Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 20:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
friends in Bangalore tell me that some workshop (Maruthi A*S*S...?) is fixing ABS to non-ABS Swifts for around 20K. will verify this and get back with any contact number/address.
I would never go for it personally, unless it is officially fitted by the car manufacturer.
AFAIK ABS needs specific software in your ECU for communication. Also, given that ABS requires faster communication, my guess would be that a micro controller ,not built for ABS , will not be able to handle it.
I am a n00b, so I might be wrong but one would really need to make a huge effort to convince me to fix a third party ABS in my car.
Old 6th September 2008, 20:48   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Why do people even think about doing stuff like this?

All i have to say is - Forget it!

ABS conversion is not possible easily and is not safe.

Very Simple - If you want an ABS, just buy a car that has ABS, or learn how to brake properly.
Old 6th September 2008, 21:01   #33
BANNED

Yes. sundaram clayton Ltd, manufactures ABS systems for sure. As we are in transport line, we get journal once in a quarter from CIRT & ASRTU. In that TVS have advertised about their products and the pics.

There Was ABS too. But i think its for heavy vehicles like Bus and trucks, am not sure whether it manufactures for other category.
Old 6th September 2008, 21:25   #34
BHPian

What about fitting ABS to a car without ABS but the higher end version coming with ABS. Like if i have a swift without ABS and want to make it ABS, is that possible with every car offering top end ABS facility to be fitted to a lower end version of the SAME CAR MODEL
Old 6th September 2008, 21:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Why do people even think about doing stuff like this?
Because he didn't know. The appreciable thing though, is that he asked others before going for it. To my knowledge, a bad ABS fit(which will pretty much be the case always), can have horrifying results.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:36   #36
BHPian

I Test Drove a recent model of the Gamma, with the simple hope that I iwll be buying the Gurkha one day...very soon.

I TD a Mid 2007 vehicle and also a fairly early model of the TRAX, maybe a 2006.

As a sales talk, explaining the feature benefits of the vehicle .. What the chief Mechanic told me was that there is a "more effecive" booster for the current model vehicles.

Maybe it is worth trying it out.
Old 5th March 2017, 11:48   #37
BHPian

Re: Adding an aftermarket ABS?

ABS after-market fitment is not possible. My service advisor said the only way to get ABS is a non-ABS car is to sell the non-ABS car and buy the same model of the ABS car!
Apparently it will cost over a lakh and not worth the effort. That is why best to buy cars with ABS

In case you are aware of any MASS that does it reliably, please share the details. I was interested and did a lot of exploring about after market ABS but was not successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
I would never go for it personally, unless it is officially fitted by the car manufacturer.
AFAIK ABS needs specific software in your ECU for communication. Also, given that ABS requires faster communication, my guess would be that a micro controller ,not built for ABS , will not be able to handle it.
I am a n00b, so I might be wrong but one would really need to make a huge effort to convince me to fix a third party ABS in my car.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:18   #38
BHPian

Re: Adding an aftermarket ABS?

It's nearly impossible to fit an aftermarket ABS system currently on a Non-ABS vehicle.
However , who can say ? Maybe someone will make vehicle specific kits and make it a business. The kits thus produced will have a high price tag though , since it will include the ECU and all the components related to the braking and ABS system.
And with no much of a guarantee ,who is going to go for it ? My opinion is , driver slower , take it offroad and enjoy what you have while you have..!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks