Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 12:18   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
When my car went for the 30k service, the SA advised that they've been asked to retrofit the tail gate lock / latch with a larger latch, which apparently fixes the rattle once and for all.

You've got to pay for the retrofit, and it costs around 400 for parts, and 300 for labor.

got it installed on my car today. will post some pics and the exact cost tomorrow.

Unfortunately dont have a pic of the latch before the retrofit.
I have got this fixed and it is working fine. If a person is not bothered about the looks then the spare wheel can be removed. But will the Safari owners do that?
Old 14th July 2009, 14:12   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Kind Attn.:- Mr. Mahesh Menon
We are in receipt of your email dated 11.07.09.
We would like to inform you regarding your query that Mobil Delvac Mx oil is not tested and approved by Tata Motors. The use of the same will nullify the warranty.
If you wish to use Mobil, then you can go for Mobil Super 1000 TM. This is CH4 oil which is tried and tested by Tata Motors. This is approved and has a drain interval of 15000 kms. The oil is available in all the Tata Authorized Dealership / Service Center. Please use this oil instead of Delvac.

Thanking you
For Tata Motors
Customer Care Team
Mumbai

So now I am one confused consumer sitting on 10L of Delovac MX
Attaching the specs for Mobil 1000 for your ref and decision. If they find non-approved oil usage, warranty stands VOID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
When my car went for the 30k service, the SA advised that they've been asked to retrofit the tail gate lock / latch with a larger latch, which apparently fixes the rattle once and for all.

You've got to pay for the retrofit, and it costs around 400 for parts, and 300 for labor.

got it installed on my car today. will post some pics and the exact cost tomorrow.

Unfortunately dont have a pic of the latch before the retrofit.
What rattles, I dont have rattle in any doors with OEM fitment itself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mobil_super_1000_tm_15w-40.pdf (1.16 MB, 2497 views)
Old 14th July 2009, 16:21   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
then you are one lucky dude(or dadu) and maybe you never have to travel on bad roads.

but its a regular problem with 3 Safari's we have in our family.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:51   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
BEWARE Bosch Wiper buyers:
Have a look at my post here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1381474-post235.html
I use 20/20 as 22/22 was longer

Quote:
Just got a jar of Delvac MX from the Mobil Main Distributor (Affiance Enterprises) in Chennai. I was Rs. 680/-per litre +VAT. For a 10L jar, it cost around Rs.1780/

It's Given on Pg. 148 of the Manual
what now!

I just used it and many does at TBHP !

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
I was once suggested to fix 2 latches instead of one and that helped for a couple of weeks but then back to square one.

Hope this new solution of Fixing bigger latch works for longer time.

Please keep us updated about it as time progresses.

Quote:
Attaching the specs for Mobil 1000 for your ref and decision. If they find non-approved oil usage, warranty stands VOID.

I dont have rattles just squeaks coz the small latch cant carry the weight. I found a solution though: keep a thick paper on top the beading on which the gate rests.

Edit: think Focus, a TASS centre, uses the Mobil as I remember my SA saying so. I think he just read Mobil on the can I brought and not the correct name.

Edit: Hallelujah! Saved

Thanks Mahesh.

Last edited by jkdas : 14th July 2009 at 17:05.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:59   #905
BHPian

Hi Dadu,

I did read the same document before I went in for Delovac, But if you read the Delovac Brochure, what appealed to me was that it not only "Met" but rather "Exceeded" API - CH-4 standards (that required by Tata ). Also what caught my eye was (I Quote) :

Features and Benefits :
Modern high output diesel engines including those using EGR technology generate higher levels of soot and run at higher temperatures than older, naturally aspirated engines, which significantly increases the demands on engine lubricants. These engine designs reduce oil consumption, resulting in less fresh oil makeup to replenish depleted additives. Top piston rings are located higher on the piston bringing the oil film closer to the combustion
chamber where higher temperatures increase thermal stress on the lubricant. Higher fuel injector pressure and retarded timing improve exhaust emission control, but also increase engine temperatures and increase soot loads, including those engines operating with EGR.
The key benefits include:
-Reduced low temperature sludge build-up and high temperature deposits
-Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability
-Extended TBN reserves Improved soot handling and extended drain intervals
-Reduced oil consumption and wear protection Maintains viscosity in severe, high temperature service
-Stay-in-grade shear stability
-Excellent low temperature pumpability Easier engine start-up and reduced wear
-Superb resistance to corrosion Longer life of critical wear surfaces

See the whole brochure here : http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._mx_15w-40.pdf
Old 14th July 2009, 17:33   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon
I'm willing to relieve you of your DelOvac MX .
Old 14th July 2009, 17:51   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I use 20/20 as 22/22 was longer
what now!

I just used it and many does at TBHP !
So have I now. My only concern was that most auto manufacturers will look for small reasons to deny you warranty replacements in case something happens however irrelevant this may be, just to shrug off their responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I'm willing to relieve you of your DelOvac MX .
Sorry pal that will have to be drained now!!
Old 14th July 2009, 17:54   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dadu,

I did read the same document before I went in for Delovac, But if you read the Delovac Brochure, what appealed to me was that it not only "Met" but rather "Exceeded" API - CH-4 standards (that required by Tata ). Also what caught my eye was (I Quote) :
Yes, I understand all that, but the key words here are

"If they find out"

"During the Warranty period"

I am not saying Delovac is bad or something, just focus on the keywords and decide.
Old 14th July 2009, 19:46   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I understand all that, but the key words here are

"If they find out"

"During the Warranty period"

I am not saying Delovac is bad or something, just focus on the keywords and decide.
Yes there is no contesting that

But my idea was that assuming we can find enough Bhp'ians who can vouch for this product (or Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, the synthetic equivalent ) we may be able coax Tata Motors to atleast test the products & consider approving the same.

Cheers
Old 14th July 2009, 19:58   #910
Senior - BHPian

Just dont ask them to check oil soon after you fill up. Drive few 100s and then
Think that should make it tough to find which oil it is unless they do a lab test !
Old 15th July 2009, 06:03   #911
BHPian

As long as the oil meets minimum API specs laid down by the manufacturer, I don't see any problem.I think the fault lies with TASS and their service advisers who just do NOT understand the technicalities when it comes to oils.
I had faced the same issue with M & M as well (when I owned a Scorpio).
I have been using Delo-400 in my 2.2 for past 38K kms without any problems whatsoever.
If the service advisers had their way,there would be only two brands in India:Castrol & HP ;-)
Old 15th July 2009, 06:32   #912
Senior - BHPian

[quote=maheshmenon;1382405]

I had also mailed Tata on Saturday regarding their view on Delvac and their response is as below:

We would like to inform you regarding your query that Mobil Delvac Mx oil is not tested and approved by Tata Motors. The use of the same will nullify the warranty.
If you wish to use Mobil, then you can go for Mobil Super 1000 TM. This is CH4 oil which is tried and tested by Tata Motors. This is approved and has a drain interval of 15000 kms. The oil is available in all the Tata Authorized Dealership / Service Center. Please use this oil instead of Delvac.

Thanking you
For Tata Motors
Customer Care Team
Mumbai

How little things change! When I bought my Palio 1.6 GTX, I got a similar answer to my query about using Mobil 1 0W-40! I was told to use the Fiat oil sold in the service center. I then shot off a mail to Fiat South Africa, they gave me a green light. Not that it meant anything in legal terms, because any warranty issues would still be a India matter.
Car companies are staffed by bureaucrats and not enthusiasts, remember that, and use your judgement. But I would not use synthetics to extend the company recommended drain interval at any time, and you will find that Mobil makes the same recommendation even for their long drain oils. In any case, I believe that oil inside a car, and more so in a diesel, expires by kms as well as time, and I would always change the oil in 6 months, regardless of kms done.
With age and experience, I have come to the conclusion that any recognized local brand oil that meets the API spec is good enough if changed regularly along with the oil filter, and that begs the question about expensive brands. Sure, if you can afford it, use it for the mental satisfaction, but I now believe that the effect is more in the minds of the enthusiasts than in the sump of the engine As is the case with other products in our lives that are backed up by psychologically clever marketing.
Fyi, I use Castrol RX Super Plus in my year old Pajero. Engine seems to love it, and it is reasonably priced taking into account the 8 litre sump capacity as well
Old 15th July 2009, 08:13   #913
BHPian

[quote=Sawyer;1384654][quote=maheshmenon;1382405]

I had also mailed Tata on Saturday regarding their view on Delvac and their response is as below:

Thanking you
For Tata Motors
Customer Care Team
Mumbai

How little things change! When I bought my Palio 1.6 GTX, I got a similar answer to my query about using Mobil 1 0W-40! I was told to use the Fiat oil sold in the service center. I then shot off a mail to Fiat South Africa, they gave me a green light. Not that it meant anything in legal terms, because any warranty issues would still be a India matter.
Car companies are staffed by bureaucrats and not enthusiasts, remember that, and use your judgement. But I would not use synthetics to extend the company recommended drain interval at any time, and you will find that Mobil makes the same recommendation even for their long drain oils. In any case, I believe that oil inside a car, and more so in a diesel, expires by kms as well as time, and I would always change the oil in 6 months, regardless of kms done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
With age and experience, I have come to the conclusion that any recognized local brand oil that meets the API spec is good enough if changed regularly along with the oil filter, and that begs the question about expensive brands. Sure, if you can afford it, use it for the mental satisfaction, but I now believe that the effect is more in the minds of the enthusiasts than in the sump of the engine As is the case with other products in our lives that are backed up by psychologically clever marketing.
Fyi, I use Castrol RX Super Plus in my year old Pajero. Engine seems to love it, and it is reasonably priced taking into account the 8 litre sump capacity as well
HDEO oils like Delvac MX & Delo-400 do not cost a bomb (~20-30 Rs. more than Castrol Or HP).These oil are not synthetic but come very close to synthetic oils when it comes to protection of an engine at a fraction of cost on account of excellent additive packages.
The properties of these oils are far superior (TBN,kinematic viscosity at 40 degrees & 100 degrees) as compared to others in the league.The effects of using these oils will be visible in the long run when one encounters issues like sludge formation.Delo-400 has the highest level of detergent ppm (nearly twice that of Castrol GTX diesel) which helps in dispersing the soot.So why not pay ~ 150 Rs more per oil change to save ourselves from costlier engine jobs in the future?

Maybe you should try Delo-400 in your Pajero to feel the difference ;-)
Old 15th July 2009, 08:29   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Delo-400 has the highest level of detergent ppm (nearly twice that of Castrol GTX diesel) which helps in dispersing the soot.So why not pay ~ 150 Rs more per oil change to save ourselves from costlier engine jobs in the future?

Maybe you should try Delo-400 in your Pajero to feel the difference ;-)
Thanks, will look it up. Note though that the Castrol I use is more advanced than their GTD. I still maintain that the difference between regularly changed two good and correct grade oils, if it exists, will be found so far in the future, that it is hard to make a call at this time. And at that time, it will not be easy to isolate any one reason for the state of the engine. And other factors such as ease of availability, possibility of spurious oils, inventory turns to be sure of getting reasonably fresh stock also comes into play. And in any case, everyone from IOC onwards imports the additive packages anyway.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:34   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Just got a jar of Delvac MX from the Mobil Main Distributor (Affiance Enterprises) in Chennai. I was Rs. 680/-per litre +VAT. For a 10L jar, it cost around Rs.1780/
Sorry a fault, it was Rs.160.80/- per liter + VAT and total was Rs.1773/- for 10L jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

How little things change! When I bought my Palio 1.6 GTX, I got a similar answer to my query about using Mobil 1 0W-40! I was told to use the Fiat oil sold in the service center.
Luckily Manipal Motors (now known as Bhooma Motors, god knows why the name change) allowed me to get the oil of my choice. So delvac Mx it is

Cheers

Last edited by maheshmenon : 15th July 2009 at 13:43.

Most Viewed