Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2008, 00:08   #16
BANNED

Hydrostatic lock==== The engine doesnt sieze, it ceases to work. Here you dont get a rebore done, it'll be only case of bent connecting rods. Is easily repairable.

Engine Sieze ==== 1) Due to high temperatures generated during compression (maybe lack of better cooling or low oil level in the engine sump, your engine oil thins so much so that it looses its lubricating properties, causing in metal expansion and your piston gets stuck in the bore causing a phenomenon called "Engine Sieze"

However, this case is serious in water cooled engines, since the vehicle is rendered immobile until rebored.

But incase of air cooled engines, they can easily take engine siezes and still run once the engine temperature decreases.cheers:

Every times an engine siezes it can be rectified by reboring and adding newer pistons. As an easy and to reduce in labour time and to reduce hassles Service Centres go in for a new engine blocks.

However i've seen so many reputed Autthorised Service Centres get a general rebore done and charge the customers a hefty amount.
Old 25th October 2008, 01:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

My maruti 800 once got seized(not literally) in a slightly hilly way.the reason was radiator fan was not working :( .I drove the car with the engine knocking(no pulling at all!) to a near by garage. lately ,they changed the engine gasket and presto !the car is ready .

But the 800 drove never the way it used to have after this incident.guys ,will it help re-boring cylinder(s) and putting oversize piston?
How much will it approximately costs?
The car has already completed ~90000kms and its a `97 model.

and a good reminder - always check for the thermostat and the fan apart from radiator and coolent topping.

cheerios ,
Prakash
Old 25th October 2008, 19:25   #18
BHPian

Hydrostatic lock, this is what happened to our Honda City.

The Honday Service center guys in Chennai first said, the Starter Motor is gone, so engine is not "cranking", after chaning new starter motor, the piston rod is broken. Now it is under overhaul

Should'nt they add Water content, Engine Lubricant viscosity, or other factor in the on board computer? Or in the Computer controlled Hi-Fi insturements at service center? or the experienced JugHeads shouldn't know these things.
Old 29th October 2008, 00:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Hydrostatic lock, this is what happened to our Honda City.

The Honday Service center guys in Chennai first said, the Starter Motor is gone, so engine is not "cranking", after chaning new starter motor, the piston rod is broken. Now it is under overhaul

Should'nt they add Water content, Engine Lubricant viscosity, or other factor in the on board computer? Or in the Computer controlled Hi-Fi insturements at service center? or the experienced JugHeads shouldn't know these things.
1.)i think they've taken you for a ride as hydrostatic lock is mainly occurs in diesel engines. what happens is you're trying to compress water in your combustion chamber instead of air, and that kills your engine as water isnt compressible. its rarely occurs in petrol engines is what i've heard from the skoda service center guys...
2) mostly the engine isnt replaced as a whole, even by the service centers. they replace the head if necessary, rebore and hone the cylinders, change the valves, pistons, connecting rods etc, depending on how severe the case is. changing the entire engine means having to go to the RTO and registering the new engine and all, because of which service centers almost never go in for that option.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:02   #20
BHPian

Piston Seizure and Cylinder cooling:
1. The cylinder must conduct enough heat to the atmosphere so that piston temperatures are below the oxidation point of the oil film and not so high that the piston:
  • looses strength
  • oxidize oil in the piston ring groove causing stuck and broken piston rings
  • suffers excess thermal expansion and seizes in the cylinder barrel
  • or develops hot spots that cause preignition.
2. Temperature is distributed evenly around barrel circumference so that barrel retains shape and doesn’t suffer from uneven circumferential stress (Hoop Stress).. and poor piston ring contact. If the barrel is unevenly cooled for any reason then you can see the circumferential cylinder head cracks. Achieving an even temperature distribution around the barrel is the function of the cylinder baffles/cooling fluid circulation around the block and is not an easy task for an IC engine designer. Using a simple baffle arrangement in a motorcycle engine, cylinder barrel temperature increases from the baffle entrance to the baffle exit as the air going thru the baffle heats up.
Piston Head is a large heat absorbing surface

Heat Path - how the piston cools itself
Piston Dome > Piston Rings > Cylinder oil film > Cylinder barrel > atmosphere
Since combustion temperatures exceed the piston's melting point, the heat energy in the piston is absorbed by the rings. The rings then transfer this heat into the cylinder walls and eventually into the surrounding air/cooling fluid.
Blowby of combustion gas past the ring belt ("ring leakage") prevents heat flow from rings to barrel. Piston temperature increases causing oil in ring lands to oxidize, thicken and eventually causing ring sticking.
Attached Images

Old 9th January 2009, 12:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepshinh View Post
1.)i think they've taken you for a ride as hydrostatic lock is mainly occurs in diesel engines. what happens is you're trying to compress water in your combustion chamber instead of air, and that kills your engine as water isnt compressible. its rarely occurs in petrol engines is what i've heard from the skoda service center guys...
As usual, Skoda service is serving BS to you. Hydrostatic lock is equally possible in both diesel and petrol engines.
Old 23rd July 2015, 07:10   #22
BHPian

Re: Engine Seize... What actually happens inside?

Reviving an old thread as I am in need of urgent help.

My Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI is emitting excess smoke and drinking engine oil as if very thirsty. 5 liters of oil consumed over 400 kms. What would be the problem? The mechanic suggested a complete re bore of the engine and Turbo and quoted 80,000 Rs. The oil is getting mixed with coolant as well. But the engine still works. Please advise urgently as the car is lying at the mechanic shed.
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post

My Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI is emitting excess smoke and drinking engine oil as if very thirsty. 5 liters of oil consumed over 400 kms. What would be the problem? The mechanic suggested a complete re bore of the engine and Turbo and quoted 80,000 Rs. The oil is getting mixed with coolant as well. But the engine still works. Please advise urgently as the car is lying at the mechanic shed.
Those are typical sings of worn out piston rings and hence lack of sealing. Looks like an engine overhaul is due.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:17   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
he mechanic suggested a complete re bore of the engine and Turbo and quoted 80,000 Rs
Do check with FORD ASS if they sell half engine like maruti - it will be better & maybe cheaper than to get this done outside .
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post

1. Piston rings are shot, and since long. You've to replace them.
  2. Oil mixing in coolant means head gasket has also gone bad. Weak head gasket looks to me to be a Fusion / Classic specific problem.
  3. As far as turbo is concerned, I'd not conclude that entire turbo needs to be replaced. Check for the seals of the turbo first. Who is O.E.M. turbo supplier for Ford? If it is Turbo Energy Limited, do let them check. If it is in a repairable state, they'll inform you of the option and quote a budget. If not, simply replace it from them.
  4. Buy the rings, gasket, etc from Ford spare dealers and get the work done from a competent mechanic outside, all before your eyes. And get the turbo inspection / installation done by turbo supplier.
  5. A well done job should let the Fusion run trouble free for another lac kilometers.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do check with FORD ASS if they sell half engine like maruti - it will be better & maybe cheaper than to get this done outside .
Already checked with them and was quoted more than a lakh. BTW, they were not interested in looking at the car, but quoted the cost randomly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
  1. Piston rings are shot, and since long. You've to replace them.
  2. Oil mixing in coolant means head gasket has also gone bad. Weak head gasket looks to me to be a Fusion / Classic specific problem.
  3. As far as turbo is concerned, I'd not conclude that entire turbo needs to be replaced. Check for the seals of the turbo first. Who is O.E.M. turbo supplier for Ford? If it is Turbo Energy Limited, do let them check. If it is in a repairable state, they'll inform you of the option and quote a budget. If not, simply replace it from them.
  4. Buy the rings, gasket, etc from Ford spare dealers and get the work done from a competent mechanic outside, all before your eyes. And get the turbo inspection / installation done by turbo supplier.
  5. A well done job should let the Fusion run trouble free for another lac kilometers.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Will be present at the shed while the work is being done. Very much relieved to hear that it will run trouble free for another lac kms. I was in doubt.

BTW, any idea about FORD spare-part dealers in Hyderabad?

Last edited by JoseVijay : 23rd July 2015 at 13:24.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:18   #27
BHPian

Welcome Sir. Not aware of Ford spare parts dealer in Hyderabad, but you can try the Ford service center for over the counter purchase of requisite spare parts. If unable to procure, then contact the Ford customer care via email straight away, they will definitely help you out. My experience with their customer care is good.

I have had to change the piston rings and turbo of my Indigo back in early 2013. In my case, I purchased the spare parts over the counter from local Tata dealer without any problem, and got the work done from a local mechanic expert in IDI diesels. My car ran free of engine troubles for the next 2 years / 40,000 kilometers till I sold her.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:24   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Please get it done only at a competent place. Not recommending FASS though!

Rebuilding an engine though easy requires high level of precision. The more the precision, the better the life and performance of the engine.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 12:09   #29
BHPian

Hi. I had to drive my Honda jazz through a lot of water yesterday for at least 200 - 300 meters. the water level was so high I am sure it was definitely above the underbody of the car.

There were at least 2 occasions when I was almost about to lose the engine as it started knocking and dint take the accelerator. I think it could have been the force of water as at no point did the engine stop, it was always on and I was above 2500 - 3000 RPM. After I passed, I waited for a few minutes and revved the engine at 4000 RMP. It was all fine.

SHould I get it checked for any damage?
parulkgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 12:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parulkgupta View Post
Hi. I had to drive my Honda jazz through a lot of water yesterday for at least 200 - 300 meters. the water level was so high I am sure it was definitely above the underbody of the car.

There were at least 2 occasions when I was almost about to lose the engine as it started knocking and dint take the accelerator. I think it could have been the force of water as at no point did the engine stop, it was always on and I was above 2500 - 3000 RPM. After I passed, I waited for a few minutes and revved the engine at 4000 RMP. It was all fine.

SHould I get it checked for any damage?
Check the air filter for any moisture. If there is some moisture, replace it ASAP, otherwise it will get fungal growth.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks