Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 08:58   #886
Senior - BHPian

@Shishir,

Follow the manual for the service. Do not use your assumptions if you are not certain.

And as for synthetic oil, you can extend the oil change interval to double of what you currently do. But for this, not sure how TASS would react and also the effect to your warranty.
Old 12th July 2009, 09:53   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I got the oil in my BEAR changed @ 25000 kms and now its run for about 33000 kms.
Meaning I got the complete service done at 25k kms.

So now should I get just the oil changed at 33k kms and then a normal service at 40 k kms or wait for 35 k, get the oil changed and then go for the full service @ 45k???
3L? service interval is different for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
This oil change thing is even confusing me someone help me on this the manuall says 15k but here its 7.5 is it necessary tht after using synthetic oils also the oil change shud be done at 7.5k or is it only if the normal oil is used the change has to be done every 7.5.......Really confused!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@Shishir,

Follow the manual for the service. Do not use your assumptions if you are not certain.

And as for synthetic oil, you can extend the oil change interval to double of what you currently do. But for this, not sure how TASS would react and also the effect to your warranty.
Simple

Manual says every 7.5k if you drive in city or so most of the time; ELSE 15k.

About synth; one reason to avoid is coz you can save your time and energy trying to teach them theory about oils.
Old 12th July 2009, 10:31   #888
BHPian

Exact coolant capacity

Anyone knows the exact coolant capacity for 2.2 ?
The maunal says ~ 13 litres,but when I changed the coolant myself,it barely took ~ 7 litres in total.
Old 12th July 2009, 11:44   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Shishir,

Agree with HW here, follow the book, Every 15k or 1 year whichever comes earlier. If you drive in heavy traffic or very dusty conditions, its 7.5k.

I follow 15k/1 year service schedule.
Old 13th July 2009, 10:22   #890
Team-BHP Support

Service interval in the service book which I have is 15K. No mention of 7.5K anywhere!
As for coolant, it takes in around 6-7 liters, last time coolant fill was done, it was 7 liters
Old 13th July 2009, 10:35   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Service interval in the service book which I have is 15K. No mention of 7.5K anywhere!
As for coolant, it takes in around 6-7 liters, last time coolant fill was done, it was 7 liters
TSK there is a table in 2.2 Dicor Service book which mentions 7.5 K for severe operating conditions for example City driven vehicle. So most of us operate the vehicle under severe operating conditions.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:19   #892
Senior - BHPian

Bosch got the Wiper size Wrong!

BEWARE Bosch Wiper buyers:
Have a look at my post here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1381474-post235.html
Old 13th July 2009, 18:48   #893
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi all,
can we have a poll on the service interval. Who all are changing oil at 7.5k , 10K and 15K.
At least guys on BHP opinion will be clear
Old 13th July 2009, 20:07   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Mobil Delvax MX fan ! Its sure makes a difference and muffles engine noise more (more muffled when you stand outside the Safari at idle).

Got it changed at Focus Motors, Alapuzha. Also got BG flush and new filter (161 Rs or so) . Focus is a Tata Service Centre.

I have a oil filter sitting in my Safari now! The one I had bought from outside was for 3.0's and even costed more!
Just got a jar of Delvac MX from the Mobil Main Distributor (Affiance Enterprises) in Chennai. I was Rs. 680/-per litre +VAT. For a 10L jar, it cost around Rs.1780/

Also went to Manipal Motors in the morning, the Service Advisors at first refused to let me get the oil from outside, but a quick talk with the Workshop Manager and he agreed so I am hoping to change it tomorrow.

I had also mailed Tata on Saturday regarding their view on Delvac and their response is as below:

Kind Attn.:- Mr. Mahesh Menon
We are in receipt of your email dated 11.07.09.
We would like to inform you regarding your query that Mobil Delvac Mx oil is not tested and approved by Tata Motors. The use of the same will nullify the warranty.
If you wish to use Mobil, then you can go for Mobil Super 1000 TM. This is CH4 oil which is tried and tested by Tata Motors. This is approved and has a drain interval of 15000 kms. The oil is available in all the Tata Authorized Dealership / Service Center. Please use this oil instead of Delvac.

Thanking you
For Tata Motors
Customer Care Team
Mumbai

So now I am one confused consumer sitting on 10L of Delovac MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
This oil change thing is even confusing me someone help me on this the manuall says 15k but here its 7.5 is it necessary tht after using synthetic oils also the oil change shud be done at 7.5k or is it only if the normal oil is used the change has to be done every 7.5.......Really confused!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It's Given on Pg. 148 of the Manual
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-pg-148.jpg  

Old 13th July 2009, 20:36   #895
BHPian

Finally a solution to the wind noise inside the safari

Well a lot has been written about the wind noise (from the left front window), which is practically a howl at speeds over 60Kms an hour and apparently a lot of us have tried quite a few things to reduce the noise. This problem seems to be there in all the vehicles (the GX included)

Now finally a sure shot solution with actually works !

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-p1010796.jpg

Thats right you are actually looking at it ! With the lugguage rack, attach to the roof rails and bags piled on top, okay i even had a plastic sheet covering the bags, the wind noise was practically non-existant.

I drove the Safari upto a little over 140 kms and there was no howl. Apparently that ugly contraption (which i will be removing over the weekend) causes enough wind turbulance around the front window and stops the noise.

Some people may feel its better to bear with the noise rather than carry all the luggage like shown in the pic, but since I had no choice, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Any thoughts ?
Old 13th July 2009, 20:56   #896
Senior - BHPian

Tail gate Latch/lock retrofit

When my car went for the 30k service, the SA advised that they've been asked to retrofit the tail gate lock / latch with a larger latch, which apparently fixes the rattle once and for all.

You've got to pay for the retrofit, and it costs around 400 for parts, and 300 for labor.

got it installed on my car today. will post some pics and the exact cost tomorrow.

Unfortunately dont have a pic of the latch before the retrofit.
Old 13th July 2009, 20:58   #897
Senior - BHPian

I would say that funny.

And that cant be a All-time solution, so lets find something else guys.
Old 13th July 2009, 21:01   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
When my car went for the 30k service, the SA advised that they've been asked to retrofit the tail gate lock / latch with a larger latch, which apparently fixes the rattle once and for all.

You've got to pay for the retrofit, and it costs around 400 for parts, and 300 for labor.

got it installed on my car today. will post some pics and the exact cost tomorrow.

Unfortunately dont have a pic of the latch before the retrofit.
I was once suggested to fix 2 latches instead of one and that helped for a couple of weeks but then back to square one.

Hope this new solution of Fixing bigger latch works for longer time.

Please keep us updated about it as time progresses.
Old 13th July 2009, 21:08   #899
Senior - BHPian

@Umang:
Do you mean to say that, having one of those luggage carriers (the kind that you will see in that Airport Innova's, as shown here ( Airlift - Luxury innova car to BIAL (Rs 300/- only anywhere from Bangalore). )?

Do you think that will work? It will be a better option and this, mmm...., DIY.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 13th July 2009 at 21:10.
Old 14th July 2009, 08:00   #900
BHPian

Quote:
@Umang:
Do you mean to say that, having one of those luggage carriers (the kind that you will see in that Airport Innova's, as shown here ( Airlift - Luxury innova car to BIAL (Rs 300/- only anywhere from Bangalore). )?

Do you think that will work? It will be a better option and this, mmm...., DIY.
Hmm, I am not sure if the carrier by itself will work, atleast mine did not. I mean the bags on the top made the difference. The noise was very much there without any bags on top.

However with all that cladding on the carrier (image in your link), it may be worth a try. If it causes enough turbulance around the left window it may just do the trick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks