Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 18:48   #1051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
My Safari used to do all this with out ECU remap as well. The only noticable change is that turbo kick is reduced.
Amit.... the turbo seems to have a more spread band now....as a result the lower range is improved....that's probably why you dont experience the turbo kick so much...I notice that 0-20 or so feels improved (atleast by feel)....Though i have used the vehicle for only 1500 kms.... i notice that it feels more comfortable running at lower RPM in higher gears.This can be attributed to better torque in lower RPM band i guess...
Old 19th August 2009, 20:09   #1052
KVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Retrofit Programme of 2.2 has started in Pune.

Did you get a call from TASS? I did not get a call from them yet. Mine is Nov 2009 make, not sure whether the retrofit is required or not?

Cheers

KVS
Old 19th August 2009, 20:44   #1053
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Did you get a call from TASS? I did not get a call from them yet. Mine is Nov 2009 make, not sure whether the retrofit is required or not?

Cheers

KVS
How did you manage that (Nov 2009)? is it the new version Tata Safari time machine?

Actually mine is an Oct '08 model hope the come to Goa soon for the retro fits, a smoother engine is always good, shame they don't have a retro fit for the poor first gear change.
Old 19th August 2009, 22:10   #1054
KVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
How did you manage that (Nov 2009)? is it the new version Tata Safari time machine?

Actually mine is an Oct '08 model hope the come to Goa soon for the retro fits, a smoother engine is always good, shame they don't have a retro fit for the poor first gear change.
OOPS!! It is Nov 2008..

I did not have any first gear change problem.
Old 19th August 2009, 22:22   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Retrofit Programme of 2.2 has started in Pune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Did you get a call from TASS? I did not get a call from them yet.
KVS
I got a call from the dealer today .

Have taken the appointment for next week. My beast has done about 4.5k kms till now. Hope to accumulate few 100s more before the visit and get a (paid) service done too. Have some nagging issues like window glass rattling etc to be fixed.

Do experts here recommend an oil change too? Last oil change I had at 1k (first service) and booklet recommends 2nd service at 15k or 1 year. Mine is feb 2009 model and just completing 6 months.

-BJ
Old 19th August 2009, 23:01   #1056
Senior - BHPian

bj;the oil change depends on the kilometer done or the time frame.

stefanm; I too dont have issues with first gear. Get it checked.
Old 19th August 2009, 23:27   #1057
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
bj;the oil change depends on the kilometer done or the time frame.

stefanm; I too dont have issues with first gear. Get it checked.
Yeah will get it checked out, will call workshop manager about the retrofit and do all at once, engaging first gear is very notchy and often requires to double clutch, something that's not expected in a modern vehicle
Old 20th August 2009, 09:04   #1058
BHPian

Stefan,... the first gear and reverse gear notchy behaviour is normal with safari (Other people please confirm)and has something to do with the design....but with more running ...it will improve.Press the clutch to the floor with some decent force and then engage....Double clutch is not required in modern automobiles...AFAIK.Also try to guide the gear lever with your hand rather than flicking...Even i have the same problem
Old 20th August 2009, 09:33   #1059
BHPian

+1 to what freewheelburnin had to say. It would not lodge in first attempt if the clutch is half pressed. pedal the clutch to the floor and try once again it slots perfectly normal. Used to it. and don't find it as an issue though. Did go to the TASS but the guys told its normal. I showed them how it does not slot in properly but I was told it is like that in all Safari and one should completely pedal the clutch before slotting in 1st or Reverse Gear.

Last edited by ram.west : 20th August 2009 at 09:36.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:31   #1060
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Stefan,... the first gear and reverse gear notchy behaviour is normal with safari (Other people please confirm)and has something to do with the design....but with more running ...it will improve.Press the clutch to the floor with some decent force and then engage....Double clutch is not required in modern automobiles...AFAIK.Also try to guide the gear lever with your hand rather than flicking...Even i have the same problem
Will have a play with it later, generaly i don't flick the gear in first, that is something i generaly do when driving a reasonable distance, maybe i don't push the clutch all the way down, will have to experiment as we pick up driving habits over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
+1 to what freewheelburnin had to say. It would not lodge in first attempt if the clutch is half pressed. pedal the clutch to the floor and try once again it slots perfectly normal. Used to it. and don't find it as an issue though. Did go to the TASS but the guys told its normal. I showed them how it does not slot in properly but I was told it is like that in all Safari and one should completely pedal the clutch before slotting in 1st or Reverse Gear.
Yep could be the clutch thing, the reason I posted is because my wife finds it more difficult to engage 1st than me and she often struggles with reverse aswell, glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

Cheers
Old 20th August 2009, 12:07   #1061
Senior - BHPian

I have the same issue (or is that as per design) where the first and reverse gears are a bit difficult to slot into.

Have mentioned this to the SA when I gave for service today. Lets see how it comes out.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:17   #1062
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry too much about it. It will be more in the morning, as oil warms up, gearshift warms up.
Deep down its a truck, so cluch, gearshift etc., is like that of a truck.
When you come from a sedan background, its too much to digest, but very soon you get used to it.
The most problematic is the 5th gear,
Old 20th August 2009, 12:44   #1063
Senior - BHPian

The 1st gear problem is not really predictable, happens more like Murphy's law. Sometimes even double clutching doesn't do it, so I prefer short-tapping the accelerator. Never faced problem going to 5th, actually, only 1st. Sometimes 2nd, but that's when I realize I haven't fully depressed the clutch pedal.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:24   #1064
BANNED

Ok guys, I need your opinions on this, my car has just crossed the 10k mark, next service is due in october or at 15k whichever comes first, now I had planned to get the oil/filter changed whilst I was in Mumbai/Pune at 7.5k, but the opportunity didn't arise. The guys at the service depot in Margao have been against changing the oil before schedule, now the schedule is changed on the latest revision, i would of had 2 oil changes by now. Should I go ahead and get the oil changed now or wait for 6 weeks or just get the 2nd service done in early september 4 weeks early?
Old 20th August 2009, 14:33   #1065
BHPian

It might sound stupid, but what i do when the first gear doesn't slot in, is to quickly shift to second and then back to fist, hehe. Has worked every time, and comes in handy when you are idling in neutral at a traffic signal, and then have to make that quick move forward.
Disclaimer: Please do not give it a try if you are not comfortable with this sequence.

Most Viewed