Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 12:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Engine Seize... What actually happens inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Check the air filter for any moisture. If there is some moisture, replace it ASAP, otherwise it will get fungal growth.
I just checked the filter. Its wet.
Old 16th August 2015, 13:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parulkgupta View Post

I just checked the filter. Its wet.
Well. Replace the air filter and go for a longish drive. It will clear any residual vapour.

It would be better if you check the hose from your air filter to your engine. If its clear, alls good. If it has some moisture, you could go for a longish drive after replacing the air filter.

Last edited by drsingh : 16th August 2015 at 13:42.
drsingh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 14:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Well. Replace the air filter and go for a longish drive. It will clear any residual vapour.

It would be better if you check the hose from your air filter to your engine. If its clear, alls good. If it has some moisture, you could go for a longish drive after replacing the air filter.
Cool. I am replacing it now. Hopefully the dealer will give me the filter as I suppose they dont sell parts over the counter.

And I will traveling 40k tomorrow morning so all shud b ok.
Old 16th August 2015, 14:36   #34
BHPian

The service advisor is hell bent on not giving me a filer, he says I wont be able to replace it. I might end up creating issues in the engine n all. Is it so complex really? Could I go wrong? he says I have to give him an undettaking that he issued it to me on my request and he wont be responsible for any engine damage :O

Any comments?
Old 16th August 2015, 18:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parulkgupta View Post
The service advisor is hell bent on not giving me a filer, he says I wont be able to replace it. I might end up creating issues in the engine n all. Is it so complex really? Could I go wrong? he says I have to give him an undettaking that he issued it to me on my request and he wont be responsible for any engine damage :O

Any comments?

Replacing an air filter tends to be about the easiest job on an engine. Rates slightly higher in complexity then checking the oil level.
Jeroen
Old 16th August 2015, 22:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Replacing an air filter tends to be about the easiest job on an engine. Rates slightly higher in complexity then checking the oil level.
Jeroen
+1. All you need is a screwdriver. And as members of this forum and living in a dusty country, I'm sure most people keep an extra filter in the car/home to swap a dusty filter out between service intervals.
Old 7th March 2018, 09:24   #37
BHPian

Hopefuuly, I am posting this on the right thread that will get some quick responses. Couple of days ago, when I was on the highway, suddenly the console flahsed about engine oil pressure being low. I immediately stopped the Linea and called Fiat road side assistance, got the local towing service number, eventually taking it to the local TVS service where I have a yearly maintenance plan. Now to my shock, I am told that the car was driven without oil supply to the engine. Two things worth noting are that there was little more than two litres of oil in the sump and I may have failed to heed to the extra noise just before the warning came on.
Bottomline is that the engine has seized and needs to be opened, go through this and that and all of that will cost at least 90k including changing the oil pump. Being a 7 year old Linea driven for over 1.5 lakh, I don't see much value left in this car. But sadly, will also find it difficult to sell it too. Before I take a call, wanted to get some expert advice here. Will it really cost so much to fix the engine? Will it be possible do an engine swap from another totalled car with a decent engine? At the moment I am overwhelmed!
Old 7th March 2018, 10:32   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am told that the car was driven without oil supply to the engine.
If its national engine 1,3 Diesel than you can definitely get the old engine or the required components. If you plan to keep it longer, can try sourcing half engine from Fiat else Maruti. But your best bet will be to get it repaired from some recommended FNG or if you want to stick with TVS or dealership, check if they can offer you some lumpsum package rates for the rebuilt.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:39   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I immediately stopped the Linea and called Fiat road side assistance, got the local towing service number, eventually taking it to the local TVS service where I have a yearly maintenance plan. Now to my shock, I am told that the car was driven without oil supply to the engine. Two things worth noting are that there was little more than two litres of oil in the sump and I may have failed to heed to the extra noise just before the warning came on.
Bottomline is that the engine has seized and needs to be opened, go through this and that and all of that will cost at least 90k including changing the oil pump.
Why do you think the engine has seized? By the sounds of it, you stopped immediately and the engine was turning then? Trust me, you would have known if the engine would have seized!

There was still two liters of oil left, so it did not run without any oil, in fact with two liters of oil left I知 sort of surprised you got a low oil pressure in the first place. That is definitely low, but not without oil at all! Any idea why the oil was soo low? Did you check the oil level regularly? Was there any evidence of oil leaking?

What do they mean no oil supply to the engine?

I知 not saying your TVS Service is wrong, but from what I知 reading it just doesn稚 make sense.

I would have checked for visible signs of oil leakage, filled up with oil, start the engine and see what happens. It was running before, why would it not run now? You might want to challenge the service guys a bit more on their diagnosis before committing to what is going to be, a substantial service and parts bill!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 13:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Why do you think the engine has seized? By the sounds of it, you stopped immediately and the engine was turning then? Trust me, you would have known if the engine would have seized!

There was still two liters of oil left, so it did not run without any oil, in fact with two liters of oil left I知 sort of surprised you got a low oil pressure in the first place. That is definitely low, but not without oil at all! Any idea why the oil was soo low? Did you check the oil level regularly? Was there any evidence of oil leaking?

What do they mean no oil supply to the engine?

I知 not saying your TVS Service is wrong, but from what I知 reading it just doesn稚 make sense.

I would have checked for visible signs of oil leakage, filled up with oil, start the engine and see what happens. It was running before, why would it not run now? You might want to challenge the service guys a bit more on their diagnosis before committing to what is going to be, a substantial service and parts bill!

Jeroen
There was no leak whatsoever in the oil sump. Theory from the service personnel is that (1) the oil pump wasn't pumping oil to the engine and (2) the warning, for some reason, came too late.

Right after the car was taken to the service center, we found the oil level, topped up and tried to crank and the engine wouldn't start at all. Is it possible that those attempts to start could have added to the damage too? The big trouble is, the car is now at a place 100 km away from my home.
Old 7th March 2018, 13:34   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
T
Right after the car was taken to the service center, we found the oil level, topped up and tried to crank and the engine wouldn't start at all. Is it possible that those attempts to start could have added to the damage too? The big trouble is, the car is now at a place 100 km away from my home.

What do mean it would not start at all? Did it not crank,i.e. not rotate at all, whilst the starter motor was engaged? Or did it crank, but not fire?

Jeroen
Old 7th March 2018, 13:48   #42
BHPian

Of those attempts, the engine did start once only to stall in a couple of seconds. Eventually, they said the engine couldn't even be rotated manually (whatever that means).
Old 7th March 2018, 17:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of those attempts, the engine did start once only to stall in a couple of seconds. Eventually, they said the engine couldn't even be rotated manually (whatever that means).
I have few queries :

1. Were you there along with the car when these cranking attempts were made
2. Did the service personnel check the reason (error code) for which the Oil Pressure MIL came up ? or did they just topped the oil and cranked ?

It is unusual for the MIL to come up late (as mentioned by the service guys) because this indicator is provided to immediately indicate oil starvation to engine.
Old 7th March 2018, 17:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I have few queries :

1. Were you there along with the car when these cranking attempts were made
2. Did the service personnel check the reason (error code) for which the Oil Pressure MIL came up ? or did they just topped the oil and cranked ?
Yes and no. I don't think the garage had the equipment or the software for that. If they had any, they didn't use them.
Old 7th March 2018, 18:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes and no. I don't think the garage had the equipment or the software for that. If they had any, they didn't use them.
Quote:
local TVS service where I have a yearly maintenance plan
Is this Authorised Service Station of Fiat or a TVS generic Workshop ? If its former, then they should have the kit for reading error codes. Its just a laptop with OBD connector and necessary software. They should have first checked for error code before attempting to crank.

In my opinion, before taking in further decision, please try the following steps :
1. Disconnect/ remove the fuel system relay (so engine doesn't actually start).
2. Check for all the fuses in Engine bay.
3. Check the battery condition
4. Try to crank the engine and notice any sounds that may be present.

If the engine rotates, then you might be saved. Else, you can attempt an engine swap, if you can find one from same vehicle model which was totalled recently. Also, in such case, do take the engine ECU as well from donor vehicle, just to be on safer side.

Complete rebuild of the engine is usually very costly and prone to delay due to parts shortage.

One more point, even though yours may be a Fiat 1.3 Diesel a.k.a. national engine, it may not be exactly same as Maruti 1.3 Diesel. So, try to avoid mix-up unless your service guy has successful experience in past.

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks