Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 12:37   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But, is it something specific to this car that it happens a lot ? Has to happened to any others (make or model) ?
Nothing specific to this car as such. This can happen with any car, following the actions which Jaggu has mentioned above.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Has happened with my swift, zen, esteem, iKon and once with Crv's disc's also (minor one). Its a very common phenomenon with drum brakes in humid conditions.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

dry-ving ? !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Yes... very common!...come from a long drive... go into a water logged area/ some pool of water... park the car with the hand brake engaged. And next morning the rear wheels would be stuck...
"drying" the brake pads may help in avoiding this situation . Immediately after a pressure wash or after driving thru water-logged roads, drive slowly and simultaneously apply the brakes partially. This will cause the break pads/drums to heat up and remove all the residual water. This will also ensure that the breaks dont fail us when we quickly need to stop after crossing a water-logged stretch.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:55   #19
BHPian

I too faced the same problem in this rainy season. i called my mechanic, he opened the rear wheel and the drum, cleaned it and lubricated it. i thought it was jammed becoz of mud accumalating and creating rust on it. Becoz when he opened the drum brakes it was totally dried up inside with little rusty area around. After that no problem at all. But then i stopped using hand brakes while in parking lot as i felt it maybe boecoz i use hand brake when it is parked and i dont use it daily so. But touchwood no problem till now.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:35   #20
BHPian

This thread has been a real eye opener. Will surely think twice about leaving the car parked using the hand brakes after a wash.
Old 1st November 2008, 11:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

I faced this problem in my Scorpio during this season's monsoon. Left the truck parked for two days while I was using the Safari.

When I started the Scorpio and engaged the gear and tried to move forward, it moved but there was this 'khat' sound from the rear. It happened then and once again after 3 weeks when again it was parked for two days. I didn't pay much attention to this and this never occurred again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Now that I come to think of it, it might have happened once before last year. When I tried to take the car out after it was stationary for a week, it felt as if the same wheel was locked, but that was just for a second, there was a “khat” sound and the wheel became free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But, is it something specific to this car that it happens a lot ? Has to happened to any others (make or model) ?
Old 1st November 2008, 11:38   #22
Team-BHP Support

How long was it between the time the car was built and actual delivery. It could have been standing in water during the monsoons
Old 8th December 2008, 17:53   #23
BHPian

Don't be gentle !

Quote:
I engaged first gear and tried to move forward, the car simply refused to budge. It jerked as if hand brake was engaged. I check the hand brake, it was already released. I tried to reverse, it jolted again.
I too was struck down by this wet-drum-brake affliction recently - only in my case I'd waded through standing water during a recent rain-shower spell here in Chennai.

Quote:
He said “aap drum pe chot maaro”, in other words, strike the wheel drum repeatedly with a hammer gently
I tried this out myself, that is, striking the drums gently, it did not work.

The Maruti-OnRoad-Service guys were less delicate - a few healthy blows & the drum was free ! So if this 'drum pe chot maaro' advice does not seem to be working at first, don't be bashful
Old 8th December 2008, 18:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He said “aap drum pe chot maaro”, in other words, strike the wheel drum repeatedly with a hammer gently
Dont even try this, sure shot way to have your cars wheel bearing shot! hammering the wheels Tapping with hammer is fine, but wont help with jammed brakes.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2008 at 19:01.
Old 8th December 2008, 23:40   #25
BHPian

Something similar happened with me but car was able to move. I was trying to do a tyre rotation on a boring day and I was almost done but even after removing all the four bolts, the front left wheel was not coming out. Even after using hammer, brake oil, thinner and whatever I can get at home, the wheel refused to come. I got mad and removed the jack (all four blots back but very loose) and moved car little thinking wheel may get loose and come. But wheel was just struck there. I got mad then I did some burnout.. no luck. Had to call a mechanic in evening and he managed to take the wheel out after 2 hours (lots if hammer work, all neighbours came out their house). He told me that rim was sticked due to rust.
Old 9th December 2008, 00:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

Ah! You are saying that you even did burn-outs with very loose nuts? Just so that the tire will come out? Are you crazy? If it would have actually come loose it would have broken the studs and the nuts and would have caused an accident.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2008, 09:10   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Apparently it's pretty common among the maruti B segment cars, haven't heard of this happening to any other cars yet.
Old 1st November 2013, 20:50   #28
BHPian

Re: Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !

My Waggy's rear right wheel locked up this morning. Planning to remove the wheel tomorrow and to try unlicking it.
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:28   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
My Waggy's rear right wheel locked up this morning. Planning to remove the wheel tomorrow and to try unlicking it.
Was the car kept on handbrake? If yes then may be the brakes line would have jammed. Is the left wheel turning freely?

May be bearing could not be jammed.

Anurag.
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ajmat's suggestion is the best, sticking pads are very common especially parked after a pressure wash/heavy rain drives. Release the hand brakes and slowly move the car to front and back and the brakes should budge.

All the car needs is a good brake cleaning and servicing, along with some lubrication.
I agree. This happened to me a couple of times last monsoon. Initially i got petrified and called Ford SC, the SA told me it's a common thing and all i need to do is gently reverse the car and the brake will get released. It worked!
But if the wheels still refuse to budge even after this technique then i belive there should be a problem!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks