Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 11:46   #916
BHPian

Hi guys,

Got back my Safari after two weeks of patient waiting and running behind the TASS. The ECU was at fault and has been replaced under warranty. The Bull is back in its full glory and I found it to be wanting to pounce on the every mile of road possible. Was absolutely satisfied with the service provided at Concorde, ECR and their response for rectifying the problem. Waiting to munch a lots of miles but bitterly out of Vitamin M.

Cheers
Ramesh
Old 17th July 2009, 14:01   #917
BHPian

ECU Reprogramming - update

Hey Guys,

Just got my baby back from Concorde and thought I would update you all...

Did a long test drive of the car and the service light isn't coming right now. It sounds so much better too.. I am hoping this fixes my service light problem once and for all. I am off again out-of-town on Sunday so I will know better then I think after a couple of hundred kilometers.

My ECU was replaced, Concorde says they identified that the problem was in the software; the replacement is not on my service history though - they said it won't show on my history or my bill...

Concorde was quite better than the Manipal guys in this my first experience with them. Although it took a week for them to get the ECU, they kept me updated about the status. They gave me a standby car when they did take my car for the ECU replacement.

I had given the car with two other problems. My car key had got cut into two inside the ignition and I was driving around with the cut key! I had gone to a customer meeting, came out, started the car and was about to drive off when I saw the remote on the floor - stopped, looked down and found the car key had cut into two with the big half still inside the ignition!

I had demanded that they cover this under warranty because the key had not broken on any "misuse" from my end... since they had the Tata Motors guys at the workshop to come look at my car - they told them about the key also. The Tata guys first said that I was using a duplicate cut-key and so it can't be their fault. Explained (with as much calm as possible) to Concorde guy that the key was original and had never been duplicated. He said he would go look himself and verify - and then said he has certified it and they would replace the entire lockset (ignition+5 doors) under warranty.

My second problem was that after one of my visits for the service light problem to Manipal Hebbal wherein they had changed the injector seals - the next day my windshield started leaking. It had come loose from the top and slid slightly down leaving a gap between the glass and the top beading. Apparently, since the glass is quite heavy, there is a clip/bush of some sort placed at the bottom of the glass below the wiper covering plate - they think that the clip may have moved/slipped. Anyways, they said they couldn't do anything about this - said I have to get the glass removed and re-fixed with new sealant and beading at my cost... so that's my next item to take up next week...

Meanwhile, am looking forward to the drive on Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anand,

1) write to TataMotors customer service, and make a noise.
Srini - I followed your advice and wrote in a stinker to Tata Motors just so that I have it on record. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Hi Anand,

I had a service light issue. Check the resolution details on my thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-4.html

J
J - very very familiar with your problems - have followed and read your thread in great detail over the last few months as I battled with mine... I keep my fingers crossed that mine won't have to go that far... loved your ownership report too that you had posted sometime back...
Old 17th July 2009, 15:09   #918
BHPian

Ram - looks like we are in the same boat, at the same time! My ECU also replaced and car returned today to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
Hi guys,

Got back my Safari after two weeks of patient waiting and running behind the TASS. The ECU was at fault and has been replaced under warranty. The Bull is back in its full glory and I found it to be wanting to pounce on the every mile of road possible. Was absolutely satisfied with the service provided at Concorde, ECR and their response for rectifying the problem. Waiting to munch a lots of miles but bitterly out of Vitamin M.

Cheers
Ramesh
Old 17th July 2009, 21:40   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post

My second problem was .... they said they couldn't do anything about this - said I have to get the glass removed and re-fixed with new sealant and beading at my cost... so that's my next item to take up next week...
If you have windshield experts in Bangalore then find them and go there. TASS is a total ripoff for windshield replacement. They charge you more than twice for the cost of the sealant and labour. I got my front windshield replaced from them for 35% less cost than TASS. Windshield experts also cover insurance related job claims.

Cheers,
J
Old 17th July 2009, 22:32   #920
BHPian

Yes, agree with you. Already been there couple of days back and find out the details... will be giving it to them early next week. That's why I didn't ask Concorde to do it along with this stuff... In Nov 07, I replaced the windshield on the safari and TASS charged me ~14000 - at Windshield experts when I went last week - they quoted ~10500. Plus, they will do it in about 4 hours - TASS typically wants it overnight at least or a full day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
If you have windshield experts in Bangalore then find them and go there. TASS is a total ripoff for windshield replacement. They charge you more than twice for the cost of the sealant and labour. I got my front windshield replaced from them for 35% less cost than TASS. Windshield experts also cover insurance related job claims.

Cheers,
J
Old 19th July 2009, 20:44   #921
Senior - BHPian

Know your 2.2 Engine -1

Excerpts from manual. (Mods please delete this post if required)

Know your 2.2

1. Safari Dicor is powered by 2.2 L engine which uses contemporary Delphi 1600 bar fully-electronic CRDI

2. If engine is getting overheated, ECU reduces the power of the engine as a precaution from getting damaged.

3. ECU contantly monitors the functioning of various sensors and actuators and detects the faults generated in the system and indicates the status of fault via the "SERVICE" lamp

4. Corrections for different environmental conditions such as hot climate etc & Altitude, the engine adjusts automatically to suit variations accordingly.

5. Accelerometet Pilot Control(APC) startegy monitors the performance of the engine constantly via knock sensor and adjustments are made to the fuel injections so that the engine runs smoothly all the time.

6.Cylinder balancing: The speed of the engine is well balanced by reducing cyclic variations in the engineas all the injections/injections readings are precautiously controlled by the ECU.

7. AOS (Anti Oscillation Strategy) : Jerks during sudden accelerations are minimized using this strategy. The engine speed and the gear change is continuously monitored & adjustments are made to enhance the smoothness of the engine.

8. It also features EGR cooler which makes 2.2 more environment friendly. ( look closely under the hood, the one covered with white kinda cloth next to the battery, after lifting off the engine cover)

tbc...

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 19th July 2009 at 20:50.
Old 19th July 2009, 20:55   #922
Senior - BHPian

How to identify Clutch Slippage on 2.2

It can be confirmed by any of the two methods....

1. Drive the vehicle in question in 2nd or 1st gear at maximum speed according to that gear by fully depressing accelerator. Apply brake gradually with left foot. If the engine stalls, it means that the clutch doesnt slip

2. Drive in the 3rrd gear at normal load on a level ground and let the speed drop to 15kmph. Press accelerator fully. With the slipping clutch the vehicle speed will not pickup and also clutch burning smell will come.
If this aint happening and the vehicle picks up speed then it means the clutch is good.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 19th July 2009 at 20:58.
Old 19th July 2009, 21:00   #923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Apply brake gradually with left foot.
Why the left foot ?
Old 19th July 2009, 21:05   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Why the left foot ?
AFAIK "coz with right foot you are pressing the accelerator"
Old 19th July 2009, 21:17   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post
Yes, agree with you. Already been there couple of days back and find out the details... will be giving it to them early next week. That's why I didn't ask Concorde to do it along with this stuff... In Nov 07, I replaced the windshield on the safari and TASS charged me ~14000 - at Windshield experts when I went last week - they quoted ~10500. Plus, they will do it in about 4 hours - TASS typically wants it overnight at least or a full day.

Buddy windshield experts replaced the front windscreen of my safari for 8500 approx. This included the cost of the glass, sealant and labor. This was not too long ago.

I think you ought to bargain like I did. They said they would charge 250 bucks extra for home service.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:29   #926
BHPian

Hey Anand,

Even mine took a week for the ECU replacement. But they had wasted a week trying to service it!! . Even for me the ECU replacement has not been shown in the Bill History!! How many kms has ur Safari covered?
Old 20th July 2009, 23:47   #927
Senior - BHPian

Know your 2.2 Troubleshooting -II

Technical Troubleshooting and procedurelal resolutions (From Manual)
DISCLAIMER: This is just given for reference. Your TASC/TASS knows whats best resolution for your 2.2 as the information may vary over time and actual problems may vary on case to case basis.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1..jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-2.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-3.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-4.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-5.jpg  

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 21st July 2009 at 00:01.
Old 21st July 2009, 00:41   #928
Senior - BHPian

Engine lacks power; wont do 100kmph up in any gear. Stereo gets DC now and then , no error codes -> lose battery terminal connection!

Took me ages to find the issue.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:52   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Engine lacks power; wont do 100kmph up in any gear. Stereo gets DC now and then , no error codes -> lose battery terminal connection!

Took me ages to find the issue.
Last week I turned on the ignition and the car completely Shut down and DEAD. After some struggle it used to start. This happened 3 times in 3 days. Suddenly i remembered all those horror stories people have written about safaris in various threads AND this cant be happening to meee..!

Finally, i opened the bonnet and looked at the battery, one of the terminals was just too loose. It was a simple fix but a scary situation to be in when this happens at a traffic light.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:29   #930
Senior - BHPian

From JK and Chxy's post I remember something which I feel like sharing with fellow BHPians

Rule 0 : Don't ask any job to be done by A.S.S untill it is required. Why fix it if not broken. Read on other 2 rules to understand why

Rule 1 Always take a test drive while taking delivery

I left the vehicle in March at Prerna moters, Old Madras road workshop for unscheduled Oil Change at around 7.5 K interval ( noted by them as Volentary Oil Change )and asked them to check all fluids and bleed the breaks and apply jelly on battery terminal. There was no real need but just that I read about these things so thought when I am leaving the vehicle for Oil change why not get the other preventive things done.

I asked them to deliver at my office and took vehcile for a spin to my horror I found that breaks were fading away and after a couple of times there was no break , Probably the break line was left loose after bleeding.
The mechanic made some incoherent noises and took it to workshop and came back after an hour with a story that a washer was missing. When I asked how can somthing go missing if they have not removed or forgotten to put it back he had no answer. I thanked my stars for doing test drive.

After a couple of days on cranking the engine the battery went dead and there was no light and on slamming the door lights came back and engine started.
Immediatly something flashed to my mind and I opened the bonnet , after cleaning the terminal and applying petrolium jelly the nut was left loose.

There is no 13/14 number spanner in the tool kit provided with Safari so I tightned it with hand and later after reaching home used spanner from my bike's tool kit.

So
lesson 2 buy a set of small spanners if you already don't have them at home , You never know when you may need.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st July 2009 at 14:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks