Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 15:54   #1066
BANNED

Ok just had a fiddle with the gears, clutch fully depressed engaging ok but still notchy in 1st and reverse also 5th but that's immaterial as my point is driving forwards or backwards from stationary, engaging the said gears with a little accelerator pressed somewhere around 1100rpm the gears slot in nicely, regarding 5th gear I find that as you accelerate from 4th to 5th this is no problem, but if you are at cruising speed and change to 5th for FE reasons your engine speed drops and the gear requires more effort to engage.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:18   #1067
Distinguished - BHPian

An old trick. I remember my father doing the same with our Ambassadors.

However, it really DOES work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
It might sound stupid, but what i do when the first gear doesn't slot in, is to quickly shift to second and then back to fist, hehe.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:41   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Mine is Nov 2009 make, not sure whether the retrofit is required or not?

Cheers

KVS
rather it would be nov 2008 make sir.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:17   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
It might sound stupid, but what i do when the first gear doesn't slot in, is to quickly shift to second and then back to fist, hehe. Has worked every time, and comes in handy when you are idling in neutral at a traffic signal, and then have to make that quick move forward.
Disclaimer: Please do not give it a try if you are not comfortable with this sequence.
Hey DK! +1 to that! In case of too much difficulty, I do the same!
Old 20th August 2009, 20:01   #1070
Team-BHP Support

A query about seat folding. Does the middle bench fold completely in such a way that it becomes a flat bed(when folded forward?)
Any pictures illustrating the same?
Old 20th August 2009, 21:20   #1071
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A query about seat folding. Does the middle bench fold completely in such a way that it becomes a flat bed(when folded forward?)
Any pictures illustrating the same?
It folds flat, but the seat lower portion stands upright, here's a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-2.jpg  

Old 20th August 2009, 21:46   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Experts please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
The jerks are extremely visible when the RPM of the engine is in the range of 1500-2200 rpm, 3rd gear 45kmph and 4th gear 60kmph coasting.
So to rule out i did the following.

Do jerks happen in the following conditions

1. Coast between 40-45 kmph in neutral.
Ans: YES, its feelable and audiable. the whole vehicle vibrates when the speed is between 40-45kmph. THe co- passengers legs are vibrating
Its not present above the speed nor below the speed

2. Coast between 40-45 kmph with Engine off.
Ans: YES, its feelable and a lilttle muted hum yum humyum kind of audiable Noise. The whole vehicle vibrates when the speed is between 40-45kmph. Its not present above the speed nor below the speed

Does this make any culprit more visible ?

With one wheel jacked up,

1. There is a lateral axial play in the rear wheels More on the LHS than the RHS rear wheel

2. when jacked up, the rhs rear wheel make some muted grindding noise and is difficult to rotate and it does rotate with some force. and I can see the prop shaft rotate

4. The LHS wheel rotates freely as compared to RHS and I can see the prop shaft rotate. I can also hear some mettalic noise of some thing rythmic touching of metal to metal.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:49   #1073
BHPian

Nice explanation there with pictures, I do wonder how many feet can be claimed, got to try the full folding exercise out over the weekend, looks better than a railway berth to me, only the jack portion needs to be covered somehow.
Hope there could be some means to fasten the folded seats to the driver seat without hampering driver comfort, that would make sleep on the go so much better for a tired driver whose turn at wheel is over. With the gliding ride of the Safari, this should be comfy, will try out, next project
Old 20th August 2009, 23:30   #1074
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Nice explanation there with pictures, I do wonder how many feet can be claimed, got to try the full folding exercise out over the weekend, looks better than a railway berth to me, only the jack portion needs to be covered somehow.
Hope there could be some means to fasten the folded seats to the driver seat without hampering driver comfort, that would make sleep on the go so much better for a tired driver whose turn at wheel is over. With the gliding ride of the Safari, this should be comfy, will try out, next project
Theres no need to fasten the seats, they won't go anywhere, I have done Goa-Pune and Bombay-Goa with full cargo no problems at all both split seats folded flat, decent cargo area, to be honest when i lived in UK I owned as my last car a Ford Focus estate, this actually had more useable area with seats folded flat than the Safari, I am also sure that an Omni will hold more cargo than a Safari. Otherwise there was no compromise in comfort for my 2 journeys in fact these were probably my most fun drives ever(been driving 22years)
Old 21st August 2009, 00:03   #1075
Team-BHP Support

Okay tried it. Pretty useless. Reduces front seat travel, without actually increasing much loading space.
Better to use rear seat itself for putting stuff if need arises.
Old 21st August 2009, 00:30   #1076
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay tried it. Pretty useless. Reduces front seat travel, without actually increasing much loading space.
Better to use rear seat itself for putting stuff if need arises.
Yep like I stated, in a smaller car I had more space, it has it's uses though, if you have cargo that is long and if you want to protect your seat covers etc. I was actually considering buying a fiat adventure which would have been more practical not the Safari, but was unavailable at the time of purchase still no regrets.
Old 21st August 2009, 18:00   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I got a call from the dealer today .

Have taken the appointment for next week. My beast has done about 4.5k kms till now. Hope to accumulate few 100s more before the visit and get a (paid) service done too. Have some nagging issues like window glass rattling etc to be fixed.

Do experts here recommend an oil change too? Last oil change I had at 1k (first service) and booklet recommends 2nd service at 15k or 1 year. Mine is feb 2009 model and just completing 6 months.

-BJ
Got the call for retrofit
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:38   #1078
BHPian

Do anyone have idea of cost of coloring bumper/side claddings to same as beast color.

Secondly,has anyone tried to convert front bumper into steel/metal one of same size/specs/looks as of orignal bumper or do they exist.B'cos last week in my fields wild boar/pig hit the front bumper
& crushed into nothing.I personally don't like bull-guards etc.so thinking of some steel front bumper.
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:00   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With one wheel jacked up,

1. There is a lateral axial play in the rear wheels More on the LHS than the RHS rear wheel

2. when jacked up, the rhs rear wheel make some muted grindding noise and is difficult to rotate and it does rotate with some force. and I can see the prop shaft rotate

4. The LHS wheel rotates freely as compared to RHS and I can see the prop shaft rotate. I can also hear some mettalic noise of some thing rythmic touching of metal to metal.

Let me know your thoughts.
I am no expert in this, but whatever you have noticed is because of how differentials work in case of a RWD vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Do anyone have idea of cost of coloring bumper/side claddings to same as beast color.

Secondly,has anyone tried to convert front bumper into steel/metal one of same size/specs/looks as of orignal bumper or do they exist.B'cos last week in my fields wild boar/pig hit the front bumper
& crushed into nothing.I personally don't like bull-guards etc.so thinking of some steel front bumper.
Colouring costs between 15-22k depending on where and from whom you get it done, but its a pain to have coloured bumpers in traffic, side cladding are still fine.

You will have to goto a metal fabricator who will have to take out the existing bumper, fabricate a metal frame of the same specs and then cover it with a considerably strong but light metal/ alloy sheet. Paint and finish comes next.

Key things to focus on would be positioning of the bolts and sizing.

PS: This will make your bumper stronger but will also add weight and negate your crumple zones.

Last edited by dadu : 22nd August 2009 at 22:02.
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:31   #1080
BHPian

Upgrade for good??

Hi folks, could you list down the changes you are feeling after the new 2.2 upgrade by TATA. Many people mentioned about the engine smoothness and increased torque etc.

I had given my safari for upgrade last week to Concorde motors, Bangalore. The changes I feel is just the opposite of the above mentioned ones. I feel the engine is vibrating more and the pick up is low. It feels like something is holding it back while giving the accelerator. Even the engine is reving easily till 4K rpm, I miss the turbo kick.

Please share your thoughts as I am confused whether its a mind factor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks