Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 10:15   #1006
Senior - BHPian

@RRSTEER>> I got back last weekend from an offroad drive with the Bombay gang at Rajmachi. I have had issues wit my truck, all which were promptly solved by TML. I have not once been in a position of being stranded anywhere in 30k+ kms.
All in all I can say is this, if you are in the market for a true semi luxury suv that is worth its salt on and off the road in the Rs.10lakh range, then nothing beats the Safari.
I stand by this statement after last weekend, considering the terrain I put it through yet again in terrible conditions with stock tires.
The truck just had a wash the next day and I shot off to Gujarat to a friends farmhouse which was like an offroad tractor trail in itself. Not a sound from anywhere in the vehicle. And I will be putting in a few thousand kms in the next week.
Saffari for me is paisa vasool, since I havent yet spent a penny other than routine services. Like you said, it is truly irritating to have niggles crop up now and then, but then, if you drive it the way it ought to be driven, I doubt you will have any reason to complain.
It now also seems to me that the truck is settling down and comin into its own. This is more of a personal feeling I have. Maybe its got more to do with my system having come around to adjust and understand this trucks performance and handling. I still do not look bother to look under the bonnet, which is opened more often by mall security during mall visits.

To those who own a Safari 4x4 I say, go ahead and drive your heart out. Driven sensibly with some skill the Safari will take you almost anywhere... ALMOST..!!

Cheers,
J
Old 8th August 2009, 19:05   #1007
KVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
During the first service of my vehicle last Saturday, I showed the problem to the electrical technician at TASS, but he said all VX's have that problem. I insisted that he check the earthing, but he didn't do so and even showed me the same problem on another brand new VX that was on still on display at the showroom. Even the TATA guys from Pune did not know about the reason but said they will try to find out why its happening.
I'm not sure how to get this sorted out..... Someone help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I have the same issue. On reverse, the radio goes hissss..., probably due to the electromagnetic interference of reverse camera LCD on the antenna. Did not bother much, as I reverse only when parking/turning around or releasing the 4x4 hub lock.

Can live with it, however, will welcome the tip if someone has been able to fix it successfully, w/o using any external/3rd party antennae.

-BJ
This is a known defect in all VX versions. I reported this to TML in Dec 2008 and they referred this problem to their design center. They replaced the antenna, RVM in my first service, how ever that did not solve the problem.

Finally last month I got a call from TML that they found a solution and wanted my vehicle for two days.

Last week they fixed this problem. They replaced the RVM and the reverse camera under warranty. Now I do not have the problem in my Safari.

Cheers

KVS
Old 9th August 2009, 05:08   #1008
BHPian

Hi,
I see no check engine light & no power/slugginess problem.Beast is back to full power by itself.But i hear some strange hssssssssss sound in engine,behind radiator cap.
I took the vehicle to TASS of commercial vehicles(207 DI etc.) but they couldn't find the issue.I told of turbocharger to them but they found all hoses/tube/clamps etc. to be intact..

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
you have identified the issue most probably well,

And it is totally safe to drive the vehicle only thing is that vehicle will be without turbo and maybe thats why its sluggish @higher RPMs.

What about the Check Engine Light ? Does it stay on permanently or kind of ON/OFF affair ?
Originally Posted by Rohit26
Please suggest:
I show engine light /sluggishness at higher rpm.After i open the bonnet i found hssss(ghunguro sound) behind radiator cap or below the engine platic cover.. I'm in my fields have access to net(reliance usb card) but no car mechanics except tractor mechanics.Nearest TASS is around 60 km.
I searched the TBHP & thinks its turbocharger hose/tube issue..
Is it safe to drive vehice to TASS or any other alternatives..

Last edited by Rohit26 : 9th August 2009 at 05:09.
Old 9th August 2009, 08:25   #1009
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi,
mine is a jan 2009 black and i did the teflon in the first week of delivery.
my query is , what is the re-coating period.
is polishing required , on a teflon coated vehicle
off late, i find scratches/lines appearing on my vehicle (Made by cloths)

Advice required ?
Old 9th August 2009, 09:09   #1010
Senior - BHPian

teflon coatin is just a good cleaning and polishing job. i think you will need to do it again after 6 months.
Since you have paid for it, go for the free service, but its better not to buy it in the first place, and get it washed & polished yourself
Old 9th August 2009, 10:21   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Hi,
I see no check engine light & no power/slugginess problem.Beast is back to full power by itself.But i hear some strange hssssssssss sound in engine,behind radiator cap.
I took the vehicle to TASS of commercial vehicles(207 DI etc.) but they couldn't find the issue.I told of turbocharger to them but they found all hoses/tube/clamps etc. to be intact..
Check the assembly holding bolts inbetween the injectors with a spanner and light hand.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:50   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Thanks Guys, i Will be taking my vehicle tomorrow to the TASS workshop. I will update after its done.
This was a new addition - ECU DUST COVER. I am sure it was not in there before.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-ecu.jpg  

Old 10th August 2009, 21:31   #1013
BHPian

I wonder when will I get these upgrades, its highly unlikely guys at Sterling Motors would be aware when TATA service advisor for North India didn't even knew whats the engine oil for Safari 2.2 !

Last edited by vivek.singh.73 : 10th August 2009 at 21:32.
Old 11th August 2009, 08:56   #1014
Senior - BHPian

OK Got my 2nd service done at Concord Hosur Road along with upgrades.

Upgrade details :

1. Timing belt Kit B upgrade
2. ECU Cover
3. ECU Reflashing
4. AC Condenser fuse.

After ECU reflash there is no major dramatic change but the turbo kick has disappeared and the power delievery is smooth.

Till now I was one of the lucky one whose Safari was problem free and untouched ( except service and oil change) but now after this the virginity is lost and I fear if some problem may crop up post upgrade

For second service Apart from Engine Oil Change ( 1771 Rs) , Oil Filter ( 163 Rs) and Fuel Filter ( Approx 2k Rs) and differential oil ( 5XX Rs) was changed. It was bit early for second service but 1 year limit was over.

Apart from these upgrades service advisor suggested to change the rear door latch to dove tail type which is available for Sumo Grande to stop the recorruning tail gate rattle issue . This upgrade was paid around 600 Rs.

Interestingly the Dove tail joint kit is quite cheap and 450 Rs was charged as labor. I would advice T-BHPians to buy the parts from Tata A.S.S and do it as DIY as the job is fairly simple.
Old 11th August 2009, 11:38   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
OK Got my 2nd service done at Concord Hosur Road along with upgrades.

Upgrade details :

1. Timing belt Kit B upgrade
2. ECU Cover
3. ECU Reflashing
4. AC Condenser fuse.

After ECU reflash there is no major dramatic change but the turbo kick has disappeared and the power delievery is smooth.

Till now I was one of the lucky one whose Safari was problem free and untouched ( except service and oil change) but now after this the virginity is lost and I fear if some problem may crop up post upgrade

For second service Apart from Engine Oil Change ( 1771 Rs) , Oil Filter ( 163 Rs) and Fuel Filter ( Approx 2k Rs) and differential oil ( 5XX Rs) was changed. It was bit early for second service but 1 year limit was over.

Apart from these upgrades service advisor suggested to change the rear door latch to dove tail type which is available for Sumo Grande to stop the recorruning tail gate rattle issue . This upgrade was paid around 600 Rs.

Interestingly the Dove tail joint kit is quite cheap and 450 Rs was charged as labor. I would advice T-BHPians to buy the parts from Tata A.S.S and do it as DIY as the job is fairly simple.
I am sure they would have given your OEM latch back, so pictures please of both Old vs New.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:37   #1016
BHPian

Any idea if the Safari GX needs any of these upgrdes. Mine is a April 2009 model. I called the service center here in A'bad, but they said that they did not have any information for the newer Safari.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:57   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Any idea if the Safari GX needs any of these upgrdes. Mine is a April 2009 model. I called the service center here in A'bad, but they said that they did not have any information for the newer Safari.
Most probably YES. But i guess ur's will come under category 'A' like my VX 4x4 which I bought a month back, but the VIN indicated it was manufactured in April'09.
They will start doing this only after the TML Pune technicians come down to the service station. And yes I found out they have a target number of vehicles to do the Retro and meanwhile train the local technicians; till then they are stuck in the city.
Old 11th August 2009, 16:55   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I am sure they would have given your OEM latch back, so pictures please of both Old vs New.
Good idea! I am fed up asking them for a permanent cure.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:18   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Good idea! I am fed up asking them for a permanent cure.
my bad It was 7:00 PM in the evening and i forgot to collect the old one back but I will post picture of the new by tonight, The list of parts for this Dove tail type stopper with cost and part number is given below.

S.No Part No. description Rate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. 269974306316 Rubber Stopper T.G 16.00 X 3
2. 289581306301 DRG. Dove Tail Body side 56.00 X 1
3. 289581306302 DRG. Dve Tail - Tailgate side 56.00 X1
4. FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4
5. FST 002 Washer 1.78 X4
6 FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4

The last 3 item means 4 bolts matching the body side dovetail joint and 4 bolts for door side and 4 washers.

Total material cost with VAT is 202. 67 Rs and Labor charges were 450 Rs.

Will post pictures from home as I am at work and bringing any kind of Camera and uploading pictures is against company policy
Old 12th August 2009, 13:59   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
my bad It was 7:00 PM in the evening and i forgot to collect the old one back but I will post picture of the new by tonight, The list of parts for this Dove tail type stopper with cost and part number is given below.

S.No Part No. description Rate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. 269974306316 Rubber Stopper T.G 16.00 X 3
2. 289581306301 DRG. Dove Tail Body side 56.00 X 1
3. 289581306302 DRG. Dve Tail - Tailgate side 56.00 X1
4. FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4
5. FST 002 Washer 1.78 X4
6 FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4

The last 3 item means 4 bolts matching the body side dovetail joint and 4 bolts for door side and 4 washers.

Total material cost with VAT is 202. 67 Rs and Labor charges were 450 Rs.

Will post pictures from home as I am at work and bringing any kind of Camera and uploading pictures is against company policy
Dont worry, once we see the new parts, I'll be able to post the picture of Old ones from my Safari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks