none budged !!

cheers
Old 29th March 2005, 17:27   #10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hmmmmm case sounds interesting

IF CARS ROLL DOWN SLOPES
USE NATURES ANSWERS "BOULDERS"
Old 29th March 2005, 17:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey khadu i think its time to change that car.....
just kidding i totally agree with what jaggu said...has happened to me too, but not what happened to you.
get it checked...could be the clutch.
Old 30th March 2005, 01:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Slippin clutch for sure buddy, youve been doing too many uphill rides on a low gear+clutch combination over 55k kms?
Old 30th March 2005, 01:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Hey Rehaan just wondering. If the engine is letting the car roll, wouldn't that make all the components in the engine move as well? Like the pistons n stuff? Is that safe and what sort of lubrication will the engine have at that point?
Hey Shan,

If the rolling car is making the engine turn over, it basically means the engine is being "cranked" by the slope instead of the starter motor. Exactly like in a push start. However, in this case its at a much slower rate (and im guessing each jerk would be at about 1/2 a revolution where the (air) resistance of the compression stroke slow the car down a bit), so judging by that if Khaddu says 2-3jerks it just means 1or2 revolutions.

Try it yourself, if you park on a slight slope in 4th gear you will be able to push a car and hear the engine turning over slowly (not the most pleasant sound though).
Once when we were in school my friends and me "reparked" a teachers car coz she parked in 4th gear so we just managed to push it to a diferent location!

cya
R

ps - khaddu, as autopsyche says, you have definitely pushed this car hard on all sorts of terrain, and now that you say 55k....check the clutch. And IF its not a clutch problem then maybe the fact that your 1.2/baleno etc are newer and hence the engines provide more resistance is the reason they do not roll in the same place. cya
Old 30th March 2005, 14:32   #14
BANNED

Guys, thanx ...!! will head to auto psyche's work shop to get the clutch checked !! Though the clutch has not given any indication of being worn out !!!

cheers

PS - My clutch is used lesser in hill driving than in city conditions as roads dont allow me to shift into high gears at all ... so its 2nd and 3rd most of the way !!
Old 2nd April 2005, 12:21   #15

Always Park The Car In The Reverse Gear And Never In Any Other Gear Since You Are Keeping The Car Stopped By Using Gear Lock, Also When You Engage The Gear Just Wait For A Moment And Stop The Car With The Help Of The Brake Since There Will Be A Free Play Between The Gears, However If The Rotation Or Roll Is Heavy The Gear Jumps And It Rollls. Get Your Clutch Checked And Get The Habit Of Using Parking Brake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks