Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 13:55   #1156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
thats really too much so i guess its all got to do with Driving Style then.
The 2006 3.0 Dicor has a really heavy engine and lot of weight up front. This may explain the difference in life of brake pads between the 3.0 and 2.2. Driving obviously will have an impact as well, but we are talking about double the life here in JKds 2.2.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:31   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The 2006 3.0 Dicor has a really heavy engine and lot of weight up front. This may explain the difference in life of brake pads between the 3.0 and 2.2. Driving obviously will have an impact as well, but we are talking about double the life here in JKds 2.2.
The engine weight difference is only 80 Kg so that itself can not double the brake pad life.
Also brake force required depends on momentum and not exactly weight distribution.

However in crowded cities like Bangalore and Delhi you need to use brakes at least 4-5 times more then in narrow winding roads in Kerala ( based on my limited driving experience in Kerala) So even if you have 30% of kilometers in City this can explain difference in brake pad life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyam View Post
1. My Safari is 2 months old, 2800 Kms & first servicing done. From begining it's pulling to left. I have to continiously put a little right steer to keep it straight. During/after long drives, my right upper arm is having a little bit of pain. Wheel alignment, wheel rotation, tyre rotation already done twice ( all at TASS) as suggested by many people here, before the vehicle ran 1500 Kms, during my last 4 visits to TASS. Then I have left it till now hoping that if any issues with tyres it may settle after some run. But till now no improvements.

In fact besdies pulling to left, it was dragging to left while braking, which has been rectified by TASS during my second visit to them.

Any suggestions to rectify this problem please!
Are the alignment values equal on both side ? Get the alignment checked outside forget about the reference value range provided by outside shop ( that is correct from T.A.S.S) and just check if the numbers are with in range given in T.A.S.S. alignment report or not.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th September 2009 at 17:15.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:12   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. My Safari is 2 months old, 2800 Kms & first servicing done. From begining it's pulling to left. I have to continiously put a little right steer to keep it straight. During/after long drives, my right upper arm is having a little bit of pain. Wheel alignment, wheel rotation, tyre rotation already done twice ( all at TASS) as suggested by many people here, before the vehicle ran 1500 Kms, during my last 4 visits to TASS. Then I have left it till now hoping that if any issues with tyres it may settle after some run. But till now no improvements.

In fact besdies pulling to left, it was dragging to left while braking, which has been rectified by TASS during my second visit to them.

1. Please have the steering linkage rod thoroughly checked for any anomaly.
2. Please have the idler arm checked thoroughly checked for any anomaly.
3. Please have checked the vehicle height
4. Please check the tyres for any runouts

If any of the components mentioned above are worked on, please get the alignment done properly.

BTW, which batch is your safari from. Mine is of June first week batch.

Let us know if this solves/helps your issue.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 8th September 2009 at 17:19. Reason: Grammar
Old 8th September 2009, 17:25   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Satya it is nothing but Steering Wheel Alignment needs to be done, the TASS will tighten or losen the steering wheel and do the allignment while running the vehicle.

It is done on the fly so you better be with them and let them know the exact details on the dragging.

Even i had faced this problem and after the Steering wheel alignment was done never faced problem again in 1.5yrs.

Last edited by gowda79 : 8th September 2009 at 17:26.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:25   #1160

Thanks Strangerintown & amitk26. I will check it out outside.

Thanks Rahulk76. I will check the alignment again outside. All four points you have mentioned, have already been checked. Mine is July 1st week batch.
Old 8th September 2009, 18:11   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Let me clarify one thing here, that i am a very aggressive driver and have driven my 3.0 to its limits so many times.

When i changed the Brake pads at 20k service, there was still 20% juice left in them but i never take a chance with brakes and i hope you guys do the same.

Considering the weight/bodyroll of Safari, Tyres/Brakes should be in top condition.

So changing tyres/brakes should be a bit of Preventive Maintenance.

And of course we can never have a set figure for this, when i asked my SA during 20k service, he told me that its 20-25k for all Safari's.
Old 8th September 2009, 18:15   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Let me clarify one thing here, that i am a very aggressive driver and have driven my 3.0 to its limits so many times.

When i changed the Brake pads at 20k service, there was still 20% juice left in them but i never take a chance with brakes and i hope you guys do the same.

Considering the weight/bodyroll of Safari, Tyres/Brakes should be in top condition.

So changing tyres/brakes should be a bit of Preventive Maintenance.

And of course we can never have a set figure for this, when i asked my SA during 20k service, he told me that its 20-25k for all Safari's.
I would agree on that, the change on my vehicle was done at 25,000Kms and was told it could run another 8,000 -10,000kms by seeing the pads and we did not want to take risk as we had 2000kms travel plan the next day.
Old 9th September 2009, 06:57   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Gentemen

Any ideas what is the factory defaults / correct chassis height of 2.2 4x2 model.
I am mainly interested in knowing the frontal details

Thanks
Old 9th September 2009, 10:46   #1164
BHPian

Quote:

I have had the same issues twice earlier when alignment didnt rectify it. May be this might help.

The first time was at Concorde Motors, Hosur road, Bangalore. After alignment was carried out twice the vehicle still veered to one side upon breaking. Mr. Murlidhar looked in to along with the QA guy. It seems the Aura alloys needed some playing around with the alignment settings. After this I had no issues. So do you have non-OEM alloys?

Second time around was at Fortune cars, Powai, Mumbai. Took my 2.2 for a couple of drives with the service manager, Mr. Harish, and showed him how the vehicle veered to one side despite alignment. It turns out my handbrake settings had been changed during service and the setting was too loose. Meaning you had to pull up the handbrake a fair bit to make it work. And this affected the breaking patterns which in any case were uneven. This was done intentionally because according to him most of Fortune's Safari customers didnt know how to use the handbrake and ruined the mechanism by driving with the handbrake half pulled up.

Now, the technically inclined might decipher what this reasoning may mean. But after resetting, i noticed that the handbrake play was less and that the veering upon braking had disappeared.

Hope this helps?
Old 10th September 2009, 07:14   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Tire Balance, Vehicle Ride & Vibration

TYPES OF IMBALANCE See Figure 1 On Page 3 in attached pdf for a great read

Static Imbalance: Vertical movement resulting from heavy or light spots in a tire. Can be corrected using either a static
“bubble” balancer or dynamic “spin” balancer.

Dynamic Imbalance: Lateral movement (wobble or shimmy) resulting from unequal weight on both sides of the tire and
wheel/rim assembly’s circumferential centerline. Can only be corrected using a dynamic “spin” balancer.

Run Out Imbalance: Excessive radial and/or lateral movement resulting from tire or wheel/rim non-uniformity, improper
bead seating, or improper match mounting of the tire and wheel/rim assembly. This can be corrected by measuring the
amount of tire and wheel/rim assembly run out (lateral and radial) with a gauge, and replacing the component having
excessive run out.

Vehicle Imbalance: Vibration due to faulty vehicle components other than the tire or wheel/rim assembly; such as hubs,
brake rotors and drums, and drive lines. Correction requires checking for any irregularities, and replacement as required.

Sources of Imbalance

Two sources of imbalance occur in tires: heavy or light spots in the tire, and radial or lateral run out. Imbalance also can be
caused by:
• Variations within the wheel, such as thickness and welds.
• Rotor and axle imbalances.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tsb-TireBalance-12803.pdf (200.5 KB, 536 views)
File Type: pdf vibechart.pdf (13.4 KB, 437 views)
Old 10th September 2009, 09:27   #1166
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Gentemen

Any ideas what is the factory defaults / correct chassis height of 2.2 4x2 model.
I am mainly interested in knowing the frontal details

Thanks
83-85mm. This has been done to bantejas's vehicle at Concorde.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:10   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
83-85mm. This has been done to bantejas's vehicle at Concorde.
Thanks for this information Dev..
Old 11th September 2009, 14:13   #1168
BHPian

hey guys...

been off tbhp for a while and was browsing this thread when i came across, "retrofit" for the 2.2 safari's....

what exactly is this foc retrofit and is there a date from when it is applicable? my linea was in for service two weeks ago and the service guys knowing i had a 2.2 safari as well, did not breathe a word of this particular upgrade?!!? ~surprise surprise~

any info would be much welcome and do i need to start banging on anyones door(s) / e mails?

cheers manos and drive sane

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 11th September 2009 at 14:15.
Old 11th September 2009, 15:30   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Bullet,

Check back with the service center, dont just let it go if they did not bring it up.

Next, write to customer care at TATA. As them why you were not informed. That should at least get the things rolling.
Old 11th September 2009, 15:54   #1170
BHPian

I made a trip to kerala and back in my safari.Now kilometer reading is 3600 kms.I had a black smoke issue in between.This has disappeared after using System-D.No other issues with the car.The highest speed i attempted was 145 kmph.On the way to kerala, a scary incident happened.A lady just attempted to cross the toll road between hosur and salem.I was travelling at 120 and the lady was couple of meters away.She just stood still in front of the car.As my speed was 120 there was no way i could steer away.What i did was to brake and release 2 times really hard(No time for engine braking).I was skidding a little, and when i neared the lady i turned my steering to the left.Unfortunately she jumped back coming right in front of the car.Then i braked again and steered to right after releasing brakes.The vehicle slided again (A controllable slide).I counter steered and brought the car out of the slide and rolling again.If i had made the mistake of turning the steering first, i am sure that the car would have toppled.I would have liked to stop and give her a piece of my mind, but i thanked god for saving the lady and moved on.Thereafter the drive between palakkad to cochin was difficult due to low visibilty(stock lamps) and heavy rain.The highways were flooded(1 feet or more deep water) and the rain was heavier than what the wipers could handle.Decided to upgrade the headlamps and wiper blades.Apart from that the journey was comfortable.
During the drive , some of the things i noted
1)Stock headlamps are useless and needs to be upgraded.Ditto for the wiper blades.
2)Braking and then steering the car is better in a panic situation rather than first steering and then braking.
3)A/C gets cut off in between.I could not follow the logic behind this.
4)The car handles better if you follow the fastest path around a curve method rather than sharp cornering.
5)Took the car to a maximum of 4000 RPM.It seems to have become smoother.Earlier above 3000 RPM sounded more hoarse.Now the engine note seems to be very refined.
6)System D improved the emissions.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 11th September 2009 at 15:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks