Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 17:32   #961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Yes, as I understood. They need to atleast check to determine the Type(A,B,C,D) of updation required for you.

It might not be valid for very new batches of vehicle, but they just need 15-20 min to check that.
I think the break even point is until May09 batch. They have started the recall starting from BLR first.
Old 1st August 2009, 10:30   #962
BHPian

I'm at the TASS right now. There is technician here from Pune and was checking my vehicle. As of now he has said they will be changing the fuse and ECU cover. He said they will check whether other things need to be replaced. He is not coming out with all the details. Will check on this and ask him about the rest of the changes when they start work on my vehicle.
Thanks again Dadu.
Old 1st August 2009, 11:45   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
I'm at the TASS right now. There is technician here from Pune and was checking my vehicle. As of now he has said they will be changing the fuse and ECU cover. He said they will check whether other things need to be replaced. He is not coming out with all the details. Will check on this and ask him about the rest of the changes when they start work on my vehicle.
Thanks again Dadu.
Dont worry, my earlier post describes what they will do/change and I have had a long interaction with them for the details and by the time it was done we were already shaking hands with each other

Ask them which Type does your vehicle fall into, any other information is welcomed.
Old 1st August 2009, 21:47   #964
BHPian

Trust Dadu to get the horse to talk and give out all the details and pictures, good work as always buddy!
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:23   #965
BHPian

Retro Service of 2.2VTT

I got the retro inspection and service done for my Safari 2.2. You all may be knowing that Tata is doing a retro service and replacing/fixing some parts. In my case they have done the following. What does this actually mean?

1. Condenser Fan Fuse Updation
2. AC Grommet Updation
3. Timing Kit - C Updation
4. ECU Softyware updation - I know what this is.

After these changes I find the gear shift is smooth and engine sound is softer. I havent driven much after this service though.
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:12   #966
Senior - BHPian

I did call up the TASS here in Bombay to find out if there is any such updation being done. No one seems to have a clue about it, even after i mentoined the details about the update being done by TML.

The ecu cover looks bullet proof(err.. weatherproof). Good to see that TML is doing such updates. Hopefully this should solve the ecu and other related niggles and thereby improve reliability and peace of mind for all Safari owners.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 2nd August 2009 at 07:22.
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:32   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I did call up the TASS here in Bombay to find out if there is any such updation being done. No one seems to have a clue about it, even after i mentoined the details about the update being done by TML.

The ecu cover looks bullet proof(err.. weatherproof). Good to see that TML is doing such updates. Hopefully this should solve the ecu and other related niggles and thereby improve reliability and peace of mind for all Safari owners.
Same here in Pune.Yesterday I had been to two ASCs and no one had a clue about these retro fitments !
I think one cannot be proactive about these upgrades.We will have to wait & watch !
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:41   #968
v&v
Senior - BHPian

has some from Delhi got the latest update ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:13   #969
BHPian

When I was with TASS last Saturday for my 1st service (1000 kms and 24 days), to my luck two technicians from Pune were there for the Safari 2.2 retro. When I enquired about the category they were surprised and thanks to Dadu, I then mentioned all the retros that are done. They were shocked about my knowledge, but i spilt the beans and mentioned Dadu & Team-Bhp etc etc.... Did get to speak to them for about half an hour on the safari and other misc talk. They said my vehicle came under category 'A' and the retros done on my bull were:
1. ECU Flashing;
2. ECU rubber cover installed;
3. Timing belt cover changed;
4. Some power window metal link that looks exactly like " [ " and is about 5 inches long for both the front power windows;
5. Some rubber sticky paddings put on both front doors to reduce vibration and noise; and
6. A/c condensor fuse changed to 30Amps.

The technician from Pune also mentioned that I ensure that the timing belt cover be necessarily opened on my next service and the whole timing belt/pulley/cover etc be inspected for any abnormal wear and tear.
All went off well except for an altercation as the service advisor mentioned the technician from Delphi for ECU flashing would be there at 02:00 p.m, but he came only at 04:30 p.m. Also actual work on my vehicle started at 02:00 pm only in spite of me reaching the TASS at 09:30 a.m. They took 3 hrs 30 minutes to wash the vehicle.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:13   #970
BHPian

TASS Service in Bangalore

I have been following the experiences shared by fellow Team-BHPians on TASS customer service, even before I bought my Safari. General feeling was that they are not so good in Customer Service and I bought the vehical thinking this is one area where I will have to struggle.

However.... I was pleasently surprised by the 2 TASS that I have frequented over last 6 months. I mostly goto the Prerana service station at Kudlu Gate on Hosur Rd. People out there including the receptionists, Service Advisor (Service Advisor Sunil always attends me) and the Cust Serv Manager (His name is Sankol.. If i remember correctly) have been very responsive. I never had to wait a long time either for leaving the vehicle or collecting it. Whenever I was not satisfied with something they would immediately take care of it. They would call me to check if everything was fine. The service advisor always explains me everything. Now, there are certain areas where they themselves do not have expertise, esp. on Safari parts, but they contact the Pune HQ and find out things. So overall my experience with them have been very pleasent. I would recommend this SS.

This weekend I went to Concord at Kudlu Gate on Hosur Rd for the retro fitment, because Prerna asked me to take it to their Peenya SS which is too far for me. Even concord guys were very helpful and provided good service. (Cust Rel Mgr: Javed and Service Advisor Asaf). I also came to know that Concord is a 100% owned subsidiary of TML.

Between the 2, I like Prerana. They look more professional. But Concord guys seems to be more knowledgeable. However my interaction with Concord is only 1 visit, as compared to Prerana visit of 7-8.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:53   #971
BHPian

Please suggest:
I show engine light /sluggishness at higher rpm.After i open the bonnet i found hssss(ghunguro sound) behind radiator cap or below the engine platic cover.. I'm in my fields have access to net(reliance usb card) but no car mechanics except tractor mechanics.Nearest TASS is around 60 km.
I searched the TBHP & thinks its turbocharger hose/tube issue..
Is it safe to drive vehice to TASS or any other alternatives..
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:05   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Please suggest:
I show engine light /sluggishness at higher rpm.After i open the bonnet i found hssss(ghunguro sound) behind radiator cap or below the engine platic cover.. I'm in my fields have access to net(reliance usb card) but no car mechanics except tractor mechanics.Nearest TASS is around 60 km.
I searched the TBHP & thinks its turbocharger hose/tube issue..
Is it safe to drive vehice to TASS or any other alternatives..
you have identified the issue most probably well,

And it is totally safe to drive the vehicle only thing is that vehicle will be without turbo and maybe thats why its sluggish @higher RPMs.

What about the Check Engine Light ? Does it stay on permanently or kind of ON/OFF affair ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:10   #973
BHPian

hi,
Check engine light is off after i turn off the engine for 5 mins.Engine light shows on when i push the vehicle around 2400 rpm to compensate power/speed.It remains off below 2000 rpm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
you have identified the issue most probably well,

And it is totally safe to drive the vehicle only thing is that vehicle will be without turbo and maybe thats why its sluggish @higher RPMs.

What about the Check Engine Light ? Does it stay on permanently or kind of ON/OFF affair ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:14   #974
Team-BHP Support

Thought most have seen my safari thread, I think I will post my elephants problem here.
This has been there for more than 6 months.
the problem is of erratic idle.
I.e idle rpm keeps continuously oscillating between 800-900rpm
Earlier this problem used to come only below 15-20 degree ambient temp when car was started after a full night rest(cold engine).
Now it comes everytime after a high rpm run.
So lets say your drive for few seconds around 3000rpm or more, and then come to stop at a traffic light, the idle would keep fluctuating for couple of minutes, and then settle down to 800.
To demonstrate this at service center all I have to do is revv her up to 4000rpm and let it come down to idle.
RPM starts to fluctuate.
Problem is more with AC on. without AC, its very minimal.

Parts replaced during checking
Injectors, ECU, Common rail, Alternator, EGR, HP lines.
Old parts were put back except the following after checking
ECU. Injectors and HP lines.

After changing ECU problem goes away for 200-300kms, and as ECU learns, problem comes back.
Ditto for any tampering with injector washers etc., Problem goes away for 200-300kms, and then comes back.
For those curious on how this looks like

At one time, the washer sitting on the base of the injector was changed(25rs) and problem went away for 300kms, only to come back.

Earlier I was suspecting a stuck open EGR, but even after EGR change no effect.
Only other thing which I could figure out was a Crankcase ventiation valve. Does safari even have one?

Some googling suggested MAP sensor, I think this is the sensor which sits on the intake manifold(Oxygen sensor or something).
This was also changed.

One thing I have noticed that after ECU change, or any other parameter change this problem goes away, and comes back after 200-300kms

Its been months, and my vehicle has spent many days at the service center, but no solution has come.
Tomorrow I will again go to sterling, and if it does not get fixed this time, I plan to take it to Sanya motors(suggested by Customer care guy) on Saturday.
Lets see what happens over there?
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:22   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
hi,
Check engine light is off after i turn off the engine for 5 mins.Engine light shows on when i push the vehicle around 2400 rpm to compensate power/speed.It remains off below 2000 rpm..
OK, thats fine, so now go to TASS and get this rectified and dont push the beast much.

And get the laptop hooked to verify the error codes were for turbo thing, just to make sure.

cheers

Most Viewed