Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 09:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Santro Idle Air Control Valve

I bought my cousin's Santro Xing GL from a broker in 2013.
Two years later in 2015, the car's AC started malfunctioning. The cooling was not effective and used to start and stop on it's own in 30 min. intervals. I took the car to Hyundai ASC and asked them to check the refrigerant level. They checked refrigerant and AC switch and found them to be ok.
Instead they found the idle RPM on higher side and checked the IAC valve and found M-seal on it. Being 2nd owner I had no idea about why or how it happened.
They said this may be the culprit, also this higher idle rpm may lead to higher fuel consumption. The asked Rs 10000/- for replacement and Rs.5000/- for used part.

I was reluctant to spend that much amount and kept it as it is. With time, the AC started working normally again.
Now I got an offer from a local garage for used OEM part at Rs.1500 to 2000/-.

I am thinking of replacing this part from him.
Being used I may not get any warranty on this part. Is it worth getting it?

Any idea on the mileage affected due to this higher rpm if I keep the defective IAC valve?
Old 31st July 2019, 18:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
I bought my cousin's Santro Xing GL from a broker in 2013.
Two years later in 2015, the car's AC started malfunctioning. The cooling was not effective and used to start and stop on it's own in 30 min. intervals. I took the car to Hyundai ASC and asked them to check the refrigerant level. They checked refrigerant and AC switch and found them to be ok.
Instead they found the idle RPM on higher side and checked the IAC valve and found M-seal on it. Being 2nd owner I had no idea about why or how it happened.
They said this may be the culprit, also this higher idle rpm may lead to higher fuel consumption. The asked Rs 10000/- for replacement and Rs.5000/- for used part.

I was reluctant to spend that much amount and kept it as it is. With time, the AC started working normally again.
Now I got an offer from a local garage for used OEM part at Rs.1500 to 2000/-.

I am thinking of replacing this part from him.
Being used I may not get any warranty on this part. Is it worth getting it?

Any idea on the mileage affected due to this higher rpm if I keep the defective IAC valve?
HI Samit
Since your Santo already had been thru IAC valve issue ( repaired thru M Seal ) better you purchase the 2nd hand Spare part from the vendor IF it works in your Car properly.

Its easily accessible part and you can use that in front of it just for checking sake.
Thanks
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 19:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
HI Samit
Since your Santo already had been thru IAC valve issue ( repaired thru M Seal ) better you purchase the 2nd hand Spare part from the vendor IF it works in your Car properly.
Thanks for your advice Lightning2. I will change the part anyway.
I am just curious to know how much mileage may be affected by using a faulty IAC valve with higher RPM.
My local mechanic said mileage is reduced by as much as 1.5 km per litre but I was not convinced.
Old 31st July 2019, 21:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am just curious to know how much mileage may be affected by using a faulty IAC valve with higher RPM.
It will be difficult to quote an exact figure, but be assured that a faulty valve will definitely give a lower fuel efficiency. I used to actively keep the revs up during idling to make sure the AC compressor was working, thus burning more fuel.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 31st July 2019 at 21:05.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 21:33   #20
BHPian

HI Samit

Mileage loss narrated by your mechanic seems correct.

Hope your car engine Idling is stable now and you are satisfied now ?

Thanks

Quote:
Thanks for your advice Lightning2. I will change the part anyway.
My local mechanic said mileage is reduced by as much as 1.5 km per litre but I was not convinced.
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 22:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
HI Samit

Mileage loss narrated by your mechanic seems correct.

Hope your car engine Idling is stable now and you are satisfied now ?

Thanks
I am yet to change it as I have been out of town for past few weeks. I hope idle rpm will come down once changed and mileage will improve.
I will surely update once changed.
Old 29th September 2019, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
For less that INR 1,000/- that was a bargain I wasn't willing to let go. Ordered it instantly, and cancelled the request at the A$S, who refunded my advance without too much of a hassle. The part arrived in less than 20 days, and I got it fixed at a local garage in 20 minutes flat and gave the mechanic 200/- for labour!
My dad's car also had this idling issue and found that there is a crack on the IAC valve housing and air was being sucked in (there was a hissing sound) resulting in irregular idling and starting trouble. Got the part from Aliexpress and got it replaced by a local mechanic. The issue is resolved. The mechanic told that its a common issue and it seems that either the part has some design issue or its getting damaged when the throttle body gets removed during service.

Another issue with the car is that after a spirited drive (>15kms) the throttle becomes unresponsive suddenly and the engine dies. Its as if the engine is deprived of fuel. If I switch off and wait for 2 mins and restart the car is fine. The engine temp stays normal. Any pointers?
Old 11th April 2024, 17:20   #23

Is your aftermarket IAC still working fine?
Old 21st June 2024, 23:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
It will be difficult to quote an exact figure, but be assured that a faulty valve will definitely give a lower fuel efficiency. I used to actively keep the revs up during idling to make sure the AC compressor was working, thus burning more fuel.
Is the aliexpress IAC still working fine?
Old 22nd June 2024, 13:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadiz View Post
Is the aliexpress IAC still working fine?
Worked flawlessly for another 15k km - till we sold our beloved Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks