Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:05   #1351
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
What is the "old tight cover over the ECU" ?
I never had any cover over the ECU till this upgrade

I was impling this tight rubber cover as it as on the ECU from day 1 - dont know if you can call it a cover, the new one pics that have seen are more encompassing. Same photo as that seen in the VTT manual at page 104, diagram 11

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img_4649.jpg

Quote:
It therefore indicates that TM / Lucas TVS had either changed the design after the initials lots (ADC - please confirm / deny change) or have had a bad / defective lot / defective design for the intermediate period.
Neither did I have a alternator recall/change till now.

A list of the retrofits done on the VTT for me

1. Self-Starter solenoid/motor
2. Power steering hp hose
3. Crank pully updation
4. Kit for timing belt drive

Harjeev can you list other than these that having been done for your VTT?

Will write to TM out here and see whats the status like for me now, 2 years already up and now on extended warranty.

Last edited by adc : 22nd October 2009 at 15:08.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:34   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I was impling this tight rubber cover as it as on the ECU from day 1 - dont know if you can call it a cover, the new one pics that have seen are more encompassing. Same photo as that seen in the VTT manual at page 104, diagram 11

Neither did I have a alternator recall/change till now.

A list of the retrofits done on the VTT for me

1. Self-Starter solenoid/motor
2. Power steering hp hose
3. Crank pully updation
4. Kit for timing belt drive

Harjeev can you list other than these that having been done for your VTT?

Will write to TM out here and see whats the status like for me now, 2 years already up and now on extended warranty.
I never had the "the tight rubber cover" on my ECU. Is it a case of TM forgetting it during the assly ?I checked in my manual and indeed the picture does seem to indicate that such a cover should be there.
Any way that is history and I am lucky that I did not have a ECU failure due to water ingress / moisture .

Based on Dadu's feedback you should also have a "D" type upgrade. (I had a "C" type upgrade - no water pump change)

Rather than writting to TM, I suggest that you put up a complaint / greivance here.
You may then contact CSM Kolkata on 033-22262784 / 22655086.... at their park street office. Details here. (please check for northern region). They also have a fax no.
You may also contact on the 1800-209-7979 number.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:57   #1353
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on Dadu's feedback you should also have a "D" type upgrade.
Thanks a lot for these numbers at one place, will contact them soon.

Harjeev do post what on the updations that you had till now
Old 24th October 2009, 11:05   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
You are right , something is stuck. The electro-magnetic clutch on the compressor is stuck in engaged position.
Finally got the vehicle back. The full AC compressor assembly has been changed under warranty. Thanks to BUB personnel - mr. KC and Mr. Mayur Shah for taking up the cudgel on my behalf.
Also thanks to TM Pune region office personnel for helping me out.

Also managed to get the EGR changed to 90mm one. Many thanks to Dadu for the intial feedback and BUB personnel for helping me out (again) in this case. Changed FOC - under warranty. It took ~ 2 years of persistance but I think it was worth it. The Krrr... noise is now gone .

Got the 3rd service also done (~ Rs 5200) and a host of items changed (> Rs. 50K) under warranty - 2 years warranty is almost nearing end.

Now I will check up the FE issue which RahulK has reported and is following up on.
Old 24th October 2009, 11:10   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for these numbers at one place, will contact them soon.

Harjeev do post what on the updations that you had till now
Hi Buddy!!!
I was just called for the Flywheel callback.
Dint get a call back for the alternator nor for this latest ECU revamp!!!
However since the 2 years of basic warranty are expiring and though I purchased the extended warranty of 2+2 years and 150k kms, I am still worried about the Service light issue!!!
Other than that I am quite ok with the vehicle!!!
Old 24th October 2009, 11:36   #1356
BHPian

guys

would it be safe to assume that all these upgrades would have been done in a new vehicle coming out fresh from a Tata plant.
I am asking from the perspective of someone who wants to buy a new Safari.
Old 24th October 2009, 11:56   #1357
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes Columbus, new Safari's roll out of the plant with these upgrades.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 24th October 2009 at 12:07.
Old 24th October 2009, 11:56   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
guys

would it be safe to assume that all these upgrades would have been done in a new vehicle coming out fresh from a Tata plant.
I am asking from the perspective of someone who wants to buy a new Safari.
It is very safe to assume that any new vehicle coming out of the factory has these upgrades/retrofit done. I say this as I have spoken to some people inside the factory and at the corporate office. Even I had this question as I'm contemplating a buy.
Old 24th October 2009, 12:14   #1359
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Buddy!!!
Dint get a call back for the alternator nor for this latest ECU revamp!!!
However since the 2 years of basic warranty are expiring and though I purchased the extended warranty of 2+2 years and 150k kms, I am still worried about the Service light issue!!!
Other than that I am quite ok with the vehicle!!!

So the retrofits are exactly as has been for my VTT till now. JK Das has not also got a call though he is like 3-4 months[?] behind our purchase date.

ECU remap that we are missing is supposedly the major thing - but then it shows to decrease the low end torque which will be big downer for me. A low end torque 2wd 2-tonner is not good for the steep hills - East Sikkim road to Zuluk had me drive in 1st gear at 3000+ rpm all through for over an hour. This low torque availability really dont want to lose out on.

Service light issue for you, though may be due to lower tolerances for this old software, must be gone through in detail - particularly when you still have the primary warranty. Just follow that issue real hard now - again may not be a harmless issue, but when in warranty why lose out on it.

Last edited by adc : 24th October 2009 at 12:22.
Old 24th October 2009, 14:09   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Buddy!!!
Harjeev... what Flywheel callback.. Can you please share some in detail ?
Old 24th October 2009, 15:42   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
ECU remap that we are missing is supposedly the major thing - but then it shows to decrease the low end torque which will be big downer for me. A low end torque 2wd 2-tonner is not good for the steep hills - East Sikkim road to Zuluk had me drive in 1st gear at 3000+ rpm all through for over an hour. This low torque availability really dont want to lose out on.
I think that the effects of ECU re-map has not been put up properly. I do not feel that the low end torque has been hit. The BIG time Turbo spool after the turbo lag, feeling is what is now gone. The power delivery is now much more linear - similar to Scorpio. I think that we can describe it as a reduction in the turbo lag.

For some-one who had lived with a low powered Sierra for 10 years, I think I understand what a under-powered car really feels like.
I believe you have spoken to another T-BHP member (a newbie) SHANTANUB - based in kolkata. He is expecting his LX ~ 29.10.09. Drive his vehicle (if he is willing to trust his dream machine to an internet acquaintance ) to confirm if my above description is right.
All the newer vehicles are with the upgrade.

Last edited by kingshukt : 24th October 2009 at 15:44.
Old 25th October 2009, 22:15   #1362
BHPian

My friend who owns a Safari 2.2 Ex (2008) wants to go in for extended warranty. He unfortunately did not opt for it while purchasing the vehicle. Though his beast has been trouble free till date but it makes sense to go for the warranty. He has been quoted Approx Rs.8500/- by some dealers in delhi. Is there a possibility of discount on the ext. warranty and also which is the best dealer to purchase the warranty in NCR?
(Mods - please move to appropriate thread if necessary)
Old 25th October 2009, 22:47   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
which is the best dealer to purchase the warranty in NCR?
Ext warranty is administered by TML directly. It will be entered in Tata's CRM and will be honored at every TASS equally. No dealer preference. However, some dealer may give a cut from their commission and pass on to you- though looks unlikely.
Old 26th October 2009, 09:48   #1364
Senior - BHPian

door-open sensor switch

I need info on how door sensor switches are located in Safari (2.2 VTT).

My pilot door (front rhs) switch is acting funny. It does not detect the open door quickly. It takes about 4-5s to realize that door has been opened and then switches other things on like cabin light, keyhole led etc. Other doors are fine. However, a gentle pat on the door after opening it, immediately triggers the door-is-open sensor. Looks like a bit of dust/oxide causing it? Unlike the WagonR, I could not locate it on the edges of door frame on the body.

tia,
-BJ

PS: Sorry if it was answered before on this thread, could not locate it.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:36   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I need info on how door sensor switches are located in Safari (2.2 VTT).

My pilot door (front rhs) switch is acting funny. It does not detect the open door quickly. It takes about 4-5s to realize that door has been opened and then switches other things on like cabin light, keyhole led etc. Other doors are fine. However, a gentle pat on the door after opening it, immediately triggers the door-is-open sensor. Looks like a bit of dust/oxide causing it? Unlike the WagonR, I could not locate it on the edges of door frame on the body.

tia,
-BJ

PS: Sorry if it was answered before on this thread, could not locate it.
The Door Open Sensor is part of the latch itself that is mounted on the door. There is probably dust inside that is preventing a good contact. Try using some WD40 spray and see if it clears it up. If this does not work then you might have to get the latch replaced or get it opened and the switch inside cleaned.

Manik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks