Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:37   #856
Senior - BHPian

There's 8 lit of Mobil Delvax sitting in my 2.2 ! The TASS wont change the oil for me since its under warranty and its not their company car or so. Bull!

Read that one need special wrench to unscrew the oil filter..true? Cant I do it with a regular spanner? And I do need a new oil seal? Forgot to buy it !
Old 4th July 2009, 09:18   #857
Senior - BHPian

@ das: no buddy, you cannot open the oil filter with any regular spanner. you need the filter wrench (commonly known as 'filter pana' in here) to unscrew it.

just to change the new filter, its not necessary to change the oil seal.
Old 4th July 2009, 12:42   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
After reading your post I checked all my doors and found that many of those rubber bushes are missing. I didnt even realize till now that those exist and have fallen off. Are these not available as spare in TASS?

How did you close them with rubber solution? Can you explain pls? It will help me in fixing my Safari as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can somebody post a picture of the same?
This is how it looks just above the window from inside the door. They are present on each door including the rear one.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-srg_0127.jpg

Remove them, use the rubber solution and spread it across the inner surface and around the rim only.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-fb_0126.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-rgs.jpg

Above is just a depiction on how it would look from the inside, but a lot thinner.

Wait for 5-10 min for the glue to dry and snap them back in.

This is how a FBY looks like for Safari, you can notice the sensor below the word "Wire" in the picture.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-flw_0122.jpg
Old 4th July 2009, 16:07   #859
Senior - BHPian

@JKDAS>> Dont DIY. Go to any mechanic who can do an oil change on a Sumo. They will do it for you. Costs 60 bucks in Bombay for a neat job.
Old 5th July 2009, 00:26   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
many modern cars have this. all cars having cruise control must compulsarily have this.
its called the electronic throttle control & i have heard it is derived from the drive by wire system used in airplanes.

advantages are smoother & quicker throttle response, efficient use of fuel & its maintainence free.

in the same category, the innova & scorpio has this.
thanks, that was good info and new tech stuff learnt.
Old 5th July 2009, 13:17   #861
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

2 Questions. How difficult is it to get the current 2.2 Safari's front end looks changed to the old TCIC safari look? Or let me frame the question in a different way, is it even possible? If yes, how easy or difficult?

Second, is there any way I can get new alloys of the same design as the old TCIC Safari?

Please help here.Thanks
Old 5th July 2009, 21:10   #862
Senior - BHPian

I had a few issues with the vehicle mainly engine jerking and hesitating in 1500 to 2000 rpm band. The following codes were seen during the first service

TASC didnt have a clue about it so they escalated to TML. Now wait starts

1. P0245 - VGT DRIVE SHOT TO GROUND.
2. PO489 - EGR SOLENOID CONTROL
3. Brake pulling towards left.
Old 6th July 2009, 00:35   #863
Team-BHP Support

Most probably you are looking at new Wiring harness.
As for the brakes, all the best is what I can say.
After 19000kms of torture that problem is finally gone from mine.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:36   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
There's 8 lit of Mobil Delvax sitting in my 2.2 ! The TASS wont change the oil for me since its under warranty and its not their company car or so. Bull!

Read that one need special wrench to unscrew the oil filter, true? Cant I do it with a regular spanner? And I do need a new oil seal? Forgot to buy it !

Hi jk das even I had faced a similar problem recently when I went in for a30k oil change the company people where against the use of other oils saying the warranty problem will arise in the long run in case if there is any engine problem the comapany would just ignore my claim stating this . Then finally I found a way out they approve Castrol Edge 5w40 grade oil which is full synthetic and it also goes along with company warranty so thats the better option I feel.And the engine is really smooth now. According to me its better u stick to the company recomendations then let any local garage guy touch the engine
Old 6th July 2009, 13:43   #865
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the input guys.

Mobil Delvax MX fan ! Its sure makes a difference and muffles engine noise more (more muffled when you stand outside the Safari at idle).

Got it changed at Focus Motors, Alapuzha. Also got BG flush and new filter (161 Rs or so) . Focus is a Tata Service Centre.

I have a oil filter sitting in my Safari now! The one I had bought from outside was for 3.0's and even costed more!

Last edited by jkdas : 6th July 2009 at 13:44.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:03   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
I had a few issues with the vehicle mainly engine jerking and hesitating in 1500 to 2000 rpm band. The following codes were seen during the first service

TASC didnt have a clue about it so they escalated to TML. Now wait starts

1. P0245 - VGT DRIVE SHOT TO GROUND.
2. PO489 - EGR SOLENOID CONTROL
3. Brake pulling towards left.
Let TATA CS and ERC resolve this by themselves, as suggested dont try to rectify this.

They will need to see/feel the symptoms themselves before they start work on it, so maintain as-is running.
Old 6th July 2009, 20:02   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Let TATA CS and ERC resolve this by themselves, as suggested dont try to rectify this.

They will need to see/feel the symptoms themselves before they start work on it, so maintain as-is running.
Dadu.. I have recieved a mailer from CS and they have raised it to the concerned. ETA is 2 days. I am maintaining status-quo. Will update as soon as i have info.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:56   #868
BHPian

ECU Reprogramming?

Hi

I am newcomer to the forum. Thanks for this really useful thread on the Tata Safari. I have an October 2007 2.2 Ltr which has done 40,000 kms so far.

I have had many of the problems reported in this forum myself and have found it really useful.

The worst of my problems so far was the timing belt getting cut near Kunigal and having the vehicle towed to Hassan where they replaced the timing belt over three days. Only later did they realize that TML had actually given a guidance for replacing the entire timing belt kit and so a subsequent visit a month later was made to have the timing belt kit installed/upgraded.

My ongoing problem has been with the Service check light and the ECU reporting rails/solenoid errors. The 80 test works every time on my car for bringing up the service light.

After trying many things from the sedimenter to the coolant tranducer, etc., I have presently taken it to Concorde for diagnosis.

After their various tests, initially Concorde said that the car will need to be taken to TVS for detailed testing and only then they can confirm what exactly the problem is - fuel pump, rail, injectors, etc. Subsequently, they have informed me that they need to upgrade the software and reprogram the ECU and that should fix the problem.

The Concorde person had told me to give the car for 8 days since the ECU has to be removed and sent to Chennai for reprogramming. When I made a little noise about such a long duration the car being unavailable, he has now said that he is getting another ECU from Chennai which they will either replace or put temporarily while mine is sent to Chennai.

Has anyone faced this problem? Any ideas what could be wrong? Reading the forum I thought it looks like an injector problem but now I am confused.

Thanks
Old 9th July 2009, 17:26   #869
Team-BHP Support

Looks like you are having similar service light problem as mine had.
First of all concorde is taking you for a ride.
In my case the Delphi/TVS engineer came on site.
They changed ECU and wiring harness and did road test, service light problem did not go away.
After that they checked the fuel lines/injectors etc., again no use.
After lots of hit and trial things worked out.

This ECU reprogramming etc., and sending ECU to chennai is a new one. Contact Tata customer care, and ask them to give you a replacement ECU temporarily till your cars ecu gets analyzed
Old 9th July 2009, 17:36   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post
Hi

I am newcomer to the forum. Thanks for this really useful thread on the Tata Safari. I have an October 2007 2.2 Ltr which has done 40,000 kms so far.

I have had many of the problems reported in this forum myself and have found it really useful.

The worst of my problems so far was the timing belt getting cut near Kunigal and having the vehicle towed to Hassan where they replaced the timing belt over three days. Only later did they realize that TML had actually given a guidance for replacing the entire timing belt kit and so a subsequent visit a month later was made to have the timing belt kit installed/upgraded.

My ongoing problem has been with the Service check light and the ECU reporting rails/solenoid errors. The 80 test works every time on my car for bringing up the service light.

After trying many things from the sedimenter to the coolant tranducer, etc., I have presently taken it to Concorde for diagnosis.

After their various tests, initially Concorde said that the car will need to be taken to TVS for detailed testing and only then they can confirm what exactly the problem is - fuel pump, rail, injectors, etc. Subsequently, they have informed me that they need to upgrade the software and reprogram the ECU and that should fix the problem.

The Concorde person had told me to give the car for 8 days since the ECU has to be removed and sent to Chennai for reprogramming. When I made a little noise about such a long duration the car being unavailable, he has now said that he is getting another ECU from Chennai which they will either replace or put temporarily while mine is sent to Chennai.

Has anyone faced this problem? Any ideas what could be wrong? Reading the forum I thought it looks like an injector problem but now I am confused.

Thanks
Anand,

1) write to TataMotors customer service, and make a noise.
2) Speak to Mr. Muralidharan the Customer Service Manager and tell him to get the TVS/Delphi people onsite. Harish is the customer service manager at the Hosur Road Service Center. he should be able to help.
3) Ask them to get their OBD laptop and check in front of you what errors the ECU is showing.. In my case there was a rail pressure error, leading to change of injectors. in my case also the 80 test was repeatable.
4) They can raise a VOR spares request to ensure speedier delivery of spares.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks