Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 01:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

how did you get the needles to light up as well ?

rev
Old 30th December 2009, 12:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
how did you get the needles to light up as well ?

rev

Needles are designed in such a way that hey derrive their lights from the tiny bulbs (in this case changed color) in the speedo. Its kinda automatic to put it short.

Pramod
Old 1st February 2010, 22:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

i removed the centre console today to check it out but i found it really difficult to acess the bulbs that light up the various AC switches.how do you pull the wire out ? it doesn seem to come off and i didnt use too much force out of fear of breaking it.how many bulbs are there behind the speedo console ?
Old 1st February 2010, 22:51   #49
RVD
BHPian

@VIVEKJI05 : Did you manage to get the results using the same bulb ? I tried doing the same on my zen and the light was barely visible even in pitch dark. Was wondering if it would be a good idea to go for a higher wattege buld. Right now the instrument panel bulb is rated at 3W. Alternatively, can you point out if I did anything wrong. Is it as simle as removing the existing bulb cover and add these colour papers ?

Regards

Rahul
Old 12th March 2010, 08:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
i removed the centre console today to check it out but i found it really difficult to acess the bulbs that light up the various AC switches.how do you pull the wire out ? it doesn seem to come off and i didnt use too much force out of fear of breaking it.how many bulbs are there behind the speedo console ?

It is quite easy as there are only two bulbs lighting up the various AC switches(not counting the rectangular green LEDs for each switch). There is a light guide panel, if you open the tiny box. Pull the two bulbs, (twist and ease them out) and wrap it with the cellophane of your choice. If you need any more help, please feel free to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
@VIVEKJI05 : Did you manage to get the results using the same bulb ? I tried doing the same on my zen and the light was barely visible even in pitch dark. Was wondering if it would be a good idea to go for a higher wattege buld. Right now the instrument panel bulb is rated at 3W. Alternatively, can you point out if I did anything wrong. Is it as simle as removing the existing bulb cover and add these colour papers ?

l
Mine is visible right from twilight. Using higher wattage bulb will cause the cellophane to melt.
Old 13th March 2010, 01:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried this on a gypsy? curious if this also can be done?
Old 13th March 2010, 17:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Has anyone tried this out on a SWIFT???? It's got some great bright white lights and would really look great on red. Although at this time I am a little scared of this DIY. Can anyone help me to take the speedo out for swift?
Even I am curious to know if anybody tried this out on SWIFT? Searched the forum but could not find any.
Old 20th March 2010, 23:04   #53
BHPian

hey i tried putting this red transparent paper on the bulb that is on roof (don't know the exact name) but that red paper melted due to heat... and the color was back to yellow.... din't it happen to yours ???
Old 20th March 2010, 23:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque.steer View Post
hey i tried putting this red transparent paper on the bulb that is on roof (don't know the exact name) but that red paper melted due to heat... and the color was back to yellow.... din't it happen to yours ???
it happened because the overhead bulb is of higher power and produces more heat. hence it melts the cellophane paper. whereas the bulbs in the dashboard are the same as that that in the head light as parking bulbs. the parking bulbs produce less heat which is not sufficient to melt the cellophane.
Old 26th March 2010, 02:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

any idea on how to fabricate a custom dial, if possible. what all things are needed to make our own set of dials but with a different colour?
Old 26th March 2010, 22:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
any idea on how to fabricate a custom dial, if possible. what all things are needed to make our own set of dials but with a different colour?
as far as i know, the dials have transparent papers attached behind the markings, and the colour of the dial depends on the colour of the LED/bulb used behind the dials.
Old 26th March 2010, 23:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but didnt fully understand that as i have never done it before.

my gypsy has a black dial with yellow speed markings. instead of yellow if i want red speed markings, what should i do.

Forgive my stupid query, have never done anything like this before.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but didnt fully understand that as i have never done it before.

my gypsy has a black dial with yellow speed markings. instead of yellow if i want red speed markings, what should i do.

Forgive my stupid query, have never done anything like this before.
you feel that its yellow because of a yellow bulb lit behind the speedometer. if you replace the yellow bulb with some other colored bulb, you'll feel the change.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Singh Saab, i shall try it and let you know.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:38   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Singh Saab, i shall try it and let you know.
sure sir. i'll be happy to hear from you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks